Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Gluten-Full

Oof my belly. I was a little unprepared food-wise today and ended up eating a little too much of things I try to generally eat in moderation...
I had baked matcha muffins on Friday night using this recipe, and ate one for breakfast (with an unpictured banana.) (I also ate the second one in the bag later in the day.)


They're good but they're not LPQ-level. However, I will probably make them again because I have a pricey bag of matcha to use up. I might use some ideas from this recipe too.
THEN, one of my managers at work sent a co-worker, Marta, and I out to buy snacks for our floor as thanks for working on a huge, tedious order a couple weeks ago. She managed to shake $40 out of upper management to feed our little mouths. We gleefully ran through the farmer's market and Whole Foods.
Not all of what we bought was vegan, but a fair amount was, some of it was even gluten-free, and we also took into consideration that another co-worker can't eat chocolate. Here's the spread, and my girl Marta's thumbs up on the sweet job she did presenting the SNAX (this is about half of what we got - the rest was at the managers' desk.)
BEHIND THE SCENES AT YR LOCAL INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE:

back row: pretzels, two kinds of hummus (v), popcorn
middle row: Seaweed rice crackers (v), pita (v), farmer's market apple cider donuts (sadly not v)
front row: Back to Nature cookies - chocolate chip and peanut butter sandwich cookies (both v), mini pumpkin loaves, brownie bites
I ate two pieces of pita with hummus, a couple chocolate chip cookies, some seaweed crackers, and a peanut butter cookie. Not badddd but still oof. AND for lunch, I went to Paradis, where the only vegan option was more gluten:

Kale and orzo with artichoke hearts, olive, and sundried tomatoes. I also found two flecks of cheese in there that made me angry. I flicked 'em away and continued eating. WHY PARADIS WHY??
You might think that was enough food for the day but I made miso soup for dinner:

With rice, tofu, onion, collards, seaweed, and shiitake mushrooms.
Now I clutch my stomach and watch Anna Karenina. Good night!

16 comments:

  1. Sorry you distressed your tummy, but it looks like you had a good time doing it! The muffins look great, though I can't have caffeine so I wonder what would happen if I ate two. (I once had a totally unexpected caffeine reaction from (vegan) coffee ice cream!) You really got a lot of stuff for your $40 — it's fun to go on a shopping spree with someone else' money, isn't it? Ending the day with miso soup was a good idea — hope it helped settle your complaining stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had a graaand old time. No caffeine?? What a bummer. It's sort of surprising that it still affects people when it's been cooked like that, but it does seem to.
      Yeah, if only other people funded my shopping sprees more often!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your tummy is angry with you but gluten is just so damn tasty. Your matcha muffins looks really good. I have never tried the LPQ ones but I bet yours could definitely hold their own next to them. I could eat dolmas, pita and hummus for every meal for the rest of my life and be very happy (minus the discomfort that would likely follow, ha). Your soup looks perfect and hopefully it helped settle your tummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty tasty... I remade the matcha muffins today and they were worse, haha. Probably because I used a different sweetener. The LPQ ones are better for sure. The pita/hummus match was delicious. Don't know why I don't eat it more often.

      Delete
  3. I, too, would feel super gross after pita with hummus, chocolate chip cookies, seaweed crackers and a peanut butter cookie. Stupid comradery at work. I hate that sh*z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha in a union shop, comradery is a must. Overeating for the good of the union.

      Delete
  4. This is an awesome day of awesomeness and I hope Shen takes note that the proper way to eat a matcha muffin is twice in one day, not half in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she's noted that. But then she went and ate a bunch of celery.

      Delete
    2. I know, wasn't that so upsetting? Celery. It doesn't get any worse.

      Delete
  5. For the record, Marta's thumb makes that picture. Excellent spread, and I completely understand the carb days that happen. It seems to me that "all veggie" days happen with less frequency than "carb days" over here. At least it was a variety, and the beautiful greens at lunch and in the miso soup kind of balance it out. (Boo hiss to the cheese!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, totally!! I took another shot without the thumbs up and it just didn't have the same sass.

      Delete
  6. What completely blows me away is how much food you were able to buy at WF, and what you showed was only half! I can walk out with a box of crackers, some fresh fruit, some veg cheese, and maybe something from the hot bar, and my 40 bucks is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were pretty pleased with what we were able to buy too. marta and I are accomplished food shoppers. We had 4 dollars or so left over and I was like "maybe we should just return the rest?" and marta was adamant: "No! We gotta spend it all!"
      We gave the change to a homeless person.

      Delete
  7. Ugh, the cheese flecks. That's happened to me at Chipotle and I've screamed the same thing (to myself).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet gluten! Thank you for the blessings of cake and bread and pretzels. Not so much for the gluten bloat afterwards though. Still yum.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.