Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Vegan MoFo 2013 Intro

Hey guys! I am stoked to tell you about my 2013 Vegan MoFo plans. I thought it would be fun, helpful, and useful to highlight farmers market produce for the month of September.
I'm lucky to have so many farmers markets available here in New York, including one very close to work that is open year-round. Hopefully a lot of you still have open farmers markets too and can find similar produce if you are inspired to do so, or at least from a supermarket.
Vegan MoFo surprised a lot of us this year (or maybe just me) by being so early but it works out well - September is a wonderful transitional month for temperate climates like New York: we get some late summer produce, as well as the beginnings of fall goods. Behold the bounty: http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/whatsavailable
I am guilty of not going to the farmer's market as much as I'd like, especially since Whole Foods is right across the street and sometimes I really want a Justin's peanut butter cup to go with my chard and I'll just pick both up at one stop. But no more! I'm going to source at least one component of a meal a day from farmers markets. Hopefully this will make me a more inspired cook, as well as broaden my intake of vegetables I wouldn't otherwise think to pick up.
Perhaps for the more obscure vegetables, I'll provide some nutritional information or alternate uses, like I did as a Veggie Educator with Just Food.
I may intersperse those posts with tours of the various greenmarkets around the city. I'd also like to try to dine out at at least one restaurant known for local market sourcing of ingredients, if I can come up with a good one. Ideas welcome!
See you tomorrow with some farm fresh food.

22 comments:

  1. I totally didn't realize that VeganMofo was in September. I think about joining all year, then when the time arrives - it's always when the school year is a time vacuum, and I can't participate! One day I'll do better.

    I am SO EXCITED about your plans! Woo hoo! Can't wait to read and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this is an incredibly busy time for you! It's hard enough for everyone else who isn't a teacher. I always love seeing yr farmar stuff, though! Totally counts if you are simply inspiration ;)

      Delete
  2. What a GREAT theme! I love farmers markets sooo much. In fact, fresh produce was a big part of why we moved mofo from october to September! you are fully embracing it! I can't wait to see what you cook up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to embrace and eat a lot of it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent idea. I was going to do something about farmers markets for one of the weeks, but the last two markets I visited, including today, I forgot my camera! Good start, right? I love when you are our tour guide to NYC, and am really looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard! Time keeps on slipping. I hope nothing crazy happens in the city to shut down moFo for NYC again this year. Being a guide is fun!

      Delete
  4. I love your MoFo theme idea and as Amey said this kinda thing is totally why we moved MoFo up a month this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very excited about yr mac n cheese plans.

      Delete
  5. Love your theme! I think September is a much better month for MoFo for this very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and the sun sets SLIGHTLY later

      Delete
  6. I was going to do mofo this year, but I looked it up a day too late to join. I'm so happy to hear you aren't perfect like I thought you were, and that you too can be swayed by peanut butter cups. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can still join? But no pressure!! And I am NOWHERE NEAR perfect!!!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh such a great theme Maud!! I can't wait to see what kinds of goodies you pick up from the farmer's markets and what you do with them! I'm guilty of not utilizing the market too, I'm sure your posts will be a good kick in the butt to get me to the market :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LI probably has a lot of great stuff! I hope to see some deliciously nerdy food on yr blog soon :)

      Delete
  8. You weren't the only one caught by surprise! Great theme; I love that it's also kind of a personal dare as well. Happy 'Fo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay mofo! I think farmer's markets are an excellent theme. I actually thought the NYC fall markets were some of the best all year. Those apples! That crisp kale! MAN. California is great and all, but you never really get that frost-finished taste on anything here. Also: APPLE CIDER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the choices we have this time of year, yes. Apple cider most definitely.

      Delete
  10. yay farmers markets! I still need to figure out where they all are around here. I was really good about shopping at farmers markets in Austin, but it all went downhill when I got home, but I don't have the excuse of living in a small city anymore! Excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be cool to hear about the difference between what they had in Austin vs. Toronto.

      Delete
  11. I love this idea!

    Westville (there are several locations now) has a whole huge list of daily market specials that are all based on seasonal produce. Although its not a veg restaurant they do an awesome tofu scramble at brunch and great bloody mary.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll look forward to your daily posts. Don't be relying on G to sub for you when you can't keep up.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.