Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, September 7, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 7: Breakfast and the Union Square Farmer's Market

Last night it was cool enough that I got the urge to bake. Nothing locally sourced here, though the blueberries and strawberries were leftover frozen summer fruits.

These are the corn muffins from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I left out the corn kernels and didn't have enough blueberries, so I added some frozen strawberries as well. Coconut oil, rather than melted Earth Balance.
Breakfast:
Coffee in my single-serve french press, an apple from the Farmer's market (.60 cents), and a muffin. Later smeared with some blueberry jam from the Beth's Farm Kitchen stand at the Union Square market.
See? It totally made up for the lack of berries in the muffins. Lots of whole, sweet berries in there. It was kind of pricey for the jar, though, so next year I'll have to remember to go one better and make my own jam from local berries in season.
I've toured you through the Union Square market before, last year for MoFo, but here are a couple more things that caught my eye recently.

                                                             Beth's sample selection.
                Beth's chutney's. They also make mustards, hot sauces, and pickled vegetables.

                                                                        Ramps!

                       Pear cider!!! I reeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to buy a cup. Maybe next time.

                                                   Callaloo! I had never seen this before.

                                                          Lots of surprising greens.

                                                                 Fresh lima beans

                                                Dried beans and grains from Cayuga Pure

     These guys make tinctures and hand soaps and the like. I thought this bouquet was sweet.
Still playing catch-up with all the MoFoing blogs. I will probably skip tomorrow and see you back on Monday!

32 comments:

  1. Can I please have some corn muffins? Berryful corn muffins? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful market! I'm so glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callaloo? Fresh lima beans? Pear cider? What an eclectic market. We used to get ramps from our CSA but only for a couple weeks in very early spring. I've never heard of callaloo, did you buy some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised to see the ramps too! I thought the season would be way over. I didn't buy the callaloo! Now I regret it.

      Delete
  4. Those muffins look great and I love that market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Union Square farmer's market. I really need to get there soon... maybe in the fall :) Gorgeous looking muffins and the jam looks really delicious too! The single serve french press coffee is a thing of beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam was awesome. I wanna eat it on everything but I should be more discriminating since it was so expensive!

      Delete
  6. I've only ever seen callalloo in tins - you should definitely grab some, I'd love to see how it cooks. Impressed at your muffinwork too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I let it go. maybe I'll check back on Wednesday.

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous collection of photos of the Union Square Market! Great finds at the markets! The blueberry jam looks so delicious on a muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun market. Lots of good stuff!

      Delete
  8. Your mofo posts are reminding me of how lazy I've been about finding the farmers markets in Tampa - and that was one of the things I was looking forward to about living here. Must go find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear about the kind of produce they have in Tampa!

      Delete
  9. Single-serve french press, you say? I may have to keep an eye out for one at the thrift store... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. After this impressive mega-post, I am okay with you taking a little break. Don't be gone too long though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a day! Oh man I couldn't get my photos to load yesterday, though, and I was afraid I'd have to duck out like last year when I lost my camera! Ugh. Thankfully I fixed the problemo.

      Delete
  11. Ohhhhhh, thanks to your photo I now know that callaloo is amaranth!!!

    What a nice market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOoooh informative! I wouldn't have put the two together. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. The muffins look great! And I love blueb jam :)

    Callaloo! I need some for the vegan Caribbean book but I can't find it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love blueberries raw, but I think they make my favorite flavor jam. Apricot too. Which vegan Caribbean book?

      Delete
  13. I want those muffins! And cider weirds me out but I really don't know why. Probably because I've only ever had that powdered stuff. Callaloo and ramps are new to me, and I love the assortment of greens and beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powdered cider?? Never heard of that. Real cider is incredible. You've got to try it!

      Delete
    2. It's usually made with apples, though, from what I've seen. Pear must be awesome.

      Delete
  14. phew; I didn't realize your were blogging EVERYDAY; good on you! Have the yellow jackets vacated the USQ farmar yet? They are the bain of my existence there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard but none of my posts are as impressive and thorough as yrs!
      Have seen no bees! All clear :)

      Delete
  15. I can't believe you guys get ramps in NYC! I live in ramp country and no one brings them to market--le jealous fo sho. The blueberry jam looks awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes those tours last MoFo were nifty. Quite an array of jams Beth has got there. I like corn kernels but I am glad you left them out and put in the berries. Do you ship?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever muffin recipe modification! A berry corn muffin sounds amazing...
    What day were you at the market? I have never seen the dried beans people and good heritage beans can be awesome.
    Not sure i could pay $8 to beth for only 4oz of jam, tho i'm sure its good. I keep making fake jam by pureeing fresh berries with a little agave and splash of water and chia seeds
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.