Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 25: Lunch and Dinner

I can't keep making new food! My fridge is stuffed to the gills.
Lunch: raw collard salad, half a roasted sweet potato, tomato, and tofu. Only the tofu was not from the farmer's market.

Collards dressed with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes.
Ate in the park with G, who grabbed his meal from Paradis which, as we've established, is pretty seasonal and locally sourced too.
Broccoli rabe with chickpeas and tomato in a garlic dressing.


I had picked up two zucchini (for $2/lb) at the St. Mark's market yesterday, along with the collards.

I am still working on a few last test recipes for Joni Newman's other upcoming cookbook. The other day I made Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup (with rice) and tonight I tossed in spinach along with the chopped zucchini.


The base of the soup is really delicious, and is super hearty. There are lentils and tofu in there along with the rice. Not as "local" as lunch but definitely seasonal. Soup-seasonal!

23 comments:

  1. Maybe you should change your theme to "leftovers." or "leftovers from the market." Sounds like you're good to go through the end of mofo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been cool and rainy here, and soup has been on my mind. Awesome that your recipe testing for Joni Newman. I saw her speak at VVC and thought she was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joni is a powerhouse. Book after delicious book. So happy for soup season.

      Delete
  3. I remember cooking broccoli rabe once, and I must've killed it or something because it was hideously unpalatable. I keep meaning to go back and try it again. And that is definitely a hearty looking soup, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like broccoli rabe a lot. It's kind of bitter but it's good.

      Delete
  4. Can someone translate broccoli rabe into English English? I'm a fan of broccoli in all its forms and am very keen to get some in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can only describe it: it looks like long stalks of slightly skinnier broccoli and can be a bit bitter. Regular broccoli is better, IMO.

      Delete
    2. ^^ tho I like rabe more than regular.

      Delete
  5. I'm hungry - I would love to have some of your hearty "chicken" rice, lentil & tofu soup with spinach & zucchini - so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for soup season! Your miso prowess has you tossing raw veg into all soups now, I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had hoped it'd cook a little bit in reheating but it didn't and it was ok anyway.

      Delete
  7. You're a kitchen NINJA right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that soup looks awesome! I love hearty soups and I've never put lentils and rice in the same pot. Definitely need to try this fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soup looks incredible! It has definitely been soup weather, I'm actually curled up under the covers as I type! Well I also have a cold so maybe that's why the soup is screaming my name too ;) The salad is gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got warm again! Then cold at night! I am so confused! I just wanna eat some soup.

      Delete
  10. I love the look of the noodle soup with rice - yum! And I know what you mean, cooking almost every day means SO many leftovers in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my friends won't even take my food anymore.

      Delete
  11. Gotta admit, your lunch is holding its own against G's Paradis grub.

    The Soup looks PDG as well.

    You're batting a thousand with this MOFO. Don't drop the ball now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that soup looks so amazing! hearty and full of veggies. That is what I'm in the mood for right about now. I know what you mean about mofo busting the seams of your fridge. I'm not really having that problem this mofo, but I've certainly experienced it in years past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. The more veg the merrier.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.