Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 18: WIAW - FarMar leftovers

Phew! Buying and making new stuff everyday from the farmers market is leaving me with a lot of leftovers. I even tried to push some onto my friends but they just won't take it.
Here is a What I Ate Wednesday (remember when I used to post my daily eats on the reg? How did I ever do that?) using up some of the stuffs. Tried to keep it fresh.
Breakfast, marcona almonds from the dinner-which-shall-not-be-named. Later, an unpictured, non-local banana.


Later, at work, a "mind-blowing" peach G picked up for me from the farmer's market. Would you believe this is the first (and probably last) peach I've had all season?
Sticker is one of many a co-worker decorated my desk with.
Lunch:

Cooked amaranth leaves, brown rice, scallions, and re-hydrated shiitake mushrooms with soy sauce. 
Snack:

Dinner, for G and I:

         $2.50/lb tomatoes. The prices are rising! Does that mean the end (of the season) is nigh?

In a pan with cooked red lentils, coconut oil, brown rice, onions, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and curry powder.

  my bowl, over amaranth and spinach. Bonus: Haxan in the background eating her dinner too!

G's bowl, with wilted spinach. It was awesome. ALSO I AM STILL CATCHING UP WITH ALL YOU PROLIFIC DELICIOUS BLOGGERS. Keep on keepin on. See you tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. I am so intrigued by those amaranth leaves! Also, hi Haxan! Sorry you don't like arugula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one peach? Only one peach? I eat nectarines and peaches by the case. Nectarines make the best smoothies, too. Tomatoes at the farmers market today were $4/lb, which is what they've been all season, except when they are $5/lb. I didn't buy any cause we still have a few homegrown ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never seek out peaches! I am always disappointed, so I just let Greg, the master, pick them for me when he desires. Good thing you have homegrown tomatoes - they sound expensive otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Hi Maud! I'm a little late to the party, but I really like your farmer's market MoFo theme! I've only had one peach this year, too. Getting that perfect one is such a treat. I'm sad that the summer produce season is ending, but happy for the Fall things like apples and pumpkin. The lentil dish looks really, really good. It's finally cool enough in my house to turn the stove on, so I should try something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I am having a good time with it.
      Apples and beets and pumpkins are all things I'm excited for.
      Glad it's cooled down for you...the dish was worth it.

      Delete
  4. Now I'm in the mood for lots and lots of lentil soup over big handfuls of greens, and it's not even ten am! LENTILS FOR BREAKFAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll get yr morning started. Lentils and coffee.

      Delete
  5. Whoa, these Marcona almonds look so cool - I haven't heard or seen them before. I see that you used amaranth leaves with rice ;) looks yummy! I miss GTS kombucha - my favorite is the Multi-Green! The curry lentils dish looks so delicious...I bought curry powder at the Spice Market in ChinaTown, Buenos Aires and there's a jar of lentils in the kitchen...mmmm I want to make that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look for them in Spain! GTs kombucha is great. This ginger one is probably my favorite but they're all so refreshing. Curry powder is great with so much! Especially lentils. I bought fresh curry powder just for this!

      Delete
  6. What is wrong with your friends?! I want free local food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to G for bringing you a mind-blowing Peach. No small feat. He earned that dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love peaches but like you have had too many really bad ones here in nyc- at some point i kind of gave up wasting my $! I think the tomato season is fading but i'm clinging to every last one i can.....
    Your lentily dinner sounds awesome- G is such a lucky man!
    Ttrockwood
    Ps
    The hemp seed blondie at LPQ i picked up at the one near bryant park but i'm sure other locations have it too- so. so. amazing. My omni friend wanted a "taste" and ate nearly half!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.