Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, December 27, 2013

This Christmas Just Past Post

We did it! We made it! Told ya we could. Christmas eve eve, getting a little too into the (Christmas) spirits. This was an Eileen idea - cranberry infused gin.

With grapefruit juice, it made for a pretty pink drink. With a wallop.
Christmas morning baking:

                                                            Headed into the oven

They are the Cranberry-Walnut Thumbprints from VCIYCJ. I used raspberry jam rather than jellied cranberry sauce.
I did a Ridgewood food tour shopping spree as a present for my well-traveled uncle:

Ajvar, honey, sour cherry jam, stuffed grape leaves. I think I hit Turkish, German, Bulgarian and Polish goods.

Also tea.
I left out one gift and partook Christmas afternoon:

In my defense, it wouldn't fit in the shoebox...plus it would probably have gotten shaken up or broken. Anyway, I did have breakfast before the beer.


See? Toasted sesame bagel with Earth Balance, coffee with Silk Egg Nog! Holiday twist, ya know.
Here is my plate from the meal:

Scarlet Barley from Appetite for Reduction, with white beans added; roasted South American sweet potato and onion; raw kale salad with roasted carrots, red onion, and avocado; steamed broccoli and cauliflower. This was super filling. So good, though. Lots of wine as well.
Dessert: two cookies, and cooked strawberries (with vanilla and brown sugar.) There were other non-vegan options. No one starved, that's for sure.

It was a very nice holiday! Two sets of aunts and uncles came, as well as my brother, cousin, and two young British guests. It was nice to have a happy, full house and stomach.
Happy winter, from Haxan and I.


21 comments:

  1. There is a store where I live selling these cauliflowers that are the color of the cheese sauce powder in Kraft Dinner. I asked why they were that color and not the usual white but she didn't know other than they obviously has been crossed with something. Is there anyone out there who knows what they have done to end up with this color cauli. I know about the Brocolli cross one that is green. It tasted just like a regular white one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheddar Cauliflower it's called. Does sort of taste Cheddary. You're welcome.

      Delete
  2. A lovely holiday! I love unique and cultural food gifting! I hope your uncle enjoys it. The thumbprint cookies look sooo good! Happy Winter to you and Haxan, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my mom got some foodstuffs as well, me too. Gifts you can use!

      Delete
  3. Aw, what a colourful plate! And cookies.... cookies yes. And alcohol... alcohol yes. Merry Christmas Maud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. Again. Captures the spirit of Christmas with all the love, generosity, family and two young Brits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only two strapping young lads appeared magically every holiday.

      Delete
    2. I was going to ask you about the mysterious mention of two young British guests, as well.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a perfect holiday celebration! That drink looks gorgeous and sounds so good! I'd probably fare better with cranberry infused vodka but it sounds amazing! And it's so pretty! The cookies came out really gorgeous too. Looks like a beautiful meal was shared with good company. Those cooked strawberries sound amazing... vanilla and brown sugar, yum! I bet that would be good served over ice cream or even banana soft serve. Mmmm. Happy winter to you and Haxan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gave me a headache but it was pretty. The cookies were enjoyed though! Yr right, the warm berries would be delicious over ice cream!

      Delete
  6. Yayy! The holidays are definitely the perfect time for liquor infusions. And I can definitely get behind a big serving of that scarlet barley. Maybe I just want an all-red xmas dinner? :) Hope your holiday was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could deal with em year round, even! But yeah, winter spices are so fun to play around with. I made a ginger infused gin too! The scarlet barley was really pretty next to the green kale. All about a color themed meal.

      Delete
  7. what delicious looking cookies! YUM! i don't think i could ever get tired of christmas cookies! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't say enough about celebrations that come together with joy, happiness and good food! Merry Christmas, and a great New Year to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly. Best new year wishes to you too, Andrea.

      Delete
  9. Cranberry infused gin and cookies! It looks like you did Christmas up right!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.