Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, November 22, 2013

HEYYYYY AYYYYYYYYYY AYYYY What's (Been) Goin' On

Leftover pancakes, heated up in the oven. Added Earth Balance and cranberry-apple butter. They tasted like raspberry toaster strudels, if you guys ever used to eat that garbage. Those were the shit when I was a kid - sooo tasty but filled with chemicals. This is preferable.

                                         Later in the day, another Rising Sun smoothie.

                                   Brown rice, collard salad, zucchini, chickpeas, avocado.

Breakfast superfood pudding. Chia seeds, raw vanilla protein powder, spirulina mixed with water and left to sit overnight.

Raw broccoli, brown rice, baked yams, chickpeas, tomato paste, and Braggs. Sort of a random salad but wtf else am I supposed to do with a leftover can of tomato paste?

I made socca the other night! It's a little too salty, but I want to make it again. A lot. It's so easy. And cheap. And filling. This had added rosemary, black pepper, and thyme in it.

Another Isa Does It recipe: Chicky Tuna Salad Sandwiches. I guess chickpeas are going to be the theme of the day (month? year? so cheap!) There are also raw sunflower seeds in the mix! Crazy, right? I KNOW!!! Served open-faced on a slice of gluten-free bread. I didn't want to buy a tomato and have it be sad and pink and mealy, especially after all the amazing ones I ate this summer from the Farmer's market and I don't have any more leafy greens in the house right now! Sad, right? I KNOW! So, no lettuce and no tomato. BUT I mashed half a tiny avocado onto the bread because what doesn't avocado improve? Decent, quick dinner.

More yams for lunch. With zucchini, rice, sunflower seeds, and sundried tomatoes. In tahini, Braggs, and cayenne.

Rice lunch continues. With stir-fried broccoli, onions, and mushrooms. Added red pepper flakes, soy sauce, and ginger after the photo.

Baked a coffee cake for my homie Conrad's birthday. Vegan Brunch recipe, with the jam variation. I swirled about 3 TBs apricot jam into the batter.

Brought it into work; this is what I had for breakfast instead, haha. Overnight oats with vanilla protein powder, cacao nibs, 1/2 a banana, and maybe 1 tsp. chia seeds. Muck muck.
Dinner:

Guess what! More rice! In miso soup. Warm. Nice.
Don't worry, Thanksgiving is coming. The meals will look slightly different soon enough.

16 comments:

  1. Ooooh what beautiful meals!! The cranberry apple butter sounds like an absolutely perfect pancake topping. I'm definitely jealous of that, it looks and sounds incredible. I still haven't gotten into spirulina too much but it made your chia pudding such a pretty color. The socca looks great! I love the addition of rosemary, I bet that made it extra awesome! The coffee cake looks incredible and I'm shivering right now so I'm definitely feeling that miso soup. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ought to make a similar sweet cranberry spread myself. It takes a while to get into spirulina, but you can't taste it if you mix it with the right things.

      Delete
  2. I'm stockpiling Yams this week while they're .37/pound (I bake them for the Pups).

    You can freeze the leftover Tomato Paste in a little baggie.

    I didn't know that one could make Chia Pudding with water. Looks like it firmed up really nicely. Was it as good as when made with milk?

    Was the Tuna Salad Sandwich good?

    That's pretty interesting to eat Oatmeal with a fork. Makes me long for the days when you ate everything with that red plastic ice cream scoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .37 a pound! I am astounded by yr produce prices, always. Do you not eat them yrself?
      The chia pudding was good and pretty firm, but I think that was helped by the protein powder. Nut milk is usually the way to go.
      The tuna salad sandwich was good! I finished it up today. Probably would have been a little less dry with tomato and lettuce, plus I used my usual tahini sauce instead of vegan mayo swap.
      Hahaha, you were so hung up on that spoon! It was YELLOW btw.

      Delete
  3. As to your question about leftover tomato paste... couldn't you make tomato socca with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it takes two to make socca. Yes, yes, I could make tomato socca now that you mention it.

      Delete
  4. I always wondered what those people who buy 25lb bags of rice yet don't have a family of 8 did with it........;))
    Your chia pudding is so pretty! Hahaha, i bet no one would swipe that from a work fridge.... You are so nice to make that coffeecake, looks deliciously crumbly.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep. You will be seeing a lot of rice in the upcoming weeks.
      Yeah, it's funny you call it pretty! It definitely would NOT be work-fridge swipe material, but they don't know what they're missing. I've made the coffee cake before and always enjoy it. He took the whole thing home, so I didn't taste this particular one but he let me know he enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  5. Cranberry-apple butter sounds lovely on leftover pancakes aka “raspberry toaster strudels” (I would like to eat that, too) - love Earth Balance stuff, especially the soy-free butter. Yay for socca, I am obsessed with them after trying faina in Argentina. Thanks for sharing these meals and have a happy, happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had authentic socca once, in Nice, and it was kind of greasy. The ones I made are not too traditional but very good. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Will you still be traveling?

      Delete
  6. I think I'm going to have to make pancakes after seeing yours twice. I'll wait until after Thanksgiving, though, so I can cover them with leftover cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's smart. A couple years ago, I ate lots of leftover cranberry sauce over oatmeal and it was incredible. Not sure what's stopping me from just making it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to be over Isa Does It before I even crack the spine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you weren't fooling when you told me you had a lot of rice to use up! Do you think you'll post the socca recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abby, I made another one yesterday! Get crackin! (See what I did there was...)

    Blessed Mama, no no no I don't joke about rice! ;) I'll keep working on the socca recipe and post it when it tastes like something people might enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My socca have always turned out a load of crap, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for that recipe of yours, then swan around smugly with a freezer full of tasty chick pea goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.