Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Food and Not Food In and Not In Jars

For the first time in what seems like months I made a smoothie for breakfast. Please don't ever let me go that long without again.

Good ole classic Rising Sun smoothie.

These are the remnants! I really only show you this to brag about how easy it was to squeeze lemon juice into the smoothie WITHOUT ANY SEEDS!!! Thank you, thank you, Isa. (Although of course now I can't find where it was she showed us how - basically cup off the top and bottom of the lemon and then cut around the core. How did I never realize all the seeds are in the middle?)

A very liquid morning. After the smoothie, ginger + lemon in hot water, coffee, vitamin.
Later in the day, I made the recipe that I've been dying for since I bought Isa Does It: Split Pea-Rutabaga soup (with star anise!!)

Big old creamy pot. I only had a couple spoonfuls to taste; I anticipate it being even better tomorrow.
The rutabaga I bought was bigger than needed. The rest of it was cubed and roasted along with carrots for lunches later in the week:


While the soup was bubbling and the veggies were roasting, the smells were making me hungry so I made myself lunch. Yet another favorite that it's been too long since I've made:


Collard wrap with sweet potato, cilantro hummus, avocado, mushroom, and sundried tomato.
The day got much less healthy from here on out, mostly revolving around chocolate chips and almond butter. No photos. The shame stays with me.
Shen and Nikki expressed some interest in the magic jars I mentioned a couple posts ago. I'm working on one for a friend and I made one for myself. I don't feel entirely comfortable sharing either of those because they're kind of personal, but here is an all-purpose jar I made, kind of for practice.


This is for protective/purification purposes. There are tacks, leaves, herbs, spices, rice grains, string, a needle, aluminum foil, and maybe some other things in there. They're fun to make and hopefully they bring good vibes to my friends.

20 comments:

  1. what happened to your hands? were they in a fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm allergic to whatever goes into magic jars.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate chips and almond butter are necessary to balance a diet high in rutabaga, split peas and green smoothies. I think I should make myself a magic jar, and maybe for a couple of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks. I'm off the hook for that day.
      Definitely make yrself a jar!! They can turn out suprisingly beautiful. Or creepy. But that's nice too.

      Delete
  3. Just for future reference, there is no Ginger or Lemon in a Rising Sun Smoothie.

    The Collard Wrap is one of the nicest I've seen you make. Your posts lately have been really good.

    Thanks for showing a Magic Jar. It's like you're presenting it as a gift to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magic jar is very cool! Thank you for sharing that with us!

    The soup looks so creamy and tasty. Very warming and comforting in this crappy cold weather we've been dealing with. THe wraps are beautiful and I agree, it has been way too long since I've made a smoothie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup is delicious. I'm probably going to enjoy it tomorrow even when it's not so cold.
      Funny, I don't know why I stopped making smoothies other than laziness - it's still warm in my apartment!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous smoothie! The rutabega and carrots are so pretty on that tray- the soup sounds like a great fall meal, star anise is such a unique flavor.
    That sucks that your hands are all allergy aggrevated- i hope its better now. How very thoughtful of you to make those for friends. The photo is great! Very clever way to hide your pretty smile though.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! I was so happy to remember I had bought whole star anise, though it was so long ago I don't remember what it was for. They might have been kind of old since the licoricey flavor wasn't so pronouned but still good.
      Heh, my face is just made of more magic jar.

      Delete
  6. I really like your soup. Unfortunately it's still not cold enough here in Torino, Italy (quite strangely as we're close to the mountains) so I don't feel like having a soup. But as soon as it's real cold I'll try yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say unfortunately! At least yr in beautiful Torino, Italy!

      Delete
  7. I drank smoothies all summer and then, once the first chill hit, I couldn't do it. Maybe I should just have soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the soup! I think I slacked a lot on my smoothies this summer so I have a lot to make up for...
      What are you doing for breakfast these days??

      Delete
  8. What! That lemon trick! I mean...it's totally logical but dang, I've never even thought about it that way. Life changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I'm in awe! No more picking lemon seeds out of a cheeze sauce.

      Delete
  9. Don't ever feel shame for eating. Ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever. Eating is what gives you the power to write poetry and zines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. We do need to remember that sometimes. :)

      Delete
  10. Huh - never clocked that lemon seed thing either! Everyday's a school day. I'm also a recent collard wrap convert - the raw stuff beats the daylights out of it cooked, and it's pretty damn awesome cooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so smart now. Or maybe I should feel dumb in retrospect.
      Either way, collards!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.