Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

MoFo 2013, day 10: Paradis

This is kind of a cheat but imma give myself a pass. Today was the Democratic mayoral primaries here in New York so I headed to vote after work rather than making food. It's IMPORTANT. I was also too lazy/busy yesterday to prepare a lunch, so I stopped at Paradis to pick something up for both lunch and dinner. I've written about this place a lot, as I have mixed feelings about it but one of the things I really have to give them props for is their use of sourcing locally and seasonally (so, kinda sticking with the theme!)
Not only does it mean that the food is more sustainable, but it is constantly fresh and constantly changing. The cooks at Paradis know how to pick the best produce and come up with something imaginative and new to do with it every single day. Serious props. This is something I would love to be able to do.
Lunch:

Nutty quinoa with kale, eggplant, and tomato-fennel salata. This was incredible. The eggplant was super soft, the quinoa had almonds and pistachios! in it, the tomatoes were juicy, the fennel was crisp and everything was spiced perfectly. Good God. And you have to love that all the produce is exactly what's PRIME right now at the Farmers markets.
Dinner:


Roasted sesame-soy soba noodles with cilantro-lime carrots and Chinese broccoli. This was a little less delicious than lunch, but even that makes this about 15 times tastier than anything I could make. It was slightly salty and I should have known that I can only take so much soba but the vegetables were perfect.
One of these days I am just going to take notes on what Paradis makes and then do it myself because I want all of these things all of the time. They really know what flavors work with what. JEALOUS.
Another cool thing about today's lunch was that I ate it at the St. marks in the Bowery Church yard and was visited by TWO Blue Jays!! Blue Jays are my second spirit animal (after cats duh.) FYI.


Crappy photo, but....BLUE JAY!!!! I would not have even minded being pooped on by this beautiful bird. Good way to end a food post: poop.

23 comments:

  1. i have a few blue jays in my backyard...

    the soba noodle plate looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky to have a place like Paradis conveniently nearby for those days when you can't cook. I agree that voting is important, and you certainly want to participate in the NYC mayoral primary, even if it means takeout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little too convenient.
      The primaries were pretty intense this year! Lots of political scandals as well as a lesbian who was pretty close in the polls but I'm glad she didn't win because she didn't do anything about NYC's horse carriage laws!

      Delete
  3. Approved! I get excited if I see a sparrow over here!

    And it looks like you're winning on this one - you get tasty takeaway, and you get to vote. what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like to eat lunch in the park with the birds. There are a lot of starlings around here, and yes, sparrows... Also a TON of pigeons. Even they're pretty sweet.

      Delete
  4. Yay voting! So much apathetic youth on this side of the world. And I'd be all over that broccolini, it's one of my all-time favorite veggies - and soba is always a win. High five to being cats, ha ha! I loved seeing blue jays in Austin, but I've never seen them in Canada. So purdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused about that - at first I thought it was broccoli rabe. Is that something different from Chinese broccoli and/or broccolini? Are the latter two the same? Why am I treating you like google?

      Delete
  5. I still have never been to Paradis, but your selections from there always look hella better than the tired, bland, same-all-year-round bar options from Whole Foods.

    PS I always think of blue jays as being really mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! It's Whole Foods, I mean come on. They have an entire store at their disposal.
      my mom rescued a nest of baby blue jays when we were kids and put them in her shirt to keep them warm and she said they kept biting her chest! So haha yes, I guess they can be mean. But I don't think they mean it. :)

      Delete
  6. I love the fact that this place, Paradis chooses the best produce and comes up with something new every day. It reminds me of this vegan place in Colombia (not mentioned in Happy Cow either): http://veganmiam.com/the-americas/bogota-naturalmente-restaurante-vegetariano, they make something fresh with whatever produces are available into a menu set, but only open during lunch hours. The place was packed, filled with vegans, vegetarians, health conscious people, etc. It was a pretty steady business! I was wondering why can't restaurants in America do that instead of just the same menu? I love blue jays, I saw a lot of them in my backyard in Oregon :) so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That place in Columbia sounds great. It keeps everyone on their toes like that.
      Rotating menus mean people want to come back to see what's new!

      Delete
  7. I hope your election went better than our horrific sh*tstorm of a federal election. Disgust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see what happened in Australia, but I'm pretty pleased with the results here. They still have to count the paper ballots but it looks like the guy I voted for won the primary. Now to defeat the Republican nominee.

      Delete
    2. I heard someone phrase what happened to our country, for Americans, as "we just voted in our Mitt Romney". Misogynistic, anti-women's rights, anti-refugee, racist, climate change skeptic... I don't know a single person who voted for him, and yet he won in a landslide. I'm sickened by my country.

      Delete
  8. Right on for voting!! Looks like you rewarded yourself with a perfect lunch :) That eggplant looks incredible!! I love soft, tender eggplant. I should make some soon! The greens and broccoli look great too! I should check this place out, it always looks very yummy. Very cool shot of the blue jays, what a great find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD make some eggplant! I wonder how they do it. Probably roast it forever!

      Delete
  9. Hope you didn't vote for Weiner (although I will miss that guy's antics).

    We may not have Paradis, but we have many Blue Jays. I throw out Peanuts in the shell for them and they swoop down and pick up/put down each Peanut (totally taking their time) till they find the Peanut they want and then fly away with it. It's a really fun thing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEELLLLL no. Can't believe we actually had both Weiner and Spitzer on the ballots.
      That's so cute about the Jays! I ought to bring some next time I'm in the park

      Delete
  10. I really can't be bothered the latter half of this week when it comes to lunches! I wish we had Paradis here, it looks so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, those were some intense primaries this year! I voted too :)
    Paradis is um, superawesome. And their food so totally counts as part of your mofo theme- because its your blog so you get to make these decisions! I suspect restaurant veggies benefit from liberal use of salt and oil combined with superhot stoves so they can cook them quickly.
    Lunch and dinner both look really delicious!!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. St. Marks Church, right on! and a spirit animal too. They visit us more when we eat clean. Beautiful locally sourced food. I just have to ask was the eggplant bitter at all? I am an eggplant lover sometimes I don't like it salads.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.