Search This Blog

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Same Interspersed with City

I did a pretty good job this week of prepping...if I do say so myself. I'd eat the same banana + almond butter breakfast most mornings (sometimes + toast), make two lunches at a time, change things up a little in the middle, have soup for dinner, drink tea to stop snacking, and send myself to bed earlyish. The portioning out of dates and nuts was a big help in not overdoing the snacking as well, and stretched them longer than usual.
Breakfast today, after using up all the bananas, was a pantry breakfast, as well as something really filling so I didn't need to snack at all until lunch:

It ain't pretty but A+ on everything else. Soaked overnight oats with almond butter, coconut flakes and TJ's cranberry-apple butter.

Trains were screwy this morning, so I took the above-ground train. It's a bit longer ride but the view is definitely preferable.

Collard salad, raw sunflower seeds, roasted carrot and rutabaga, sundried tomatoes, zucchini in a tahini sauce.
                      Union Square for lunch, after the skies cleared up from the morning.

Lunch yesterday: cold mung bean noodles, tofu, portabella mushrooms, spinach, and onion with soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha.

              Roasted, salted almonds from the bulk bin. I ate about three handfuls of these.

  Quick dinner the other night. Celery sticks, zucchini, carrot sticks, miso-tahini sauce.

The city tonight, back to its cloudy, foggy usual. Before Jon and I walked down to Chinatown and I almost had a pissfit about how hungry I was and yet refused to spend money.

Lunch another day this week: collards, roasted rutabaga + carrot, rice, raw sunflower seeds with Braggs, nooch, and cayenne.

Took a break from the split pea-rutabaga soup for a loaded miso soup. Spinach, mushrooms, rice, onion, carrot, spices.


One little treat for the end of the work week.
Repeats aplenty, but with slight variations and interspersed with new dishes, sort of. Oh what oh what will the next prep day bring for the week? (Especially since I am using up all my rice in magic jars...)

18 comments:

  1. Really yummy looking meals! The oats look really fantastic. I'm such an oat freak. I'm about to get back on board with nutbutter/banana/toast for breakfast. The noodle dish and miso soup are also gorgeous meals! I love your pics of the city too. The weather has been so strange lately. I think my fav is the moody night time shot you posted last. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been bizarre!! I saw on the forecast that Sunday or Saturday will be 57 and the next day it drops 20 degrees!! Crazy.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures of the city! I definitely think of NYC as having a cloudy, foggy evening look about it. I'm thankful that the train was slow, because that skyline picture is postcard-worthy! As is the park! Do you ever stop and think about all the people in the world, whose dream it is to live in one of the boroughs - and that's your real life? Pretty neat. :)

    Nice job rotating in different greens! Delicious all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sometimes. Last night I took the train across the bridge and it was so foggy you couldn't see any city lights as you approached!
      I never do stop and think. Hm.

      Delete
  3. I had a horrible train experience from Newark to Philly - the airlines made us go on the train without a ticket (as an exception b/c the kiosk wouldn’t recognize our reservation nor the ticket counters wasn’t open) and the story is pretty long! Once on train, we were threatened to be kicked off for not having the approriate ticket, despite the airlines managing to get us on manifest in a strange workaround that the ticket inspector wasn’t familiar with. Love all your meals - the cold mung bean looked tasty with my favorite condiment, Sriracha and that yummy miso soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds horrible. I only venture within the boroughs, but that gives me enough to gripe about. :)
      I have yet to find a dish that sriracha does not improve.

      Delete
  4. "Pissfit" is my new favourite word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be cool to live in that building en route to Chinatown. Sort of reminds me of that movie 'Ghostbusters'.

    What does the Rice represent in the Magic Jar (besides filler)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day AFTER Halloween I saw 5 people dressed up like Ghostbusters (even though there are only 4) and a "Sexy StayPuft marshmallow" girl. People seriously come to this city to visit the Ghostbusters building. Not that I can blame them.
      Rice seems to have represented a lot of things to a lot of different people, I've been using it mostly for its protective properties. It's also been said to confer fertility, which I guess is why people throw it at weddings.

      Delete
  6. As much as I love my morning smoothie, I do miss big bowls of oats like yours. I need to mix it up more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them both equally as though they were my children. (Okay maybe that's a little hyperbolic, especially since I don't particularly like children.)

      Delete
  7. It's entirely likely that you and I have a different idea of what constitutes a handful. To me, it's when I can't hold one more morsel in my fist: probably about 30 almonds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was trying to parse them out... Usually I am much more grubby with "handfuls." I also have kinda tiny hands so I just drop shit all over the place if I'm not careful.

      Delete
  8. The food looks delicious and nourishing, of course, but my favorite photo is the cloudy, foggy city at night. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The clouds were wild all day.

      Delete
  9. Love that loaded miso- i just got a new bag of this super dark flavorful barley miso that will last a while. I suspect instead of rice you will make......quinoa! I am so paranoid about getting hungry (or stuck on a subway or bus, whatever) that there are always a few mashed energy bars, and a baggie or two of trail mix in my handbag- "pissfit prevention" hahahaha. I'm totally using that new word.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally misread that as 'your daily dose of bark'. I mean, I'm all for new vegan food trends, but I was concerned it was all going a bit far with stripping the skins off trees. Almonds are also addictive, I swear it. Three handfuls is admirable restraint.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.