Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

Taking Time to Cook + Recently Acquired Reasons To

The other day I ate half a block of tofu for dinner, with some collards and kale I had frozen in anticipation of smoothies, because there was zero else to eat. Never have I been so happy to have not made a smoothie. I promised myself I'd be better about making food because it gets expensive to buy meals, plus I enjoy cooking. Just need to remember to take some time to prep.

                      Raw kale salad, roasted sweet potato, lentils in tahini and sriracha sauce.

                       Farmers market Gala apple, roasted + salted pistachio nuts for breakfast

Okay one day I was still unprepared! Paradis'd it up. Chickpeas, red cabbage slaw, sweet potatoes.

more raw kale salad, more lentils, gorgeous roasted yellow beets! (From the farmer's market - I saved + cooked the leaves too.)

Thanks to Claryn from Hell Yeah It's Vegan! for sending me some zines from a giveaway! There is a Sandor Katz fermentation zine I'm stoked to go through, as well as the vegan Holiday Survival Guide, but also some of the not vegan-specific zines: Witches, Midwives and Nurses (by Barbara Ehrenreich!) sounds pretty cool, as do the anarchist/DIY ones. Got a sweet note and a cute little button too. Zinesters always send the best mail. Speaking of which....

                 Finished my own most recent zine. This one was fun. Hit me up if you want one.

HowEVER, this piece of paper is something my zines will never be. Oh man is Isa's new book ever gorgeous. I want to make everything in it! Chimichurri pumpkin bowl! Olive-lentil burgers! Split pea and Rutabaga soup!! Expect something from it soon.

                Here is a mushroom cap in Union Square Park. I wonder if it's edible or just magical.

And this is my block. Nothing special, I just thought the light was really beautiful while walking to the train the other morning. Oh, Fall.

22 comments:

  1. That kale salad looks yum! I wish Buenos Aires has kale! The mushroom cap = adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no kale is a life I don't want to live

      Delete
  2. Hhmmm...how'd you get that book early...from work? Kale and lentil...great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me totally craving a kale salad now, that looks so good, especially with all lthose sweet potatoes! I didn't know Isa Does It was out yet! I need to get myself to a bookstore asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book officially comes out on the 22nd. I was lucky

      Delete
  4. You really use kale in the best ways — love all your salads. On a walk Sunday, I saw some of those mushrooms (in a normal size) growing for real. Even the real amanitas look fake, though.

    Nice shot of the morning light — any morning light seen here would be considered 'special.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mushrooms are such a crazy species! so many varieties and yeah they all look fake.
      One day, the sun will come to you too.

      Delete
  5. Another impressive mega post. Makes me want to mix up a bowl of Lentils, Sweet Potatoes and Kale.

    The cover of Isa's book sorta looks like your zine. Speaking of which, I'd be curious to see what depravity is in the latest issue.

    Because you leave for work after the sun comes up. Does that mean you head back home in the dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potatoes are my fall jam.
      Will send you a copy!
      And YES it is so sad to get home in the dark. That's why all my moFo pictures were crummy.

      Delete
  6. Magical mushroom cap indeed! I've definitely been there where I'm just thankful to find ANYTHING in my kitchen that can be turned into a meal. You definitely made some beautiful meals. I've been loving the gala apples this season, even more than the honeycrisps (which are my fav!). Congrats on finishing the new zine! I'll have to order one once I get my shit together here haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to remember to buy food.

      Delete
  7. Oh kale salads, how I long for thee! And Isa's new book. Wtf is with that mushroom cap? Ha ha. Your zine (and your meals) look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right? Apparently the shrooms are popping up all over the city.

      Delete
  8. Great zine haul, great meals, great light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The light and zines are livelihood.

      Delete
  9. Oh MAN, why hasn't my pre-ordered Isa Does It arrived yet? And how did I not know thatBarbara Ehrenreich had a zine? And that mushroom cap; i've only seen photos of the whole mushroom that sprouted up... elsewhere. Thanks for the reminder to add more sweet potatoes into my diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't pre-order, Strand it :)
      I didn't know about Barbara Ehrenreich's zine either. It was apparently printed by the Feminist Press before they were a real publishing company - in 1976!

      Delete
  10. Go zines! That's a great haul, and looking forward to seeing some of those Isa recipes in action. Are there any good desserts?

    And that kale salad looks darn tasty. My freezer only yields carbs (not that I'm complaining you understand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go zines, indeed. The desserts section is small but alluring. I missed them in her last cookbook.

      Delete
  11. Your meals look great! I've been trying to eat out less as well. It gets easier the more I cook. Oh boy, I can't wait to get my hands on Isa's new cookbook. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Free Promotion of your Website, Facebook Page, Twitter, Google Plus, StumbleUpon, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes, Pinterest, MySpace, SoundCloud, Instagram and Much More Social Media Promotions. Just add your Promotion Link to this Website and Get Increase your Visitors, Page Likes, photo likes, photo shares Twitter Follow Tweets and Favorites, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes and Much More.
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.