Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 6: All Good Things

Tonight's dinner came together even more perfectly than I expected. I noticed the eggplants, I passed on the eggplants (having already roasted them recently.) Then I noticed the bok choy and remembered how much I love bok choy. When I saw the young ginger that Andrea recommended (even at $16 a pound - not that I need anywhere near that much), I was sold on an Asian-y eggplant stir fry for dinner, despite having also made that fairly recently. This has gotta be the most eggplant I've eaten in a month ever.
The haul:

Ginger, eggplant, and bok choy for $3.90. The scallions are a huuuuuge bunch for $2. Like, dudes, I just need one scallion. Maybe two. But anyway, I was excited for dinner.
I only regretted that I never have grains or noodles in the house unless I pre-planned to make something specific. Oh, for some brown rice! Woe, for some soba noodles! But home I went, still pretty damn pleased with the ginger and bok choy.
When I opened the refrigerator, Oh, Lo! What light through yonder leftover basil breaks! G and I went out to dinner monday evening and I refused to let him throw out the leftover noodles from a vegetable curry dish he had. "Take that home and eat it! Or give it to me, I'll put tofu and vegetables in it for you and then you can eat it!" I promptly forgot about his leftover noodles until this fortutitous moment, dear reader. So I used dat shit.
I went about my planned vegetable technique. Fresh, young ginger and chopped garlic in coconut oil. Add sliced eggplant, water, and soy sauce and let steam/fry in the pan. I had half a portabella mushroom in the fridge; in that went. Add chopped bok choy stems and red pepper flakes. Add bok choy greens and scallion. DONE.


Then I dumped it on top of the curry and let my tastebuds sing. The soy sauce and red pepper flakes were perfect counterpoint to the slightly sweet curry, and the vegetables and noodles were just slightly mushy enough that the bok choy stems were a good crunch.
Sorry Geeg. Wish you coulda been here to eat it. I will cook for you soon, after buying a 20 lb bag of brown rice to always have some on hand in case of emergencies such as this. Cool?

26 comments:

  1. YES!!!! This meal is absolutely perfect. A perfect combination of veggies and spices. I love bok choy and don't eat it nearly enough. This must change! Now to figure out what to do with all of those scallions ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still thinking scallion pancakes, but that will probably never happen because I'm lazy.

      Delete
    2. Scallion pancakes are one of my favorite foods on earth. If you made them you would be my hero.

      Delete
  2. Wow, even though all the other stuff seems cheaper, the ginger seems really expensive. Young ginger is milder than old ginger so you can use a lot more. Could you taste It? It sure sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I used enough! Didn't realize that it would be milder... but I tried it raw and it was really good.

      Delete
  3. What an impressive meal! I forget how much i like eggplant. That is a serious bunch of scallions- i always love to add them to miso.
    The noodle story is too funny but worked out for you! I'm embaressed to admit i've stopped into the sketchy chinese place in my hood often for a $1 small brown rice on my way home so i can save time making dinner.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love eggplant actually but I get kind of weirded out that it's a nightshade so I don't want to eat too much of it.
      Never thought of picking up rice but that makes a lot of sense.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. remember we used to make food together all the time? I have muffins you can eat.

      Delete
  5. I love you for paraphrasing Shakespeare and using the words "dat shit" in the same paragraph. I think Willy would've appreciated that too, seeing as he had such a potty mouth himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I mean he invented like half the English language and it's all pretty smutty. Next time yr in NY please let me know and we'll talk food and literature together!

      Delete
    2. For true? I would love that. I am constantly tempted to fly over, but at present I'm thinking early next year and/or mid next year for another bout of US travellin'. :)

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, I think Greg is jealous that he missed this meal? ;) It certainly looks beautiful! I know what you mean about scallions - a recipe calls for one or two, then you feel pressure to use them up before they wilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are already looking sad. I tried to give some to my friend and he wouldn't take them!

      Delete
  7. Mmmmmmm, bok choy! I love them in noodle soups! Look at these massive scallions, the massive they are, the better ;) hehe! You can freeze the diced scallions and use them in soups, noodles or even fried rice. If I have all of the scallion that you have, I will make the Chinese scallion buns (I made them, but didn't post a recipe yet, maybe soon)! I can't believe the eggplant is pretty cheap, it's kind of pricey in Oregon, but ginger & bok choy should be fairly cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about freezing them! That's a great idea. Scallion buns sound so good!

      Delete
  8. Ahh! Bok choy, how could I forget you? And it is so sad without brown rice or soba! If I don't have those grains, I might as well not have food, even if the fridge is full. At least you found leftover backup noodles! The stir fry looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curse you! I'm sitting here trying to get myself in gear to make dinner, messing about, trying to work out what I want to eat, and guess what? IT'S THAT. And I don't even know where the nearest bok choy is. DOUBLE CURSES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing better than enjoying your own cooking.

    I like Greg's Jesse Pinkman imitation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when leftovers work out so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very impressive. Nothing that exciting ever comes out of my leftovers. Just, you know, leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any leftovers are exciting leftovers. No cooking!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.