Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 18, 2013

Brunch with Isa Does It

...with a lot of help from G.
I don't often eat brunch (because I like to eat quickly and get an early start on my days off) but I love brunchy foodssss. And Isa obviously does too because she comes up with the most amazing stuff for that fabricated meal. I mean, hell, she devoted an entire book to it.
When G and I went through Isa Does It a while back, two recipes (of a, like, 27 item list) that stood out to him were Scrambled Chickpeas and Puffy Pillow Pancakes, even though he always talks smack on pancakes. "I'm a waffle man!" "If it doesn't make you poop it's not food." The photo would have lured anyone in, though, so it's understandable.
We were going to have a DAY on Sunday with brunch and a museum but it was rainy and lazy and we both had stuff we needed to do so we nixed the museum (until another day) in favor of food, because of two options, that is the correct choice.
I cooked the chickpeas when I got up this morning and when G came over, he started on the pancakes. He is good at following directions and actually sifting. I am lazy; I worked on the savory scramble for which you can eyeball ingredients and is difficult to screw up.


Slightly harder to mash than tofu for a scramble, but enough coffee will do ya good. We added spinach, which the recipe doesn't call for.

Hard at woik, dolloping batter. "Don't look at me! Don't look at how much oil I added!" Poor guy, I even turned down the heat on him.
Despite my meddling, G made some picture perfect puffy pillow pancakes:

 my plate:

Earth Balance and maple syrup on the pancakes, a tiny bit of sriracha on the scramble. Rorshach tests in the pancakes. Mimosas would have been nice.

24 comments:

  1. Brunch is definitely always the right choice! :) I love having one lazy weekend morning and then one really productive one. Sundays are usually lazy and Mondays are usually productive. Anyway, your brunch choices look really delicious. The pancakes are really fluffy and yummy looking and I love the idea of a chickpea scramble! Great looking plate of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually how my weekends go too. mondays are for gittin it done.

      Delete
  2. HA! G's comment about "real food" making you poop is hilarious. Great pic of him, too! I'm sure he keeps you entertained!

    I rarely make it to brunch, but I have perused her Vegan Brunch and copied a few items out of it. Delicious looking pancakes! Sriracha on scrambles is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sriracha on pretty much anything is a good idea. I didn't use much though because the flavor was a bit more delicate than with tofu.

      Delete
  3. Reading this post is making me feel even more inadequate about not making stuff from Isa Does It, and writing a review. Everything you've made so far has looked super appealing. I've made one thing, and it was so long ago I can't remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure whenever you do make more things, it will be incredible. You are busy with Ethiopian :) And saving cakes.

      Delete
  4. i made the scramble chickpeas last week and added soyrizo....tasty! i also made the coconut french toast recently, really good, the boyfriend even liked it, even though he is not into coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I BET the coconut french toast is awesome.

      Delete
  5. Sundays are by my definition, are only successful if they include sleeping in, brunching, and seeing friends/family. So it sounds like you had a good one! Rain kills my motivation too, and yesterday it screwed up my plans for a long bike ride :/
    G's puffy cakes look great! Especially since they test your psyche
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good one, yes :)
      I really wanna go for a good long bike ride soon too.
      And, yes, a pancake psyche test is almost as good as the crossword on a Sunday morning.

      Delete
  6. So funny G chose the pillowy pancakes because I avoided that page simply because I'm always trying to prevent my pancakes from being airy! How were they compared to regular pancakes? I always make the recipe from VWAV.

    I really like that your stove pipe is painted to match your shelf.

    PS: your pancake looks like a potato wearing sunglasses or a a bikini top- depending on how busty you expect potatoes to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancakes were great, really. I rarely eat them, though, so it's hard to compare. Why do you prefer them flatter?
      I really love our stove, haha! Glad you noticed the paint job
      Now that you say that I can only see the uber-busty potato.

      Delete
  7. A definite yes to brunch at any time of day! OH MAN. Now I really want pancakes. (There are zero decent breakfast/brunch places anywhere less than a half-hour bus ride away from our house, so I may be a little...invested.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No good brunch place = make brunch all the time!

      Delete
  8. 'If it doesn't make you poop, it's not food'? Do Waffles make him poop? You might want to get to the bottom of these issues before you mate with G and turn out a slew of skinny kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I think he just needs beans crammed into a pancake or something.
      Not to worry, we ain't having no kids.

      Delete
  9. For a second I thought that comment of your fella's meant you were one of dem "no oil" vegans, but thank heavens you put Earth Balance on the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am anti inordinate amounts of oil. Which he probably used. But I am pro-melty EB+ maple syrup for sure.

      Delete
  10. i was (and still am) mad jeal of this meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gonna invite you to eat with us! I just assumed you were headed out to eat brunch and double brunch is just too much brunch.

      Delete
  11. I"m concerned - will I not poop if I ate pancakes? Do waffles cause a laxative effect? Inquiring minds (and arses) need to know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will poop, probably. Actually these have flax seed in them, so, yes! Eat all the pancakes you want.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.