Search This Blog

Monday, November 4, 2013

Another Productive Prep Day

Actually, beyond food prep, today was pretty productive in general: I was up early, did laundry, went to the bank, got a few groceries, made a couple dishes for the week, cleaned the apartment, read some of a Batman comic (haha), made a magic jar, and umm ok well maybe that's it.The upshot of doing laundry and making a bed with warm sheets is this:

So making the bed took about 15 minutes, haha.
Breakfast:

Toasted cornbread with TJ vegan cream cheese and fig jam.
Late afternoon snack:

Another Suja juice. (It was 2 for $9 the other day.) This Green Supreme one is really good too.
I roasted a bunch of vegetables for meals later in the week. An eggplant was roasted and turned into baba ghanoush:

eggplant, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, and a bit of cinnamon. It's basically Jae Steele's recipe from Get It Ripe with added spices and no oil. My sister gave me the tip on adding cinnamon.
While the oven was on I made croutons since I destroyed a bagel trying to cut it while it was still frozen this morning. Waste not, want not.

TJ's Everything bagels tossed with olive oil in an oven that was probably a little too hot for them.
Bought mung bean noodles (aka cellophane or glass noodles) a while back and put them in a soup last night but there were leftovers. I added toasted sesame oil to the noodles and put them in the fridge.

For dinner tonight, I added ume plum vinegar, a little soy sauce, and some sriracha to the cold noodles. On top of steamed kale and a couple cubes of roasted kabocha squash.
Andrea had a cool post about noodles a while back that made me really want to try these noodles. They're super easy to prepare and, judging by her post, very versatile.
Chocolate chips and black tea with almond milk to round out the night.

26 comments:

  1. Productive indeed! We have the same Mondays which is fun :) I spent mine running around Long Island reviving my poor computer and buying hard drives to back everything up so I don't have another nervous breakdown haha. So Whole Foods will be visited on Weds ;)

    Fresh sheets are the best. I love shoving them in the dryer a little longer during the weekend and then laying around in the warmth. Looks like you ate some great food too. The noodles look delicious!! Cornbread with CC and fig jam sounds incredible. Looks so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you like having mondays off? I do, except when it's a holiday and everyone else is all up in my steez.. hope the computer works out for you!
      The cornbread breakfast was delicious. I want to bake more and just repeat that meal all fall

      Delete
    2. I LOVE having Mondays off. I get a lot done and I can make appointments without worrying about having to take off of work. I agree, Monday holidays suck because everyone gets all up in my business ;)

      Delete
  2. My cats are always trying to "help" me make the bed! Those noodles look yummy. And cornbread for breakfast? Yes please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and productive - you won Monday there! I have an addiction to baba ganoush that is only cured once aubergines get way to expensive. Otherwise, I find myself practically having to connect myself to an IV drip to get enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good stuff! I don't eat it as often as I'd like; I'm realizing that now... may have to make more soon. It's too bad it doesn't really keep so well.

      Delete
  4. All the food looks soooo good! As a new lover of eggplant, I'm especially drooling over that bowl of baba ganoush. And that last bowl with the mung bean noodles looks crazy awesome too. It kinda reminds me of a bibambap (sp?) bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new lover! How exciting.
      Thanks for bringing up bibimbap! I love the stuff but it's been a long time since I've made it. I'll have to try it with the mung bean noodles!

      Delete
  5. So cute! Remy participates in bed making too. I think I'm most inspired by your last meal - noodles and steamed kale sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Remy having a grand old time in the sheets, ha!

      Delete
  6. You had a Proper Grown-Up Day! I love days like that. I feel so legit. And then I do something like eat two rows of Gingerbread Oreos for dinner and the grown-up feeling vanishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate some chocolate but not enough to ruin my appetite: win!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure Hexan enjoyed the clean warm sheets. I hope you liked the noodles — we eat them pretty often in soup or stir-fries. Usually hot, though. They soak up sauce really well which is a good thing since they don't have much taste of their own. It's all about texture. Nice bagel save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them in miso soup the night before and they were really great. The texture is a little weird at first but they seem like they'd be great with a lot of different sauces.

      Delete
  8. Hello! What the heck is a 'magic jar'? What is that a post of on your wall?

    The grub looks very palatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A magic jar is a little jar I fill with talismans and herbs and spices and sentiments and...magic. It can bring peace or security or love or whatever into yr home and deflect bad vibes. Or so they say.
      On my wall is a star map and other outerspacey images...

      Delete
    2. Is there a lid on the jar? Do you keep the jar on your nightstand? Mr. SV is into astronomy as well.

      Delete
  9. Yum, cellophane noodles. Your bowl looks perfect. I love sesame oil & sriracha together.

    What Shen said... what's a magic jar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time having the noodles! I am behind the times! Sesame oil is fantastic. Can't wait to add it into LOTS of stuffs.

      Delete
  10. The similarities end with our companion animals extending the sheet-changing time. Why is it that when I'm home for a day I eat mainly cheese doodles and Biscoff cookies?

    PS that bagel looks perfect; I love them extra toasted and I would have dipped them into peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at this post now, I ate a salad for dinner and totally forgot to add the croutons!
      I don't usually like things that toasted... you'd eat PB on an everything bagel?? I have much to learn from you.

      Delete
  11. Cornbread “toast” with cream cheese & fig jam?! Sounds so tasty! Love mung bean noodles - they are tasty in soups, too and yay for Sriracha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want to Learn Forex Trading and earn with Forex Business...?? The best Forex Trading Learning Website where you can get any thing about Forex, Trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, cornbread toast. I feel like you've opened up a whole new world for us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wait did you get cornbread crumbs on your just laundered sheets, I probably would.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.