Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

September: Behind the MoFo

There's gotta be some sappy emo band called September out there that is currently self-destructing. Find them on VH1's BtM in a year or so. Til then, here's more of whatever else was going on for me food- and other-wise during September.

             Sprouted lentil salad over raw kale with heirloom tomatoes and a tahini dressing.

Salad with a gorgeous pink (well, you can't tell here) fig-dijon dressing from Joni's other upcoming cookbook that I was a tester for.

                      This juice was good and not too expensive. Maybe I posted this already.

Vegan carrot cake from local bakery, Rudy's. They've extended beyond brownies and I, for one, am stoked.
                                                       MAXIN' RELAXIN and SNACKIN'

Yarn-bombing in Bed-Stuy on the gate of a community garden, which are a bit of rare Wonderland in these urban neighborhoods.

                                                        Bed-Stuy late summer sunset

                     Heirloom summer tomatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Don't get much better.

                                                 Spinach, brown rice, brown lentils.

                                          Eatin' lunch in St. Marks on the Bowery churchyard

I had leftover rice and leeks with zucchini, rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, pumpkin puree and fava beans. With Braggs and pepper.

                                                   Eatin' lunch in Union Square Park

From Paradis: red cabbage-kale slaw with African spiced sweet potato and crushed peanuts.

27 comments:

  1. So much good, healthy food! I can see the pink dressing on the side of the container, no worries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the fig-dijon dressing — actually everything looks good. I was just having a little hunger attack and went to check my VVC bag (yep, from last May) to see if there was anything in there. Would you believe there was a bag of Beanfields chips in 'nacho' flavor and I finished munching them just before I read your blog. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Andrea; that fig dijon is a "why didn't I think of that?"

      Delete
    2. It was awesome. Figs, dijon, balsamic vinegar...some other stuff I can't think of.
      I like those chips, don't see them often.

      Delete
  3. Haaaaahahaha emo band named September. That's awesome. So are your salads, yum! The fig dijon dressing sounds really good. The carrot cake looks great and the sunset is beautiful! Lots of beautiful veggies consumed in September, everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. It was an enjoyable month.

      Delete
  4. That salad dressing sounds amazing!! Love the look of the carrot cake, nice icing layer on there. Your made at home salads sound better than the paradis box to me......esp the sprouted lentils tomato situation.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! i should appreciate my own food more, it's solid...but...Paradis...

      Delete
  5. There's something about the sprouted lentils - they look so adorable! Heirloom tomatoes are the best in salads, especially roasted. I love the Evolution juices, I used to drink them for cleansing/juicing since I was too lazy to juice. My favorite was the Sweet Greens & Lemon (only 80 cal), and I also like the Essential Vegetable juice (that one has a more yummy veggie taste).

    I had a Pico de Gallo chips for snack and brought it with me to an airline lounge before my departure for Spain in August. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute! I want to keep sprouted lentils as pets! I am toooo lazy to roast tomatoes. I know they are so tasty but I always just wanna throw em right in my mouth.
      The Evloutions juices are really good! And not super expensive like other brands.

      Delete
  6. Tahini sauce ftw. Also I laughed at the yarn bombing, never seen that before. Way too adorable. Looks like you guys are still having great weather down yonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarn Bombing is all over Bed Stuy! I don't know how to knit but I would totally do that if I could. Badasssss.

      Delete
  7. colorful seasonal and yarnbombing in Bedstuy too. What more can you ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much yum happening here! Did you sprout those lentils yourself? Mmmm, sprouted lentils, I want some in my belly right now. Yarn bombers were all the rage in Minneapolis. No sightings in Boston yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sprout them myself. I seem to have more success with lentils than other beans or legumes, which get moldy on me!
      There's gotta be some yarn bombers in Boston...! maybe when winter comes :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful weather and meals! I was just thinking about how I'll make a salad that is up to your standards - and then I get lazy. I really should work on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salads are the easiest. I am the laziest. If I can do it, you can do it!

      Delete
  10. So we get it: you had so much going in September, it spilled into the second week of October on your blog.

    I also recognize the signature 'chomp' on the Carrot Cake. Get a fork, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and yer recipe testing magic ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty magical. The recipes are only visible to those who know the unlocking spell.

      Delete
  12. So now I'm not only jealous of your healthy food intake, but your Vitamin D as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a pretty tasty looking round up there. I'm pretty stoked about the carrot cake, and I don't even get a bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first bite was for you! It's like spilling a sip of yr 40 out for yr homies.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.