Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Big Chill

The weather is cooling. I love it.

Warm toast in the mornings with melty almond butter and a banana. The GF bread is tiny and, alas, only fits 4 rounds of banana but not to worry - I ate the rest of the fruit on the side.
I made a big container of collard salad, along with some rice on my day off. To those I added the roasted rutabaga and carrot as well as some tofu.

I added baba ghanoush on top but could only get blurry pictures of that, as THIS was happening outside, dulling the light:


But it's okay. G came over after work and we kept each other warm. Isa's split pea-rutabaga soup helped too.


Flu season will soon be upon us, if it isn't already. Get yr citrus on.


Today's lunch was more of the collard-rice-veg-tofu salad, this time with Braggs and nooch. Even though it was colder than the rainy/snowy day before, I ate outside. If it's not windy or wet, I'd much rather be outside. I had a good sweater on.


Plus the ginko trees are so nice. SORRY I keep posting so many freakin' trees. All of you not in New York are like, "You call that a tree?" We take what we can get.
Later snacked on 4 dates in the cutest lil container you ever did see.


G is working on a joke about dates. I'll tell it to ya when it's finished but don't hold yr breath. Something about a fig in a bar.
And dinner:

Soup with a side of steamed spinach on toast with Earth Balance.
& tea & tea & tea. Curl up with a loved human or fuzzy animal and stay warm.

24 comments:

  1. The ginko tree looks like it's dancing — hula, I think. I love ginko trees. Any tree is a pavement dense city is worth noting — they soften the landscape and provide a bit of calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It would be doing the hula, now wouldn't it.

      Delete
  2. Steamed Spinach on Toast?! You must have to really squeeze out the moisture from those greens first.

    Speaking of squeezing things out, is this where you work?http://nypost.com/2013/11/14/strand-bookstore-uses-sprinklers-to-evict-sleeping-homeless/
    Not that I'm super empathetic to the homeless or anything. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's us. A friend (and former co-worker) said it best: "A great bookstore run by jerks."

      Delete
  3. Still not a fan of the snow and especially not of the cold. I am a fan of soup and warm food and people to help keep warm. I already have some sort of illness going on for like a month but like a jerk I haven't gotten it checked out so I probably have like walking pneumonia at this point. Does citrus help with that ;) Toast with almond butter and banana is so yummy and you are right, those dates ARE in the cutest little container ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. Hope you feel better. Citrus couldn't hurt.

      Delete
  4. I'm ready to come over. I like your food. Your kitchen. Your 'hood. I'll bring a bottle of something and it'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, that soup sounds wonderful! I'm already laughing about the date joke/fig in a bar. Pun it to me!

    And urban trees are the best trees. We get to appreciate nature more because it's so scarce. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you can probably imagine where that joke was going. (GROAN)
      It's true, isn't it? Hope you find some nature escapes in Boston.

      Delete
  6. Nooooo snoooowwwww!!! Get that white stuff away from me! :)

    But hand me some of that tiny toast with giant banana slices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send some of that snow my way - we get two flakes, everyone goes 'can't come into work, it's transport chaos!'. And you can send me some of that soup too. With a chunk of bread the size of an elephant's head. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. man, snow is a dividing force here, isn't it? Our public transit system tends to strand a lot of people whenever it snows or rains alot (it's 110+ years old!) but otherwise, I love it.

      Delete
  8. mmmm warm almond butter toast with naners is my favorite! bring on the chilly weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ONE of my many favorite foods too

      Delete
  9. It all looks so yummy and healthy. Keep the tree pics coming, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Til there ain't no leaves left!

      Delete
  10. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it. It's already been minus several times here and not even winter. Can't it be May and warm again already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, granted, you get it worse than we do. I'm so happy to be cozy. When I'm outside it's a little rough...

      Delete
  11. I definitely need a huge bowl of that soup immediately! SOUP. Also, trees for the win! We have barely any fall leaves in CA, but ginkgos? Yes, plenty of bright yellow there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, in nyc you've got to appreciate what you can- including the bada$$ trees that live thru the winters and survive endless dog pee....!
    These cool days make me crave soup now too, the spinach toast is a great idea to go with it. Love your salad lunch creations as usual. I love dates with a bit of almond butter as dessert lately- with buckets of tea. Yogi's tahitian vanilla hazelnut right now (found it on sale for $2.50!)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wonder how they are able to withstand all the pee, dog and human both.
      Love, looove dates with almond butter! Sometimes I sprinkle them with cocoa powder when I'm too lazy to food process them all up to make raw brownie bites (which is usually)
      I'm drinking less than usual, so tea is making a big comeback here. So many fun flavors.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.