Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Super Spices brightening up Gray Days

This weekend in New York was so beautiful, but the chill and snow and gray will be coming back. These foods might fight that force for you:
Still more Choosing Raw spirulina barley with tahini-turmeric dressing, this time with steamed broccoli and carrots (roasted in olive oil with salt and more turmeric.)


Still with the spirulina theme:


and yet more turmeric in this tofu scramble - part of a complete breakfast! (or brunch)

G's plate - toasted pumpernickel bagel with Tofutti cream cheese, mango, salsa, scramble, black beans, avocado.

And mine. With mucho delicious coffee.
Besides spirulina and turmeric doing good for yr insides, they are also very good for yr outsides. I've said before that this winter was really rough on my skin and I got super dried out. Two face masks I've made recently that really helped moisturize and brighten my skin are:
-avocado, agave, and turmeric mashed into a paste, and
-spirulina, agave, and apple cider vinegar.

Spirulina and turmeric help even out skin tone and nourish the cells, agave and avocado are moisturizing, and apple cider vinegar is an antibacterial. Two people commented on my skin looking better after both of these! And, being completely natural they are mild enough to use more frequently than other masks. (I also use a green tea/tea tree oil/apple cider vinegar toner most days.)
Though of course, I'd rather just eat the food...

24 comments:

  1. My skin is so dry that my hands have started cracking and bleeding. Apparently I didn't need to buy plane tickets to California, I could've just smushed my hands into avocado?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, definitely. They're cheap there, no?

      Delete
  2. Hasn't this weather been incredible?! I've been soaking up every minute of it because I know it's going to end soon. Love your use of spices in these beautiful meals. I've heard of using turmeric in a face mask but the color of it always makes me nervous that I'll look like an oompa loompa. I'll have to try it though! Thanks for the mask recipes, they sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I noticed my skin was slightly yellow but I did the mask at night and it faded away overnight. plus my face is always kinda reddish so the spirulina one evened the tone out nicely.

      Delete
  3. I'm too messy for masks. When I dyed my hair green, my ears/neck/fingers/bathroom/pillowcase/tub were green for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green hair only means you are too punk for face masks.

      Delete
  4. OMG, my skin is literally falling off of my face right now. It's so gross. I should try these! Also, your meals are always so colorful and healthy-looking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine was seriously the same. Try the avocado turmeric one!

      Delete
  5. Nice blue sponge.

    I'm all dried out as well, but if I'm lucky enough to get a good Avocado, I'll put it in my face, not on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was greg's shot!
      Yes, I felt very guilty about not eating the avo.

      Delete
  6. There would be an awful tempetation with those face masks to try and eat a crafty bit - that's allowed isn't it? I'm enjoying your turmeric moment - I'm having a bit of a similar thing for asafoetida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asafoetida! I don't think I'd know what to do with that.

      Delete
  7. your breakfast plate looks so perfect. I just had breakfast, and here I am drooling over yours! I've never actually had spirulina... for some reason it sorta freaks me out. So green!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS freaky. I miss the breakfast myself.

      Delete
  8. I'm afraid if I made an edible mask I'd just eat it. I just love the rich colors on your plate, esp. the roasted carrots. I've been trying to use more turmeric in my cooking, but maybe I should just add it to the tub and take a bath in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea roasted carrots are so beautiful! The tub idea sounds very relaxing.

      Delete
  9. Ha- I'm with shen- the blue sponge photobombed your pic!
    I once dated this guy who had the most amazing hair commercial hair and glowing perfect skin- he ate at least one avocado a day, it was like a food group for him.....
    Your brunching looks like such a great assortment! Hope G's bagel was legit.
    And i'm so lame- i thought "Bliss on grand" meant grand st on the les/chinatown area! I'm almost never in the 'burg but need to fix that....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a Ken doll!
      Aw, i try to spend as little time in manhattan as possible but Grand st/ Chinatown is interesting area. Williamsburg is overwhelming for different reasons, but the eats are good...

      Delete
  10. Spirulina is one ingredient that I never really got into, but I also never experimented with it much either. I do love anything that is so brilliantly green, so I aught to give it another shot. Maybe a face mask would be a good way to ease in- That sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very bizarre ingredient. I definitely cut back on the called for amount of spirulina! But the dressing mellowed it out.

      Delete
  11. Delicious food pics AND face mask recipes? What could be better?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want any Super Car Information with Pictures...??? Here is Super Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tahini-turmeric dressing looks beautiful against the veggies and I love Suja juices!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.