Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, September 23, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 23: Grand Army Plaza Farmer's Market

Yet another new-to-me farmer's market today. Well, not exactly today today since today is Monday and this market is only on Saturdays. But I went this last Saturday and I am posting it for you today. It is also technically not "new-to-me"since I was here once before, but that was when I was helping at a stand so basically I was there at 6:30 am to set up and left at like 8, not really looking around.
Now that we've gotten that all cleared up, here is the Grand Army Plaza market, just north of Prospect Park in Brooklyn.
I took the bus down Nostrand Avenue and walked along tree-lined Eastern Parkway to get there. Lots of people far more motivated than I run along this stretch. I strolled, keeping my eyes out for coffee.


You walk past both the Brooklyn Museum, with the fountain outside and usually pretty fantastic exhibits inside...

and the main Brooklyn Public Library:

But we are here to eat. Or, at least gather things to prepare and then eat.

The market is actually a bit smaller than I thought it was, but it is the second largest that I've visited, besides Union Square and even that one is getting smaller as the fall comes in. Both Grand Army Plaza and Union Square markets are open year-round. GAP is Saturdays only from 8am to 4pm.
Typical:

                    (I saw okra at a not-FarMar today for 2.99/lb so it seems like 4/lb here is fair.)

                                              I love that the broccoli comes with its leaves.
                                      DANCE WITH ALL THE COLORS OF THE WIND
Lots of cute (and dangerously spicy) peppers. The smaller the hotter, usually. I find that to be the case with people as well.
Hot sauces made with said peppers.


Perks of outdoor grocery shopping? You can bring the pooch. And throw husks on the ground right there! Yeah! Damn the man!
Leaving the market, the arch:

Dedicated to "The Defenders of the Union."
I didn't buy anything all that exciting, hence the extensive 'hood tour. I got a peach, which I ate right away and was not mindblowing, the okra you saw in the salad yesterday and two tomatoes.

I couldn't even think of much to do with the tomatoes. But when it's coming to the end of tomato season, they are pretty damn good straight up. Quick lunch today:


Gluten-free brown rice bread with Tofutti, tomato, hot sauce (not from the market), and scallions (still going strong from the market uhhh...two weeks ago? I put em in a glass with water.)
And, well, gosh, that's it for now. Perhaps something extraordinary tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. Another fun market! Cute pic of the pooch!! Love seeing the pups at the market :) I like that they have the peppers and the hot sauces too. I love a before and after ;) I agree, when tomatoes are in season they are best straight up. That's a perfect way to enjoy them! I like the nice thick slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah! Another great post - sites and eats (and pooch! Same size as Remy!), what will I do when MoFo is over and I can't armchair travel all over NY? :) That is a serious hot sauce stand, and I love the look your toast. . .Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you bring Remy with you to the market? This one seemed to be enjoying himself. I'll try to keep up more of the city shots for you post-mofo :)

      Delete
  3. All that produce and you just got some Okra and two Tomatoes? The Simple Syrups look right up your alley too.

    That library looks really intense. I'd be too intimidated to go in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt tired of seeing the same stuff. I'm too lazy to figure out what to do with simple syrups! What would you do with them?
      The library does look a little imposing but it's really nice inside. Any more or less intense than the one in midtown guarded by lions??

      Delete
  4. I just love going to farmers markets so much. I love the colors, the seasonality, the unique offerings, the hustle of activity, all the little interactions... it's so fun. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors and seasonality are my favorite part. I'm not big on interactions, ha!

      Delete
  5. The area around the markets looks lovely, and the produce looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice neighborhood. Wish I got over there more often.

      Delete
  6. beautiful photo essay, FF! great hues and I have such fond memories growing up with the Brooklyn Public Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could bring back some memories. Love a Brooklyn girl!

      Delete
  7. I've always loved the entrance to that library! Hmm, a 25% upswing on the okra? Seems like it should be about an even trade to cut out the middleman, no? Those farmar savages are taking advantage! Also, I need to buy better onions.

    Awesome clarifying paragraph, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, isn't it? I feel like it belongs inside the met, next to a sarcophagus. I always want to buy onions at the farmar but it seems dumb since I can get them anywhere.
      And haha, thank you! Can anyone say tangent?

      Delete
  8. I love the door of the library. Very cool! Everything at the market is so colorful. Love that they had all the hot sauces. I would have had a hard time not buying many of them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, now I wish I'd bought a hot sauce! They were like 7 dollards, though :(

      Delete
  9. Are those REAL Jersey tomatoes? I haven't had a good one in so long I can barely remember the taste. I've heard the old time Jersey tomatoes have all been replaced with "modern" seeds and the genuine wonders just don't exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tour! I'm so lame that i have never been to that market- no good reason aside from the fact union sq is so much closer. Well, and i always get lost in brooklyn! I read that the leaves of the broccoli are great for juicing.... Haven't tried it myself yet but i love broccoli so that reason alone is why i should go to this one!
    Your tofutti toast is the perfect way to eat good tomatoes.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.