Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Baked Beans for Boston

Guys! I am listening to the Red Sox-Cardinal game as we speak and it's pretty wild so I'm gonna keep this short.
I made baked beans the other day, not even thinking about the upcoming World Series but it's fitting! Not sure what made me want to prepare the beans like this, since it's kind of laborious but they're pretty delicious and a little different from regular old cooked beans with rice or something.
I originally intended to re-make Jes' beans that I made a couple years ago for MoFo, but drank the beer rather than cooking it (ha!) and didn't have and didn't want to buy maple syrup. The amount of beans I used was slightly less than 16 oz. so I just left out the beer and used 4 cups of water. Instead of 2/3 c. maple syrup, I used about 2 TBs molasses and 2 TBs brown sugar. Aaand I used pinto, not navy, beans. Negligible difference.


Also, you can see sort of tomato-y looking things in the beans here? Hopefully? Rather than use the spices, I remembered a can of chiles in adobo sauce that I bought for no good reason about a year ago. It sounds kind of random, but they are in pretty much every corner bodega here, and maybe I bought them for Viva Vegan or something. In any case, I'd never had them before and had NO IDEA they were so spicy! They also might not have been ideal since they have all kinds of other not-so-savory ingredients in there like vinegar, oil, and corn syrup, but whatever. I was glad to find a use for the can.
Other than those changes, I followed Jes' directions.
Saved in a crock pot, just like Nana in Boston would have wanted:


Like I said, they were pretty spicy so I googled what to serve them with and most answers were baby-back ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. !! Not only was I like, ew, gross, meat, but astounded! I Who needs to eat beans AND meat?? No wonder they say vegans don't need to worry about protein when an omni would be eating that much! Most people seemed to be eating the beans as a side. Vegan options included coleslaw and cornbread, neither of which I was interested in making.
So, the default: salad.

Over raw collards, with roasted carrots, and avocado to cool the heat.
Or maybe, like Shen says, I could plate this into different elements and not call it a "salad" but I was bringing it to work with me for lunch and the components would all slide into each other anyway. Eh, it all ends up in the same place.
Almost the same exact lunch today, without the roasted carrot, and I just cooked some rice, so you'll probably get one more repeat shot tomorrow.
Til thennnnnnn, go Sox. Or Cardinals. I dunno. Just eat some beans.

22 comments:

  1. The beans sound great-especially since they aren't as sweet as most. You could pull a Shen and try them on veg burger patties! Or on a baked sweet potato for some carb squared? I'm sure they're great in the salad too-maybe the avocado helped cut the heat.....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes the sweetness is too much for me. LOVE the idea of them on a sweet potato!! Why didn't I think of that?

      Delete
  2. Your adjustments sound great. It looks like a taco salad on the bottom! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh they'd probably be good with chips!

      Delete
  3. I went to my first Red Sox game in Boston few years ago, it was a pretty cool experience, hehe! And then I went to see Liverpool (soccer) play again in that stadium, which was another amazing experience. Baked beans look so good...love them on toast, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenway is a great place to catch a game. I gotta try the beans on toast, good idea.

      Delete
  4. No offense to your salad, but cornbread would have been great. Corn pone even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed my greens :( but yes I now regret not having made cornbread.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, baked beans! I must make a big vat of these when we get home. Coleslaw is not really my thing, but maybe some sort of cabbage pickle would work as a side--or a raw kale salad with apples. Or any cooked winter greens with garlic. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like the idea of them with apple! Perfectly autumnal.

      Delete
  6. You call this 'keeping it short'? Good grief! The Beans weren't the only thing laborious about this post. Anyway, looks good. I've only done canned Baked Beans with Hot Dogs in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got carried away, the game was a blowout and I stopped listening for a while.

      Delete
  7. Yum! These look so good, and I wish your Sox lots of luck - I heard they killed it last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did but now I think I want the Cardinals to win. Or maybe not! I'm so confused!

      Delete
  8. Oooooh fun post! I always thought pairing beans with meat was gross and excessive but I guess that's their deal. I like your salad, it looks so good! I never would think to pit baked beans in a salad but I can definitely see how it would work out well! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it wasn't the best pairing but I'm glad to have gotten some greens in :) Everyone else has great ideas though.

      Delete
  9. I used to make baked beans fairly regularly but it's been years since there have been any coming out of my kitchen. I used to use molasses and bake them for a long time. I think they'd be great served over polenta with a side of steamed greens. We use chipotle in adobo a fair amount but never more than one or two peppers at a time — too spicy otherwise. You used a whole can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES a whole can!!! I didn't know what to expect!!! Luckily it's not too bad - I think baking them took some of the heat off. Polenta and steamed greens sounds delicious. I'll have to make a whole new batch!

      Delete
  10. I, too, have a can of chilis in adobo bought a year ago awaiting its day in the spotlight. I wonder what mine will turn out to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my friend suggested blending them (a few!!! don't make my mistake) into a pizza sauce and making a spicy pizza. I wanna make a hummus with them...

      Delete
  11. The only thing to do with baked beans round this way is to stick them on toast. It's the veganest thing most people over here eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes that I've seen. One of these days I oughta do up a real British breakfast.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.