Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, October 7, 2013

Loving Hut, Bliss on Grand, Quantum Leap

OKOK sometimes it's really easy to get caught under an overwhelming deluge of backlogged stuff. Here are three meals Out that have been building up in the background all MoFo month long. I am too lazy to make three separate posts.
G and I went to the new Loving Hut in Bushwick.

This was so long ago. This was some spicy vegetable-tofu dish I got. Dece.
This was G's noodles & curry that I used as the base of my eggplant stir fry.
Inside:


I've since heard that almost all the Loving Huts look like this inside. Lots of positivity, which always freaks me out. It was clean and minimalist but I think G was a little off-put by the design. Sorry to say the service was terrible. It was really stressful waiting around for someone to come by and kinda put me in a bad mood for the whole meal. The food was good, though. Cheap for portion size and generous. I doubt I'd return - it's not my kind of food in the first place, and it's just a pointless chain among other, more welcoming places to eat.
I took a Thursday off to go to the Columbia market. Thursdays are G's usual days off, so we went to brunch on a quiet morning at the (fairly new) Bliss on Grand Street. This place is more my speed than Loving Hut and only slightly farther from the subway than the original Bliss (at Bedford and N. 7th.)

 Like I said, it was a quiet off morning and there were only a few people in there, definitely taking advantage of the seating and free wi-fi. The waitress was new but sweet and on top of things.
My plate: home fries (soon to be smothered in ketchup and sriracha) and tofu scramble, with toast.
G's vegan rancheros. Refried beans, pico de gallo, tofu scram, avocado, and tortillas.
Another Sunday, G helped his dad out at a weekly flea market in Chelsea. I met them afterward in the West Village.
                                                            Washington Square Park.
We almost got Ethiopian food but went with Quantum Leap, where we'd all been before and knew we'd all find something we wanted to order.

I got a grilled portabella mushroom with vegan pesto. Came with a side salad (love their ginger dressing) and fries.

We didn't get dessert at QL, but walking back to the train, we stopped at Lifethyme and got some frozen ice cream/cookie sandwiches. G's was mint, mine was mocha flavored.
Yea, so, I'm working on a new zine and sorting my thoughts out for that, but I do eventually want to do a post about what I learned/enjoyed/whatever'd about the farmer's market month. In the meantime expect a couple more backtrack posts.

21 comments:

  1. I've been hearing mixed reviews of the (relatively) new Bliss. The reviews of Loving Huts, however, are always mixed! But your breakfasts are making me hungry for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are spoiled in NYC. Loving Hut Schmoving Smut.

      Delete
  2. It is so funny that you posted this since I just talked about Loving Hut on Shen's post! I love the one in Orlando but have never been to a Loving Hut in NY bc the menu (NYC menu) never looked that great to me. I really don't like how there is a different menu at every restaurant... maybe it's my OCD that prefers consistency. I didn't realize the Bushwick location opened but it doesn't sound like it would be worth the trip.

    Bliss on Grand on the other hand sounds and looks great! I like the vibe I get from the pic and the food looks really delicious.

    Also funny that you had the Mocha Pie bc I asked Shen about that too! How is the Mocha flavor, I've only ever had the mint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even looked at the menu for the other one in NYC... it's in midtown, right? I kinda wish the menus were the same too - it's nice to know what yr getting into.
      If you make it out to Brooklyn, try to make it to Bliss!

      Delete
  3. Loving Hut is a mixed bag, but there have been times when finding one in a vegan-unfriendly place was way better than not finding one. I'm glad they exist to spread vegan food around the world, though they are not usually my first choice. Our Loving Hut has thankfully turned off the TV, so there's that to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I can understand that. I shouldn't gripe. It's always nice to have vegan food, even by the light and glare of TV..... what would they play??

      Delete
    2. They play the Supreme Master channel.

      Delete
  4. Ketchup and sriracha? That sounds like a delightful blend of old-school and hipster America to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little bit country, but mostly rock n' roll.

      Delete
  5. Wowza! All of this looks fantastic (minus the overly positive and aloof nature of Loving Hut - of course!), but I am all about the Bliss Grand. Holy deliciousness! I love that you included more interior shots, I need to do that and not be so self conscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only comfortable taking photos inside because it was so empty but I usually do appreciate seeing the inside of restaurants as well. I do it for The People.

      Delete
  6. Still haven't been to a Loving Hut...I'll have to check it out one day. Though it does make me feel squeamish to order meals with titles like "I am Bliss"...or am I mixing that up with a raw food restaurant? Ha ha, either way, I get what you mean about the overly positive hippie dippie thing. Awesome looking brunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think that is Cafe Gratitude but word, way too Much positivity there too.

      Delete
  7. That's too bad that Loving Hut wasn't that great of an experience. However, your other meals sound like they made up for it. I love when restaurants aren't crowded at all. That's my kind of eating out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! All the attention R belong 2 me

      Delete
  8. Our local Loving Hut doesn't have quite so much a 'space age' interior as the one you depict and the staff down here literally live up to the name: 'loving'. Regardless, we can't be as picky as you NYers. I'd still patronize them.

    That's so sweet how you took off G's usual day off. The interior of Bliss reminds me of Sacred Chow.

    Way to rub that Mocha Pie in my face though. I can only find Mint. Mocha is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tooooo SpaaaaAaaaAAceeeyyy for me. Also happy. But it meant a clean bathroom.
      Thankfully G and I don't live together anymore; he used to get sick of me real quickly if we took the same day off.
      Tried to find the ice cream pie on yr blog and couldn't so I don't even believe you've had the mint one. mocha is always my opted-for flavor. I'd mail ya one, but, you know. The price of dry ice and all.

      Delete
  9. That scrambled 'fu at Bliss looks awesome and like a generous portion- and some nice chunky potato action there! The other loving hut is on 7th ave near 29th st, don't go there as a destination but in the area its the best option- i've had the tofu salad and the soups are good in the winter, haven't tried much else there.
    I have to get back to quantum leap- that portabello pesto looks crazy good.....!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for Loving Hut! Do you know that Loving Hut Valencia is my first Loving Hut restaurant to visit and dine at? Loving Hut is an international franchise of vegan restaurants originating from my home country of Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erm, I think I want to get me some of that mocha pie. A lot of that mocha pie.

    I don't remember the Loving Huts I've been to being all positive vibes, more TVs showing odd videos from Grand Master what's-his-name. Food was a bit hit and miss, but mostly decent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.