Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 11: Farmer's Scramble

I noticed a Greenmarket baking book (by Laura C. Martin) come through work the other day and, while it's not entirely vegan, some of it is, or else pretty easily veganized. It's also organized by season, which I like a lot. I may borrow it and give it a more thorough review for you some other time, but tonight I just have a dish loosely inspired by a recipe that caught my eye: Sweet Corn Tart. Fresh sweet corn and herbs are baked into a savory tofu tart with a cornmeal crust.
I didn't want to bother making a crust, and perhaps inspired by Allysia saying she uses fresh tarragon in tofu scrambles, I made a stovetop scramble instead of a pretty baked tart, but it worked out okay.

You can see I also bought carrots... I thought they'd go well with the warm colors of the corn and the tofu (to which I also added turmeric, since Martin included it in her recipe.) The corn was .50 cents an ear, and the carrots were $2 for the bunch.

Here, cooking. I crumbled the tofu in first and let it cook some water out. Added grated carrots and the corn, cut off the ear. I also threw in farmer's market scallions from a couple days ago. Spiced with turmeric, salt and pepper. I think that's all.
Threw it on top of some raw spinach to wilt.


And, um, picked up another carrot product from the market for dessert. I'll be orange by October and I'm okay with that. I'll just go as a pumpkin for Halloween.

26 comments:

  1. How clever to add carrot to the tofu scramble! Not sure i would have ever thought of it. The addition of corn sounds really good in there- and i am a big advocate for the put-hot-food-on-spinach-so-it-wilts movement. :)
    Serious looking cookie! And don't worry it takes about a pound a day of carrots for several weeks before your palms turn orangey...... Ask me why i know this. (Whatevs. It will be cold. Just wear gloves!)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookie was gigantic. I really did not need to eat it all at once but I did.

      Delete
  2. Look at the melange of colors, oooh! and a corn crust. High five me with your orange palm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I will not be lazy and make the crust. It sounded really good.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm honored to have done well by you, the Farmers market queen.

      Delete
  4. I love (some) non-vegan cookbooks, every several days I'll head to the library to pick up a new one to leaf through, it's kind of an addiction. Yay for tarragon+scramble! And for being orange. Though it's never happened to me, and I've really tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot that I see at work and my library has a shitty selection, but I really ought to borrow them more often.

      Delete
  5. That cookie holds a special place in my heart for long being one of the only healthy, vegan, snacks you could grab in the area. Interesting tidbit: if that orchard is tabling at any other market in the city (INCLUDING the holiday market on the other side of USQ), it's more $$!! Gotta keep it thrifty, ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think yr the one who turned me on to them! I've had it once before and I liked it a lot better this time. They're huge! Have you tried the other vegan offering - some cranberry crumb bar or something?
      So what yr saying is, I should stock up at USQ, eh?

      Delete
  6. I've never had carrot in a tofu scramble, but it looks pretty good here. Nothing wrong with going orange for October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never either! There's a first time for everything.

      Delete
  7. Oh man, corn is just THE BEST! Also, I love how cheap it is. We get ours for 50 cents per ear too. So much goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And really versatile. I'm loving the abundance this year.

      Delete
  8. Got to love the scramble. Something that easy to make shouldn't taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. magic! The one in Vegan Brunch is bomb.

      Delete
  9. Ooooh that scramble sounds delicious!!! I bet it had a nice hint of sweetness from the corn and carrots. I love carrots, I picked up a bunch of giant ones the other day. That cookie sounds so delicious, definitely jealous of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sweeter than I expected, dumbly. I had to add more salt than I thought I would.

      Delete
  10. Corn and tofu and cookies! I'm down. I'm diggity down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did great on this post. I want the Scramble and Cookie so bad. No Ketchup on the Scramble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookie was awesome. I want to buy it all the time. No ketchup... I don't particularly like it, ESPECIALLY not on scrambles! I also didn't think it'd go well with the vegetables.

      Delete
  12. So, so yummy! I should make a Farmer's Scramble! I am now so excited for the market this weekend, such a great idea and I'm sure serving it on greens is better than a tart, but a tart sounds pretty fantastic too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orange you glad you've got all those wonderful fresh veggies to add to the scramble? Especially the corn!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.