Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 24: Sweet Potato Collard Wraps

Tonight's dinner was a variation on a high-raw dinner I often make in the summer: collard wraps stuffed full of tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, bell pepper, hummus, and whatever else is in the fridge. Somehow it always tastes good and manages to fill me up but not sit heavily in my stomach.
It was 52 degrees this morning so my mind was less on a cooling, raw dinner, but an easy, handheld warming something er other.
Picked up collards and a sweet potato at the St. Marks market:

                               Gigaaaaantic: A big big love. This monster was three dollahs.
Tomato from Grand Army Plaza, already cooked sweet potater ($1.50/ lb). I learned this way of roasting them from my mom: just puncture them all over with a fork and roast em in the skin. They cook pretty quickly and taste really sweet. At 400 degrees, it took about 40 minutes to get really soft.

Wash and de-vein yr collard leaf carefully! I always picture jabbing myself with the knife. That would sure ruin dinner. I put down some roasted garlic hummus, smushed the warm sweet potato on, and topped it with some tomato. I never really have a hard time eating the collard leaves raw. If you prefer, you can blanch the leaves though putting the hot sweet potato on immediately softened them up a bit anyway. Quick, minimal prep, infinitely variable.


Ain't no looker but whatever! It was good. I ate and spent the next half hour prepping the rest of those leaves! Mucho collard salad, some chopped for smoothies, lunch for tomorrow, and I STILL have leaves left. Not complaining.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Collards and sweet potatoes are so good together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The collards are really gorgeous, and I am definitely feeling them after the delicious saute last week. I still should try them raw, and this sounds like a great way to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like them. Honestly, a lot of the time I'm to lazy or rushed to cook anything so raw greens usually work best for me.

      Delete
  3. Man, why do I never make collard wraps? Tortilla wraps, yes; collard wraps, no. Clearly I need to get with the program, because these look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it do it! You could probably come up with an exceptional filling.

      Delete
  4. the collards were a deal. Great use of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's eating a green without hardly trying!

      Delete
  5. What an awesome score on those collards!! I'll totally make this soon, what a perfect fall meal.
    My mom made baked potatoes the same way too! Ha! Works every time.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! It's like 5 meals for 3 dollars. Hope you do enjoy it if you make it.

      Delete
  6. I'm a recent convert to collards (rather prosaically called 'greens' over here) but have yet to work up to the whole raw thing. I need to get involved with the sweet potato-raw collard, I can see that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But...there are so many greens! Yesyes to the combo. It;s a classic, or a modern classic, or....it should be.

      Delete
  7. I love collard greeeens. And collard wraps rule! And thank you (and your mom!) for that sweet potato cooking tip, I've done that with regular potatoes and just never thought to cross it over to the better potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I'm not sure I've ever done it with regular potatoes. I usually just slice those.

      Delete
  8. Now that it's cooler I've got to start baking some potatoes. You're still not gonna convince me to try raw collards again, though; no siree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanch em! Or, even if you lay them out and brush them with oil and them them sit, they still soften up.

      Delete
  9. Interesting puncture job on that Sweet Potato. Good way to get your inner serial killer out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better the sweet potato than a coworker.

      Delete
  10. I wouldn't mind you making me these at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Collard wraps all the way, great concoction! I had a collard wrap last night for dinner too. The best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gigantic looking collards! Buenos Aires is also experiencing 50s, it's pretty cold and I don't even have winterwear with me (so unprepared). I only go out in the afternoons when it's slightly warmer in the high 50s/low 60s. The wrap looks beyond delicious - healthy and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Internet World Wide Online Jobs and Business Plans. Genuines Works of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.