Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Frugal FoodFeud

Hey, not too much interesting stuff going on food-wise. I have been trying to be really careful about spending money so a lot of what I've been eating is just repeats of one big dish made at home. I did go out one night this week with my friend Antonia for a couple drinks and pizza:

I got the V for Vegan slice at Two Boots. I think there was another vegan slice too but this one was OBVIOUSLY cooler and therefore more delicious. I dunno if anyone in Baltimore reads this but that is where Antonia is from and she was happy to see they just opened a new location there.

This is farro, cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, onion, and cooked lentils, all sauteed up in a pan. This was a gigantic serving and I ate a serving of it for three days this week at work.

Lots of farmers market apples. I can't remember what kind this was. It was good - also bought some Ginger Golds.

                       Yesterday breakfast: GF Toast with almond butter and fig jam all swirly.

                               Today breakfast: TJ Everything bagel with Earth Balance.
Needed to get out of the house but not spend money. Also I am collecting things to put in the magic jars, so NATURALLY I needed to take a nature walk. It was a beautiful morning. It was a good thing I went out when I did, though; it rained a bit later in the day.

 
It wasn't a grueling hike like Ingrid's or probably even as scenic as anything Molly and Mike might find but it was a beautiful and very welcome step away from my usual. I'm so lucky and happy to have a park like this so nearby. Fun as it always is to hang out with friends, beyond changing my eating habits, the fall makes me feel introspective and quieter and I crave solitude. I'm really enjoying and needing to be alone more recently. Does anyone else feel like this? Not that I'm ever all that happy to be with groups of people but even one-on-one is becoming a little overwhelming. So. The walk took about an hour and a half. When I got home I was ready to eat:

             The last of the farro dish, this time with Braggs and sundried tomatoes added in.
I baked cookies the other day and had leftover dough, so I put that in the freezer. I decided to bake a couple more tonight:

These are the chocolate-chocolate chip-walnut cookies from Veganomicon. I've made them a bunch of times before. Always a crowd pleaser.
So that's been my fairly frugal week: keeping busy inside reading, sewing, and writing; otherwise just taking walks for fresh air; eating what I already have in the house; finding new ways to doctor up old meals; making cookies rather than buying them... What are yr favorite frugal eats? Or any ways to save money?

23 comments:

  1. I love the hike pics - they looks like alien seed pods or something from the future. There's a lot to be said for frugality. If it comes with a side of cookies, I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free cookies are even better, which my bf brought me yesterday :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are still able to eat wonderfully during a frugal week. I, too, often have to plot out Going Outside adventures that won't result in spending all the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love eating too much to be any more frugal than this.

      Delete
  3. Hike! Cookies! Toast! Bagels! Stir fry! So much goodness in this post!

    First off, what a beautiful hike! You captured so much loveliness. Great eye for detail on the delicate branches!

    You know, I have yet to make any sweets out of that cookbook - time to put an end to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hike was nice. I'd love to do it more often. Nature does all the work for me in making nice photos.
      It's one of the few sweets I have made from V'Con and it's so good I don't know if I'll make anything else!

      Delete
  4. That farro cabbage meal kicks Paradis' a$$ for sure. I'm a spoiled brat when it comes to bagels but it looks like TJ got some good stuff coverage on the everything. I never would have thought to look for vegan pizza at two boots! Huh. For frugal meals i end up cooking everything at home, and i tell myself if i'm good during the week then i'll go out with friends on the weekend.
    Btw, if you can go thru the union sq farmers market when they're closing a lot of the stands have specials- like $3 for 5lbs of potatoes or something like that.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a brat about bagels too! But I must say it was nice and flavorful. Just not a great chew.
      Thanks for the tip on the Far mar - I always forget to do that.

      Delete
  5. We seem to be living completely opposite lives right now; I find myself always shopping for recipe testing ingredients and busy with one thing or another. I was just saying to 89 that I was looking forward to a good snow day when we can stay inside all day and just lay like broccoli.

    I'm always meaning to try that Two Boots slice, but I usually pass Viva first and then eat ice cream before I can make to to TB...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well apparently my Jupiter is in retrograde so I'm due for some introspection... I'd love to lay around like broccoli (ha!) with Haxan all day.

      Delete
  6. that looks like a honey crisp apple! i could be wrong but i have some here that i have been munching on.

    my frugal food week involves a lot of red skin potatoes - using them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly! I love Honeycrisps.
      Potatoes are pretty cheap, huh? I should get on that.

      Delete
  7. you sew too? get outta here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never know what to do with farro. That's a good idea! And yep, I crave ME TIME, especially in the fall and winter. If I don't have a few hours totally alone every day, I would freak out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a grain I don't use often but it's pretty fun. NY is so overwhelming and overcrowded I don;t know how people don't go insane all the time from hyperstimulation.

      Delete
  9. Lots of positive things in this post...Hot Buttered Bagel..PB&J...fresh baked Chocolate Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies...Crunchy Apples in season...these are a few of my favorite things that I didn't realize till just now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All tied up with string. There were even some snowflakes on lashes yesterday!

      Delete
  10. Ooooh I'm loving everything about this post!! Pizza!!!!! I love that NY has lots of vegan pizza to offer. The toast and bagel look great. You know how I feel about bread ;) The farro salad looks great and it looks like a really lovely hike! You got some great shots! And those cookies, oh those cookies. I could definitely see those disappearing into my face with some hot tea or coffee. What's with the freaking SNOW this morning?! Gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to have a good amount of vegan pizza! It's still not my favorite thing to eat, but it's a solid night out nosh. Plus it's still pretty cheap for a decent slice.
      I am super guilty of dipping cookies in warm coffee or tea - I love how they just melt away but it makes it wayyyy too easy to eat wayyyy too many!
      I kinda liked the snow ...:)

      Delete
  11. When I lived in Upstate NY my favorite farmers market apple was the Courtland. Do you ever get any of those? I like basic food for frugal meals — grains and beans cooked from scratch, and whatever veggies are the best deal at the store. Having some things on hand like tahini, tamari, cashews that you can use sparingly to flavor things can make for variety. Making things yourself is usually cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, those are good! I should pick more up to refresh my memory.
      I keep meaning to buy bulk beans and forgetting. D'oh. Great point about certain ingredients being stretched to go a long way. I read something the other day about how the Japanese eat a ton of rice and everything else they eat functions almost as a flavoring for the main dish of rice. Like, bonito flavored rice or cucumber in rice...

      Delete
  12. All of your frugal meals look tasty - I usually snack on potatoes & bread when I’m on a traveling budget. I want that bagel with Earth Balance - and preferably TJ cream cheese, too! The GF toast looks tasty - I want that with TJ cookie butter, too :) What a delicious looking farro dish - I want to make something with farro when I get back home from Philly.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.