Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Roasted Roots

Haha does anyone remember Rusted Root?


Hahaha, if not I am sorry because now you will know them FOREVER and this song is permanently embedded into yr brain. Anyway I am not here to talk about early 90s jam bands; I am here to eat vegetables.
There are some fantastic root vegetables wending their way into yr local farmers markets right now... Last week, I picked up a bunch of yellow beets, a bunch of chiogga (candy cane) beets, and a bunch of parsnips. The beet greens I cooked; everything else was roasted. Didn't get shots of the FarMar haul but here is an additional grocery trip:

Kale, carrots, 2 lemons, 3 pears, an avocado, sweet potato (actually I got two), spicy hummus, sundried tomatoes

pretty, stripey Chioggas chopped. The sweet potato in the back was also roasted, but separately

          out of the oven. Roasted at 400* for about 30 minutes, tossed with oil, s+p, rosemary

These are the sauteed beet greens with tempeh I had marinated in Braggs, cayenne, olive oil, garlic powder, and a little brown sugar.

raw kale salad, cooked lentils, roasted parsnips + beets, avocado, chopped sundried tomato in a hummus dressing.
                          meh, feh, breakfast at work. The pears are ROCKIN RECENTLY yo

raw kale salad, avocado, sundried tomato, roasted yellow beets, chopped portabella mushroom. Also in the hummus dressing.
Go crank that oven and try to get Rusted Root out of yr head. I find that Smashing Pumpkins go well with root vegetables...they mellow and sweeten and crescendo in amazingness and have that incredible, um, bass line....

19 comments:

  1. Smashing Pumpkins YES. Though weirdly it's Bullet with Butterfly Wings I have in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusted Root only had that one hit, yes? I did love Smashing Pumpkins in the 90s, I have memories of sitting on my childhood bed listening to their double disc set that was released mid decade.

    Nice sounding marinade on the tempeh, and I feel you on pears - so delicious. And root vegetables, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was definitely their biggest hit. There were a few other songs from that album, Ecstasy and martyr.... Not that I'm really recommending you seek those out either.
      Was going for a tempeh bacon-feel... it was tasty, however it came out.

      Delete
  3. Love roasted (not rusted!) roots. Have you tried roasting celery root? (celeriac) It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty vegetables sounds like one of the last things I would want to eat. Have not yet picked up any celeriac! I don't think I've seen it at the market yet, but will have to look harder. I love, love it.

      Delete
  4. I picked up some peach colored beets at the Farmer's market yesterday! Planning on lightly sauteeing those greens and tossing with the beets. Mm-mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious. Beet greens are really great.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that song, haha. Some of the surgeons that I work with have it on their playlists and it's such an ear worm. Aside, your roasted roots look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa- your packaged sun-dried tomatoes look like raw meat! Never saw them like that. Yay! It's finally time to turn on the oven for warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you usually see them packed in oil? This way is pretty ubiquitous in local groceries.

      Delete
  7. So that's what those little stripey beetroots are called! Consider me taught! I need to get me some of those orange ones - I love beetroot, but not that purple seepage that always seems to leak out of my lunch. It looks like a blood bath in my bag...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a fun name, no? I totally get the purple vegetable thing too. It's pretty but stains everything! Though sometimes I enjoy getting my kitchen all bloody purple splattered.

      Delete
  8. Noo Rusted Root! But YES VEGETABLES. I had broccoli for breakfast today & it was excellent. :) Definitely must get on the roasted beet train very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you prepare the broccoli?? It's been a while since I've had any.

      Delete
  9. This type of eating is inspiring but also difficult to emulate for those of us who aren't into 'bowl food'. Mr. SV is all about eating everything out of a big bowl with a spoon, but I'm only comfortable with Salads all mixed together. Maybe I'll try to do a bowl of Roasted Roots next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat almost everything out of a bowl. I just make a huge mess and push everything off the plate otherwise. Perhaps you are more adept at maneuvering a fork than I.

      Delete
  10. Bowl food and roasted veggies and jam bands. Fun and tempeh to the tempo. I am jonesing for all that food now. Roasted broccoli is great too. Hope you are feeling better. Today is my Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.