Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A FoodFull Day

I went on a tear yesterday, grocery shopping and cooking like crazy. Was up earlyish and had a quick breakfast.

 Toasted rye bread with Earth Balance, a banana, coffee.
 Then went to Trader Joe's. They do have almond butter back in stock now, FWIW.

chocolate chips, raw sunflower seeds, Gluten-Free bread, Gluten-Full Everything bagels, tomato paste, thyme, lite coconut milk, cranberry-apple butter, fig butter, maple syrup, and agave syrup.

Vegan cream cheese, cilantro hummus, snack bars, extra firm tofu, sundried tomatoes, dates.
snack:

lunch:
                                                       Leftover farro-fennel salad.

After all yr cajoling I baked cornbread to eat with the chipotle baked beans. Used the recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking, which is the one I usually use. It came out pretty well and just slightly sweet.


While the oven was on I also made another of Isa's new recipes: Chai-spiced snickerdoodles. The directions say to bake them on parchment paper; I couldn't find any so I just greased the sheet and hoped for the best. Sometimes it makes a big difference but luckily this time the cookies were fine. They didn't stick to the pans or anything.

This is the spices before getting mixed together on the plate. I thought it looked pretty. This is granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.

Gonna bring em in to work. My friend Jon gave em a "taste test" by which I mean he ate 4.
I also made the Sunflower mac from Isa Does It. Here, over mini shells and steamed kale:

It was good, but not great. I dunno. I added hot sauce. Mine also didn't get all pretty and yellow! Whatever.
Also here is some kinda food-related graffiti I've seen around on walks recently:

Yep.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He CUT his HAND!! I can't say no to a bloody man!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you were certainly busy!!! What a great looking haul! I sadly really like the taste of Clif bars but don't get them often because they aren't the best for you but the Oatmeal Raisin is a fav of mine to bring for a snack on the go. I bet they have their awesome seasonal flavors out now too. Glad you found the almond butter too! I know TJs is great for inexpensive nut butters.

    Those cookies sound DELICIOUS. I love chai spice so these are certainly right up my alley. And now I have all of that cardamom to play with! Hmmm ;)

    Cute food related art, I kind of love the teeth one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a heavy haul too :) I actually don't even really like the taste of CLIF bars all that much, sometimes they are just around and I eat them. Impulse buy, I guess. They definitely aren't that great for us.
      The cookies were definitely a hit at work so that's good. What did you buy cardamom for? It's an underused spice, imo.
      I like the teeth one too! It's cute.

      Delete
  3. Want an extra taste tester? In which case, please let me offer my services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if Jon will leave any for you.

      Delete
  4. I'm really surprised you would buy Bagels at Trader Joe's when you have the best of the best from local Bagelries near you.

    I thought we ate Chili with Cornbread?

    Those Snickerdoodles look delectable.

    I, too, like that 'teeth' graffiti. Makes me long to visit NYC. So much creative energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJs bagels aren't bad, really, and they're definitely cheaper than buying a bagel with tofu cream cheese at a shop. Also I get cravings for them at weird times, like when I'm nowhere near a bagelry. Eh. Not ideal, but it'll do.
      I think cornbread is an acceptable nosh with any juicy bean dish.
      And you should definitely start sneaking off the farm late at night once mr. SV and the pups have nodded off, can of spraypaint in hand and start tagging yr town. Yr creative energy must definitely flow deeper than shown in yr sandwiches.

      Delete
  5. Quick quick, I have a friend going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods across the border this weekend: what items should I ask her to bring back for me? O WISE ONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, the pressure! I am not the person to ask. Their dried fruit is cheap and fun. Uhm?? They DO have pounds of chocolate that might appeal to you.

      Delete
    2. I was about to tease you for calling dried fruit "fun", but then I remember they do have freeze-dried fruit, which is somewhat exciting because I can pretend I'm an astronaut eating it.

      Delete
  6. Seriously productive day you had! Any day with homemade cookies is a good one for sure-and those sound really delicious!
    The sunflower mac probably just needs more salt, those raw seeds and nuts can be bland. Maybe a little vinegar/acid of some kind to perk it up.
    Cornbread is soooo under rated! I like it best cubed and toasty for croutons- which is great for when it's not so fresh anymore
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baking cookies is so easy - I really ought to do it more often. Salt helps most things, as does spice. It has lemon juice in it - I added a bit more of that too and it seems to have improved. Cornbread croutons sound awesome but I always eat it before it can get stale!

      Delete
  7. There are so many things I like from TJ's — wish it was a little closer and not such a zoo. I also wish they would design a sensible parking lot. I really like the sun-dried tomatoes and the candied ginger. (And the vanilla, and...and...) Just got my copy of Isa Does It today but haven't had any time to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even drive and the parking lots make me insane!! They try to jam so many spots in there, everything is at a bizarre, dangerous angle.

      Delete
  8. Love that Sunflower mac! Looks so tasty & creamy with the shells! The food-related graffiti look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gotten better as it has sat in the fridge, flavor wise, but yeah it was surprisingly creamy as well.

      Delete
  9. This is some seriously good food! Love, love, love the cornbread and the chai-spiced cookies sound amazing. Wish I could grab a couple off the screen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only tried one but people said the cookies tasted like Christmas! Not bad in my book.

      Delete
  10. I've been so busy I haven't even opened Isa Does It yet. Those cookies look so good! I was dreaming about cookies last night and those might have been them without even knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find plenty in Isa Does It to keep you busy, as if the testing weren't enough.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.