Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, January 3, 2014

Post #667: The Snowstorm of the Beast

Aw, it wasn't no thing. I mean, I called out of work, but there were a lot of reasons for that.
Got outta bed lateish, mostly drank coffee (and a spoonful of almond butter.) Worked on some poetry and read for a bit, had lunch around 1:

             Brown rice, shredded beets, chickpeas. With a tahini and mustard drizzle on top.
The snow wasn't super deep but it was damn cold out. Wanted to go for a walk, but first I prepared myself with a cup of ginger tea and opened the window to test the waters, so to speak. (Not in the literal sense, like these freaks!)


When I cracked the kitchen window open to go sit on the fire escape, Haxan came running into the room, skidding to a stop on her fuzzy paws. You could almost hear the *eeeeerrrrTTTTT* skreech as she was hit with a cold gust of wind.


               The backyard. Lots of kitty paw prints in the snow from other, BRAVER cats.
                                                                      Da roof.

Then I went on a real walk. I mean, like, off my property.



When I got back, damned if I didn't want a hot toddy (via Faulkner) but I just had some miso soup.

This bowl is seeing a lot of face time lately. I bought a bag of pre-cooked hon-shimeji at an Asian convenience store the other day. I knew they were mushrooms, but I wasn't sure which kind. They don't really seem to have a specific KIND... anyway, they aren't bad. This bowl had ribboned carrot, kale, tofu, hon shimeji mushrooms, onion, spices, and miso.
Go snuggle with a furbaby or something!

26 comments:

  1. I like this website but Indian food is very spice and testy like palak paneer, matar paneer it's very testy. If you want this test so go for Indian restaurant in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, snow! I remain jealous. NYC seems to overreact to snow, doesn't it? We were there for the original snowpocalypse, and even though everyone was freaking out, it was totally normal outside. Also: MISO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well it's never really the snow itself that's bad but the trains get tooootally screwed up. You mean the storm in 2011? That one was kinda ntense as I remember but nothing compared to 1996!! It was above my waist!!

      Delete
  3. I have no snow, I have no fur baby, I don't even have any shredded beets. Damn. You win AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAD. Beets are pretty easy to find, ya know. Cats too.

      Delete
  4. Coffee, almond butter, writing poetry, reading is pretty much my idea of a perfect morning. Also, it's been -36C here the past few days. My hair literally froze because I had the gall to shower before leaving for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that has happened to me before too. I hope you don't get sick!!

      Delete
  5. I'm with Haxan... I was like "aw hell naw!" to the bitter cold other than to dig my car/my brother's house out of the snow. Very cool that you were able to get out and explore though, you got some beautiful pics out of it too :) A hot bowl of miso soup sounds like a perfect way to warm up after spending some time out in the freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never seems as cold when it snows than when it is just windy and icy! The days after this were painful!

      Delete
  6. I laughed quite a bit during this post: Haxan's expression and your interpretation (plus talk bubble) is spot on! Ha ha! Remy is quite similar when I offer for him to go outside when it's super cold and snowy.

    I only went to workout and shovel my walk. . .I could use a walk off of my property! ;) What a gorgeous scene!

    Miso soup eaters, unite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, poor Remy! Does he have booties??

      Delete
  7. I like this site but Shredded Beets with Tahini and Mustard does not sound very testy to me.

    How can the Ginger Tea be 100% Ginger? What percentage is the Tea?

    You had some gangstas up on da roof leaving actual graffiti I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you don't like beets!! It was good!
      I guess technically it is a "tisane" - the only ingredient is ginger!

      Delete
  8. Awww Hexan is so cute! I love seeing pictures of snowy NYC too, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow snow snow! For all my winter hate, I'm actually kind of sad that we haven't gotten any snow this year (other than 1 flurry). I'm ready for some, damn this insane-crazy-almost-sub-zero cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to know all is right in the world when it snows. Winter ain't winter without it!

      Delete
  10. Aw Haxan, you have other redeeming qualities (love your tile btw). You took full advantage of the snow day! I was shoveling, cooking, and cleaning: in that order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like our kitchen and bathroom tile too, ha! Sounds like you were busy.

      Delete
  11. Just had a big bowl of noodle soup myself, I could use a cup of ginger tea though. Awesome pics of snow and Haxan but I'm extra grateful that I live in sunny California. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ginger tea is really good! It'll settle the noodles too :)

      Delete
  12. Wow, that soup looks good! I hope it's helping you to stay warm back there. But, I have to say how IMPRESSED I am with that sparkling floor! We mop ours every few days, and it doesn't look like that. Humph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! well, thanks. It actually needs a clean... such is the beauty of photography :)

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a good snowday. That path pic with the sunset is just lovely. <3!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.