Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 14: Peruvian Purple Potato Soup

Sorry about missing yesterday's post. It was Friday, I was tired, and dinner took a long time to cook so I'd have only more shoddy photos to share. But now:

Not so shoddy, eh? 3 bruised heirlooms for $2/lb, 5 smallish purple potatoes, a bruised bell pepper also on sale, and a poblano chile. I don't remember the separate prices for everything else but the total was $7.
I've probably mentioned this before, but I work at a bookstore entering data for the new books that come through. This means I get first glimpses at a lot of new cookbooks, often even before the book is officially released. Last night's dinner was from one such cookbook, Mollie Katzen's The Heart of the Plate. I love Mollie Katzen's older books - I have The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and of COURSE the Moosewood Cookbook. But this new one is beautiful and more modern than those other two while still keeping her typical folksy, quirky charm. And obviously, the recipes all still sound wonderful.
I took ingredient notes and headed to the market and headed straight home, excited to prepare a hearty stew on a cooling night. I quick-soaked some pinto beans and started prepping the vegetables.

                                                      Sweating the peppers with onion

These purple potatoes made me so happy! Actually, all of the various colors of everything made me happy.

                                       The finished stew, only slightly less vibrantly colored.

And the warm bowl for dinner, sprinkled with extra chile powder and cumin. I'm bummed I didn't have any limes to squeeze into the bowl, like Mollie suggests, but it was great anyway. Perfect September food.
Have you all started transitioning into soup season yet? Enjoying any new cookbooks lately?? I can't decide if I should buy the book - I have toooo many. But it looks so nice!

19 comments:

  1. Two things: I want to have your job, and the soup looks so good! I can't wait for more soup/stew weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this weather. And you can have the job.

      Delete
  2. Haha I'm with Ingrid, your job sounds awesome! How cool to get to see these books before we all do! Definitely a great perk :) Beautiful looking stew, definitely perfect for the fall like weather we've been having.

    I haven't made a soup yet but I may on Monday. I've been dying to make a garlic soup with yummy garlicky broth. I'll definitely post it if I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garlic soup sounds perfect. I'd love to see what you've been up to food-wise.

      Delete
  3. Wow- that sounds like such an amazing combo! Did the recipe ask for purple potatoes? I love them. Funny story- i made purple mashed potatoes for a family potluck and even labeled them (mashed purple potatoes: earth balance, veg broth, salt) and only two people ate them!! I had a ton of leftovers, so i got lucky but color of food has such an impact. Well, and they were all lame.
    Anyways.
    I'm in denial about fall and postponing stews and soups as long as possible. Is it possible for you to "borrow" the book to read on your lunchbreaks?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, though the recipe said if you can't find them to sub a waxy red potato. I'm glad I found the purple ones though!
      Gotta say, not sure I'd be able to eat purple mashed potatoes either... One year for St. Pats I made green potatoes, and even though I knew exactly what went in them, I could still barely force them down.
      We are allowed to borrow the books! I rarely borrow cookbooks, though, because I'm so messy in the kitchen I'd probably return it all splattered.

      Delete
  4. I just read an interview with Mollie Katzen about her new book.Her early cookbooks were kind of like guidebooks to being vegetarian. I love to look at Still Life With Menu — such pretty paintings. I was surprised when I saw her in person once, that she said she wasn't a vegetarian. I'll have to be on the lookout for her newest book in the local bookshops, but like you, I have too many already.

    We had soup last night and chipotle polenta and beans in the slow cooker tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you see the interview? I'll try to find it. I've read something else where a woman thought The moosewood cookbook was written by her mother because it looked so homemade and her mom apparently cooked out of it a lot.
      Funny, I didn't know mollie katzen wasn't vegetarian either.
      I've got to make polenta soon!

      Delete
  5. Look at those beautiful tomatoes and peppers! This may be the best time of the year produce-wise. I went tomato crazy at the farmers market today. If only they could taste like this all year around!

    I haven't transitioned into soups just yet. I'm trying to hold it off as long as possible! Where I live, there's more than enough soup-weather for me to get my fill. I'll keep this purple potato soup in mind when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. The earth abounds! Isn't it so sad when tomato season ends?

      Delete
  6. Interesting how you linked to the publishers website for the book and not Amazon.

    If I had the recipe for this soup, I would definitely make it. Looks very satisfying. So nice how the veggies retained their original colors at the end. Great job (making the soup and blogging, not entering the data in the store database, I can't speak to how you do that)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I work at a bookstore so I'd rather support the publishing industry and not Amazon, which constantly tries to undermine used, independent bookstores.
      I'll send you the recipe for the soup if you like, but it's basically in note form. Not that there's really a way to mess up soup.

      Delete
    2. Then I will no longer link to Amazon in situations where I would formerly do so. Yes, I would like the recipe for that soup. Looks really good.

      Delete
  7. I always see purple potatoes at the Farmers Market in Oregon and I've always wanted to make a Peruvian stew with garlic rice. The stew looks fantastic! I was trying to replicate this amazing Peruvian dish I had in Portland: http://veganmiam.com/the-americas/united-states/oregon/portland-andina-restaurant, or you can view this photo: http://veganmiam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/andina3.jpg (you will see purple potatoes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such pretty meals! Garlic rice would be great with this soup. I still have some left...

      Delete
  8. But you know that, in your heart, despite how the soup looked at the end, that in ITS heart, it is a vibrant rainbow, and that, my friend, is, with all of these commas, quite grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comma city ova here! Yes indeed, taste the rainbow.

      Delete
  9. That looks great! I love those purple potatoes but never do anything more exciting than bake them. Have you tried the Japanese sweet potatoes? Not as gorgeous but even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! They are sooo delicious! Even sweeter than...sweet potatoes.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.