Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

Almost a Full Day

Mondays are my Sundays, so today was chores, errands, and food prep. Also eating. Also lying down and clutching my head in pain.
Breakfast:

Pear, Justin's Almond butter. One of my errands was to go to Trader Joe's to buy some cheap staples (i.e. almond butter) but I didn't quite do that one. Justin's is so much more expensive, but it really is good. Also, has anyone else had a hard time finding almond butter lately? Whole Foods never seems to have it anymore except for organic and it is $$. The last time I was at TJs, maybe a month or two ago, they were also out. Bizarre.
Did laundry and got down to some serious cooking. You'll see the main dish tomorrow, but I also roasted some carrots while the oven was on. Sticking with the roasted root theme.
Lunch:

                Raw kale salad (done this way!) with tempeh, avocado, and roasted carrots.

Afternoon reading + beer. Ian Svenonius' Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock N' Roll Group. Dude is a madman, also crazy smart. The beer was a whopper but helped my headache.


Went for a walk, to kind of clear my head and SOMEHOW I ended up strolling past Rudy's. The universe was trying to tell me something.

                                                               Vegan carrot cake

Half with a black tea pick-me-up in my Bitch Magazine Adventures in Feministory mug. Everything tastes better when learning about feminists! The cake was suuuper icing-y, and not the cream cheese-y kind. It was a little too sweet but I FORGIVE YOU RUDY'S.

Sat out on the fire escape to eat/drink... This is a pumpkin my roommate carved, hahah. The U is a cat!!
I had a cup of miso soup for dinner. I think that's enough eatin' fer the day.

22 comments:

  1. I just bought MaraNatha almond butter at Costco. It's pretty cheap and comes (of course) in a large 26 oz. jar. It's not organic, but I really like it. The only thing that pissed me off was it came in a plastic jar instead of glass like last time, so I think I'm going to transfer it to my old glass jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I wish I could get a Costco membership but it's really not viable for my transportation methods and storage space. maraNatha is really delicious, though.
      Definitely prefer a glass jar too, though I feel like the damage would be done once it's been in a plastic jar all that time before the transferrence.

      Delete
    2. I agree about the damage but prefer to pretend otherwise.

      Delete
  2. I noticed TJ's didn't have almond butter the last two times I've been there...this worries me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hue of your roasted carrots makes me want to run home and get my roast on right now. Why don't I ever think of using roasted things in salads? Because the world has beat me into submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eat enough of em and you, too, can be the same gorgeous day glo orange as those carrots! Roasted things in salads are one of the finer things in life.

      Delete
  4. I've been getting homemade almond butter at the Farmer's market - stocked up. Haven't checked the stores for it lately, though. Love the kale salad. Holding back comment on the pumpkin. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen almond butter at any farmer's markets here :(

      Delete
  5. I am really looking forward to the day you and I sit down over vegan cake and tea/coffee and spend hours feministering the house down with our words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it will happen. I'll stock up on cake til then.

      Delete
  6. That's so weird about the almond butter! Have you considered making your own? Have you ever tried walnut butter? Walnut butter on apples is pure bliss. So damn good. I would definitely love some cake right now... even if I have to navigate through some seriously sweet icing. I'm not going to lie, I kind of LOVE the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, yeah i've made my own before but it didn't really seem worth it. Walnut butter sounds incredible though. I can imagine it's great on apples or um, anything.
      Heh, I love the pumpkin too!

      Delete
  7. I noticed that TJ's didn't have hardly any PB of any sort when I was there last. Like just two kinds.

    Too much overly sweet icing is an issue I'm also intimately acquainted with.

    So your headache was more like a hangover, hence the 'hair of the dog' cure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there wasn't another salmonella outbreak or something that they decidded not to tell us about. Good thing you are all stocked up on 4+ year old Nutzo.
      And, yes.

      Delete
  8. I agree, nut butters are quite expensive, especially Justin's. TJs is the best place to get cheap staples and I miss shopping there... and yes in a few weeks I will be shopping passionately at TJs. And of course, I miss kale, there isn't any here in BsAs, and that vegan carrot cake = omg. Hehe, love the mug and that awesome lady, Miss Терешко́ва :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will have some nut butter awaiting yr return.
      No kale?? What greens do they use??
      I had not been aquainted with Tereshkova before the mug! She's awesome indeed.

      Delete
  9. reading and beer is the equation for human happiness. You square the result with carrot cake, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) ---> :D What is the emoticon for carrot??

      Delete
  10. YES! I thought it was an East Coast thing, but if this is a new thing for you, then it appears that there is something weird happening. It's either been MaraNatha for $20 or nothing! TJ's finally got some in again, which is good because it's cheap, but honestly, there is something I really don't like about the taste. : (

    Also: yay feminism! ya carrot cake! ya rad pumpkin!

    PS: I "came out" as a feminist in my class today---(just an aside, "I consider myself a feminist")---and you would have thought I said, "I secretly like to steal old ladies' wallets." The students looked shocked that I was "admitting" this. SRSLY?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeesh. maybe they just thought it went without saying?? Like of COURSE she's a feminist! One can only hope.
      I am sensing something weird going on with the almond butter.

      Delete
  11. Delicious day- pears and almond butter are only second to dates and almond butter...
    Have you tried the fresh ground almond butter from whole foods? Its thick with more texture than that drippy super creamy TJs but i got a good sized container for $4. Justins is good stuff (omg the vanilla almond butter!!) but yeah, its not so cheap.....
    Your kale salads always look so amazing- i would be thrilled if that's what came to me at a restaurant
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.