Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 22: Mabon Salad

Happy Mabon! Happy Fall! Happy Equinox! Gahhh the weather is nice and the produce is crisp and my cat is warm on my lap and this is my favorite, favorite time of the year. Even though I am not personally in a field harvesting goodness, I feel really productive and healthy and, like, ridden through with nature and stuff. It is time to break out the flannels and listen to Sleater-Kinney and grunge and Sebadoh and Tom Waits (okok I do that year-round.)
Forgive the slight break in posts so I could take a walk to a park and pick up leaves and breathe air. I hope you all can find time to do that too. It's definitely a time to celebrate the earth and its bounty. I figured there was no better way to do that than to make a huge salad incorporating the best of the last summer produce and the incoming fall goods.
But first, an attempt at making Haxan wear a Mabon crown. Mostly she just ended up wearing the gatherings and sniffing around. Cats just don't put up with that crap.


Anywho, I didn't pick up too much new produce at the market the other day, just a purple kohlrabi for a dollar. (Oh, and some okra for $4/lb but I don't have a picture.)

And some apple cider. Had to.


The rest of the produce in the salad was already in the house. I roasted the okra along with the rest of the radishes. Tossed in olive oil with salt and pepper. Those were the cooked elements. Everything else was raw:

Microgreens from the Columbia University market, raw corn, grated carrot, julienned kohlrabi. Along side a tahini-mustard dressing (just thinned with water.)

It was perfect. The mustard spiced up the sweeter elements (corn, carrots) and the tahini mellowed the radish and kohlrabi. I hardly had to do anything to the meal. So, so good. Eaten out on the fire escape. Little missy came to visit in the wind:


ALSO I would probably usually cheers the equinox holiday with some wine or something but opted for Bilberry Kombucha instead. The bubbliness feels celebratory. Cheers.


What Autumn produce are you most excited for?? ALSO: YO LAAAA!! What is yr favorite music to listen to in the Fall?

16 comments:

  1. Because it was the first day of fall today, I allowed myself to buy a delicata squash. I have not allowed myself any squash until it is technically the cooler seasons, because I desperately need there to be positive things in the lead up to WINTER OF DOOOOOOOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought a delicata yet but I did pick up a kabocha yesterday! Not sure I like delicata as much as other squash TBH but it has a sweet name.
      Stay warm up North.

      Delete
  2. I celebrated fall with a friend, biking all over the city and sitting on the highline with a people's pop in one hand and a hot cup from blue bottle in the other :) your salad sounds like a great mix, i have to make that dressing!
    I will toast the equinox with my hard cider-they should sell hot hard cider at the farmers markets!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect! I haven't been to the Highline since last year. Is it open year-round? I like that you straddled the seasons too - coffee and popsicle! ha!
      I'm sort of surprised they sell wine at the markets but yes please! Hot hard cider would be soooo amaaazing!

      Delete
  3. Hax is adorable!! And your meal looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went for a good walk today with our walking meetup group — we get to see parts of the city we didn't know about. From the farmers market kabocha squash and roasted poblanos. The young ginger will be coming in two weeks, says the farmer — something to look forward to besides rain. Your salad has everything a salad should have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice! I need something like that to get me out of the house. Did you buy the poblanos already roasted? And I got a kabocha too! Yayayay.
      The young ginger is so nice, thanks for telling me about it.

      Delete
    2. There's one market near us that has a roaster, and they roast peppers on the spot for you. They look so gorgeous and taste so good it's too hard to remember you can roast them yourself for cheaper at home. I put a red one on toast today with some homemade cashew cheese. You're welcome.

      Last year WF set up a roaster outside the store.

      Delete
  5. I love autumn - all the snap in the air, pretty falling leaves and all that jazz. That is, until the never-ending rain comes, and I want to punch someone. In the meantime, happy kohkrabi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so wonderful? magical tree rain. Until the real rain.
      The kohlrabi is happy to make an appearance.

      Delete
  6. Happy belated equinox! Yeah this time of year rocks, partly because my birthday is soon, and also because it tends to be very creatively productive, probably because everything is all purty. Also cats! Want cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh lucky you. Happy upcoming birthday! Agree on the productivity.
      Get a cat! Does yr new apartment allow them?

      Delete
  7. I am so happy that autumn is upon us! I am ready for cool weather, changing leaves, fall produce - love it! I am jealous of your apple cider!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever hear of Feline Freedom of Religion? I guess not.

    The Salad looks good, for the most part. There is some strangeness going on that I will assume was a Radish and not a discarded used condom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cats rule the world, as do microgreens and tahini. I think there should be a cookbook called, Tom Waits and Tahini in Tahiti. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.