Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, January 11, 2014

From Brownies to Blondies, and everything in between

                                                          coffee, cara cara orange

Raw kale, chickpeas, dressed with sriracha and tahini. Plastic fork. If this photo is underwhelming, it's because the meal was. Unfortunately it lasted three days. Like an anti-miracle.

This meal, however, was a lot tastier than it looks. Raw kale, shredded beets, rice, tempeh, capers, Braggs, and nooch.

This raw cherry pie bar was the product of a $50 dollar Christmas bonus from work. Delicious, but not something I would buy with my own money.

                 Toasted TJs sesame bagel with TJs vegan cream cheese, tomatoes, spinach.


I made mushroom barley soup for those super cold days earlier in the week. Super simple recipe, based on one from Martha Rose Shulman's NYTimes Recipes for Health cookbook. I added lentils too.

Brownies from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Joy of Vegan Baking. Hot damn were these tasty. And no added fat! It's all applesauce!

                     Spinach, tomato, sweet potato, tempeh salad. With Braggs and nooch.

                       Thai Lime Chili roasted cashews from Trader Joes. They grew on me.

Spinach, cabbage, carrot, mushroom, tempeh, sundried tomato salad. With hummus dressing later.

From Paradis! It had been a while! Escarole, spinach, roasted cauliflower, roasted almonds, balsamic cooked onions. Fa REALS.

Shen made me do it. A hemp seed blondie from Le Pain Quotidien. Hopefully these won't become my daily bread because they are pricey, but very good. And bigger than the photo would lead one to believe.

This is what the mushroom barley soup helped with. Pretty frost design, yes, but this is INSIDE the apartment. And next to a radiator too! Today I ate lunch outside, though, so I guess things are getting back to "normal" temps, whatever that means for global warming times.

23 comments:

  1. Another mega post. It's about time.

    Congrats on the $50 bonus! Hope that was given cash in hand.

    Why buy TJ's Bagels when you can get actual NYC Bagels so easily? Even I won't buy TJ's Bagels anymore. Explique Sil Vous Plais?

    LPQ didn't have any Hemp Seed Blondies down here today. I was worried LPQ might have stopped making them. Now I can stop worrying.

    I'm no energy efficiency expert, but you might want to tack up a plastic sheet over that window till spring. Unless your utilities are included in your rent, then screw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually on a credit/gift card, which was kind of annoying, but at least it meant I didn't waste it at a bar...
      I don't know why I keep buying those crappy bagels!! It's like some sort of brainwashing Stockholm syndrome!
      Yes, now you can stop worrying.
      Interesting tip on covering the window. I don't believe I've ever been that proactive.

      Delete
    2. Why are those credit/gift cards so annoying? I got a Visa one for $25 from a co-worker and I'm thinking it'll just stay at the bottom of my purse for good rather than my trying to find somewhere that will accept it.

      Delete
  2. So much deliciousness! The kale & chickpea sounds like it was off to a great start, what would you add to it in the future? Brownies and blondies - oh yes! Although I would probably be partial to the former. ;)

    Holy moly, that's freezing! Beautiful yet worrisome that it is inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad, the kale just didn't wilt as much as I'd have liked. Probably sundried tomatoes and avocado would have helped a lot.

      Delete
  3. Whoa so much awesomeness packed into one post!! You always make the prettiest salads, even in the dead of winter! Hooray for your bonus, I'm glad that you splurged and treated yourself to something you wouldn't normally buy. I agree with Shen, bagel store bagels are a MUST in NY :) The brownies and the blondie look incredible, I'm very jealous of both! As for the frost, that's what my car looked like earlier this week, but thankfully we are back up to unseasonably warm temps now. That is insane that the frost was inside your apt! Hopefully you were able to stay warm as best as you could and enjoy the warmth while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I know I messed up on tha bagels haha.

      Delete
  4. So many salads! You always make me want more of them, which is particularly nice right now since I just got two big bunches of kale at the farmer's market. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anti-miracle meals are the WORST. Also, I have picked up that brand of raw pies more times than I can count since 2007 (when I first spent time giddily exploring Whole Foods in the States), but I have never been able to justify the cost. The LPQ hemp blondie I would totally splurge on though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be so happy to devour every last thing in this post. I absolutely adore cara cara oranges and am so happy that they're back in stores right now! Super curious about those hemp blondies, but based on the cost, I may just have to experiment with my own recipe creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too.Love cara caras. I'd be interested to see how you make the blondie.

      Delete
  7. Wow, so much food! I've had those cashews, and I'm not sure they ever grew on me, so kudos to you. Ah, that frost inside - now that's what I call cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salads always looks so good!! Paradis has an edge with the basalmic onions- but those are stupid easy to make. Glad you splurged with the bonus from work!
    I don't do chili but those coconut cashews from trader joes are my kryptonite. And that hemp seed blondie is so amazing! I actually got the chia pudding at LPQ the other day- the best one i've had aside from quintessence. Who knew??
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those and resisted, somehow. Gotta look for the chia pudding now I guess.

      Delete
  9. Global warming? It's freezing outside! Crazy liberals ;-)

    I've never seen such a sad kale salad, let alone a sad salad from you at all. And a plastic fork? I have no words.

    Are those Marconia almonds in your Paradis salad? I had to break my addiction to those: mucho expensive. Also, the Thai-lime cashews, which I now can't stand the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are marconas, yes. I've only bought them once. Pretty pricey, yeah.

      Delete
  10. So much variety (not including the three days of kale and chickpeas). Makes me feel like I've been eating the same beet burgers and carrot soup for weeks. The frost inside your window looks serious. I think we should stop calling it 'global warming' and start calling it 'climate change'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's trade. I'd love some carrot soup.

      Delete
  11. Er, frost inside? The weather is not playing nicely. Still, hoping that hemp blondie made up for it. Damn Pain Quotedien for not selling them over here. And tell me about the tempeh - was that from the packet or did you zhuzh it a bit? I want to be on Team Tempeh but never seem to manage it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not zhuzh. I like tempeh as is.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.