Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 3: Basil!

Something more summery than roasted vegetables: basil.

Why do I always forget how amazing basil is? Why, also, do I not grow my own anymore? I used to have a small pot on our fire escape and the basil did pretty well, considering I am not exactly an attentive "gardener." But I don't have my own basil right now, so to the St. Marks Church farmers market it was.
I normally go to the farmers market at Union Square, which is slightly closer and much bigger, but they aren't open on Tuesdays. Every week at St. Marks there are two large-ish produce stands, a Bread Alone stand, and an information/ sample + prep stand with EBT information. A few shots of the stands:

In the front, in the blinding light is cantaloupe! I really wanted to buy some but did not want to have to haul it home. Oh wells.
To market to market to buy a fat....sig..il...home again, home again, jiggety jig(gle).

And what did I use this beautiful bunch for? Why, pesto of course!
I am testing for Joni Marie Newman and Gerri Lynn's new cookbook. Included is a delicious recipe for oil-free pesto!

Really easy to make and very quick to whip together.
Dinner: simple green salad: (and, apologies - even though MoFo was moved up a month, the lighting by the time I get home from work is already fading...)

Spinach, tofu, portabella mushroom, and zucchini topped with pesto. It's a little more liquidy than the pesto I usually make, so it serves well as a salad dressing.
But now I need yr help: what else do I do with the rest of the basil?? (Although I'd be perfectly happy to just make a ton of pesto.)

29 comments:

  1. Hiya, I have an award for you at my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pesto is always a good idea — you could freeze any leftovers in ice cube trays. But, one of the most delicious dishes I've ever had was in Italy. It was pasta with basil, tomatoes and olive oil. It doesn't sound like much, but it tasted so good..I think the basil and tomatoes were slightly wilted in the oil. Or, you could make herb salt. I learned to make it at The Splendid Table, and I have a link on my blog. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh herb salt! Classy. I will check out the link, thanks.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I totally agree on the basil love! It's the quintessential smell and taste of summer. When it shows up again after a long winter, I do an extended happy dance. I really enjoy tossing pesto with grains like brown rice, barley, millet, or what have you. Then I add in roasted chickpeas, sliced cherry tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, or whatever else sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds easy enough. I SHOULD just throw it in everything, right?

      Delete
  4. Mojitos with basil. Seriously good stuff.
    The rest i just tear into salads, although i love basil with strawberries and black pepper. Sounds weird but with its kind of awesome.

    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed a basil mojito myself and I second this suggestion.

      Delete
    2. Oh boy I WISH. somewhat as decadent, I was thinking of making Hannah Kaminsky's basil shortbread cookies... if only it doesn't wilt til after tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. yeah, I'd go with ice cube trays - keep it for future use when the light's even more faded! Either that or put it in with some new potatoes, olives and cherry toms for a bit of salad love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pesto is always the answer! I would make more and then bake it into bread rolls. There's an awesome pesto roll recipe in Whole Grain Vegan Baking, but I'm sure it would be easy enough to just make up a recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious. I wish I were less lazy about making bread.

      Delete
  7. Yeeeees!!!!! I always forget how amazing fresh basil is too. It is so bright and vibrant and your pesto looks like it really captures that brightness. I've heard a rumor that adding a few leaves and a few strawberries to cold water leads to infused water deliciousness ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome. I've been making lemon water recently. Could use some brightening up.

      Delete
  8. I loooooooove basil! I'm so sad that it's the end of summer and it will be harder to find (and more expensive) soon. I have three plants I'm trying to keep alive but they're all kind of sad looking so I end up having to go buy more when I make something. I actually just made pesto yesterday for a sandwich recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't even TRY to buy it out of season. So $$$. Pesto sandwich! I bet it'd be great on a grilled cheese.

      Delete
  9. I love pesto, it's been forever since I made my own though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah, I've missed reading! And I'm missing Vegan MoFo on my own blog, blergh. But this is great, and I love basil, but i have no recs other than pesto. Or just some fresh big pieces in salad. Like a vegan caprese style sammy with tofu instead of cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've missed you! Hope you are well and settling in. I'm into the caprese idea.

      Delete
  11. Basil is so good, and like you, I wish I was still growing my own! This looks so good...I love homemade pesto. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dayum! How hot is that guy looking at the fruits & veggies. You couldn't get better pics of him?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your version of the nursery rhyme better! How about tomato basil salad? How about fresh spaghetti sauce with chopped basil added at the very end? How about rolls with basil kneaded in the dough? How about summer squash sauteed, and with basil thrown in at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would only buy a fat pig to snuggle with. I like all of these ideas! Especially the summer squash.

      Delete
  14. I've never been a pesto girl (pine nuts are not my jam), but I do love the vibrant colour of your pesto. I don't mind a bit of oil in my life, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for Basil! I just had fresh basil on pizza with Violife Herb Cheeze, Green Bell Peppers, and Mushrooms. Have you tried Violife before? What a refreshing salad with the basil pesto! You can freeze the "basil pesto" in small containers as long as you top them with a bit of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.