Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Tis the Treat Season

Did a pretty rum job of prep for the week, as I was thinking most single-mindedly about Christmas dishes. Therefore, more meals out than usual. Otherwise, just quick random food I didn't catch many photos of. Not super healthy, but hopefully it'll clean up soon.


Too lazy to buy a bagel. Here's Galaxy vegan cream cheese on GF toast with raspberry jam. Shout out to Victoria Maccarone from elementary school whose cream cheese and jelly sandwiches I always wanted to trade for.

Made mulled wine with my friend. This had cinnamon, oranges, apples, lemon, and honey mixed into the wine. Not as boozy as Shen's glogg.


Ganja pizza from Viva Herbal. Red onion, roasted garlic, tempeh, kalamata olives, hemp seeds, tomato sauce and pesto on a spelt crust. This thing is massive. I had to split it in two AND use a fork occasionally; an abomination when it comes to New York pizza.

They also sell Vegan Treats baked goods at Viva. I picked up this chocolate chip cookie. Pretty good but I actually prefer Peacefood's, which are cheaper anyway.

G got me a bowl and official miso spoon for Christmas. The soup tastes even better out of this. Kale, scallion, mushroom, seaweed, spices + miso. Kinda running low on groceries.

He also introduced me to the fact that three varieties of Duane Reade's store brand cookies are accidentally vegan, which is DANGEROUS. These are their version of Thin Mints.
So yeah, been hittin all the food groups from bready to sweet to processed to boozy. And miso.
Also, my brother is going back to San Francisco tomorrow so we went with the folks to the newly expanded Queens Museum today.


              my mom says, "Now I know what to do with all the crap in the garage!" ARTTTT

                                                       Panorama of the boroughs.

                                                Different, wetter angle of the Unisphere.

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely certain items of crockery and utensils make food taste better. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I oughta stop nabbing dishes off the street, then, maybe.

      Delete
  2. I have one of those spoons and I LOVE it!! It's so fun to use! I like the shout out to your classmate too, gotta give credit where credit is due ;) You are right, fork usage is an abomination to NY pizza. NY does many things very well and pizza and bagels are 100% the best in NY. I bet that mulled wine smelled so good! Haha your mom is awesome, that comment made me laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, major slurpage with that spoon.

      Delete
  3. The pizza made me want pizza and the miso soup made me want miso soup, and the museum wall? Ha! That made me want to go to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you couldn't do it already?? ;) I've always loved the Julia Childs wall of graph squares and everything hanging up! This reminded me of that...

      Delete
  4. What is it with Cream Cheese & Jelly Sandwiches that triggers childhood memories?

    I ain't no Mulled Wine expert, but it looks like you made hot Sangria to me.

    Ganja Pizza sounds promising. Drug Store brand cookies don't.

    Sweet gift from G.

    Always wondered why they called them 'boroughs'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that was "a thing" elsewhere because I thought about it, and it actually sounds kinda weird. It's not like kids have a work fridge to keep the cc from going bad, right? Did we? I can't remember!
      The drug store cookies were surprisingly good. Or, the Thin mints are. Their fudge graham crackers (also vegan) don't fare so well.
      Nope, never wondered. I think it's because they were their own land for a long time and only later incorporated into the city. Not sure though.

      Delete
  5. My food groups are quite similar right now! I feel like a log! Ha ha! I'm a thin crust gal all the way, so I wouldn't be a lover of that pizza. Also, whilst living in Boulder, Ganja was another name for Marijuana. Any other ingredient you'd like to mention? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think it's called Ganja pizza because of the hemp seeds on it! Though I did feel pretty happy and sleepy after eating it too....

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited for your proper spoon! If anyone's miso deserves one, it's yours. Thanks for the reminder that the Queens mu finally reopened; I've been dying to see that panarama. PS go for the VT cowboy cookie next time: far superior. Also, Terri's ccc is pretty durn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it! There's a super cool Bread and Puppets chapel in there now too. Not sure they sell the cowboy cookie at Viva, but I'll keep an eye out at Atlas. I love Peacefood's cowboy cookie too. Still have yet to get to Terri though.

      Delete
  7. I think mulled wine may have to make an appearance at our house very soon! ZOMG SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO good. I was wary of the lemon he threw in but it wasn't bad.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure what Thin Mints are, but they look chuffing fantastic. As does mushroom miso - big up the fungi. It deserves its own spoon - it's like soup royalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! They're thin chocolate cookies with a minty chocolate coating! So refreshing as you throw them down yr throat!
      Big up funghi!

      Delete
  9. Happy new year! I love your new bowl & spoon. And the pizza looks fantastic. I just saw that you went to see the Breeders!!! I can't even imagine how wonderful that was. The Pixies are coming here this year, but seriously, the cheapest ticket is like over $200 because they're playing at some fancy concert hall and I just can't bring myself to pay that much. Anyways, I'm super happy that you got to go to that show. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoaaa I like the Pixies but I love Kim Deal SO much!! So happy I was able to see them too! Apparently the Breeders tour fairly regularly, so catch them if you can! These were 35 dollars and that's about my limit on ticket prices.

      Delete
  10. I loe your proper miso bowl & spoon. I really wanna get myself a little set like that too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.