Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2013

Summer Lovin

Today was the coolest day we've had in a while (at 79 degrees...) and I'm so excited for the weather to start turning! However, I still have a lot of leftover photos from the summer to share that highlight the bounty of the season. Looking back:

                                                                     Nectarine!
                                               GF toast with Earth Balance and apricot jam
Courtesy of G, vegan hot dog (Tofu Pup) with ketchup, mustard, and a pickle. You have to do it at LEAST once a summer.
I sprouted lentils! Raw protein! Lookit them cute lil tails. Raw lentil salad with sprouts, yellow squash, carrots, chard, capers, and black pepper.
          Light coconut milk, 1 frozen banana, frozen mango, protein powder, spinach smoothie.
Baseball game with mom. She got a veggie dog, I got a pretzel and YES those are tomato slices on the side. I had to get some vegetables into the meal!! Also: great seats.

                                   New juice from Whole Foods. So nice I bought it twice.
                             more lentil sprouts. Here, in a salad with avocado and mushrooms.
                                                      blackberry season, hell f-in yeah.
                                                      Tamari almonds. Too easy to eat.
                                             Pepitas and raisins. Also very easy to eat.
Sometimes summer means you are out all night and wake up 10 minutes after you were supposed to leave for work. Hence, buying bars for breakfast with false promises of energy. But, hell, they taste good.
                                             Same rushed morning thingy, less money.
mostly raw tacos! These are warmed corn tortillas, but filled with sprouted lentils, chopped mushroom, yellow squash, tomato, onion and avocado. Topped with salsa verde.
Smoothie bowl: two frozen bananas blended with light coconut milk, protein powder, and spirulina. With blackberries.
                                                                  LIKE I SAID
                                           Summer walks in forests bring forth treasures.
                            Sometimes not leaving yr building because it is too hot happens too.
At least I am grateful I do not have long, black fur covering my entire body. Though, come Winter....

18 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes to berries, yes to being out all night, yes to sunshine, yes to hot dogs and pickles, no to winter, yes to life and living it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. You get me. Exactly what I was thinking. x

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic ode to summer. I feel like a totally missed out on the season staying inside all hydrated and enjoying the A/C. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late to sprint around the block to work up a sweat, eat a bunch of tofu pups, and guzzle beer while watching baseball. You get the Orioles, maybe?

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an amazing post! So many fun things :) Soft pretzels were always my favorite snack to get at the Mets games (although mine were all consumed at Shea Stadium) and hooray for blackberry season!! Did you ever get your blackberry tattoo? Very cool that you sprouted your own lentils too! Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PretZels are classic ballgame fare. & I did get it.

      Delete
  4. No! No! I need more summer! I haven't even had the obligatory summer hot dog yet! At least I don't live in Saskatchewan anymore, so I might actually get a real fall, not just a month of fall followed by five months of winter, ha ha. Also I want those tacos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, it's heating back up here so maybe I jumped the gun. Do you have Labor Day up in Canada? That's kind of the unofficial end of summer for us here; that's monday.
      I have high hopes for you getting some fall.

      Delete
  5. Yay for the coolest days! Last week in Spain, it was about 35-40 C, but right now it went down to 25 C. Yum I love Earth Balance and a bit of jam together, glad to see that I'm not the only person doing this! I love the EvolutionFresh, it's also a brand from Starbucks, I used it for a 1-2 day juice cleanse. Yummy dishes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EB and jam is total comfort breakfast perfection. Didn't know Evolution was a Starbucks brand - I kinda wish it weren't, but they are tasty juices. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  6. I don't want summer to be over — though you East Coast people have endured so much heat I can see why you'd be looking forward to a little chill. Not me, though. I don't want to say goodby to sunshine and warm weather — or fresh peaches and nectarines and berries. Nope. I think I'll go eat a nectarine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, there were only a couple really bad weeks but my apartment is SO HOT and NYC has been SO HUmID I'm over it. I really thrive in fall anyway. You enjoy yr nectarines!

      Delete
  7. I can't deal with the awesomeness that is this post! Delicious meals! Baseball game with mom (look at that pretzel!), nature, Haxan! Oh my!

    I am ready for fall, and would very much like some cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it :) It's similarly nice to see the Rockies and Remy on yr posts.

      Delete
  8. The salt on that glorious pretzel is making my lips pucker with jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ALmOST too much salt. But it saved my mom's veggie dog.

      Delete
  9. There's so much deliciousness in this post I almost can't handle it. I need a giant pretzel and you reminded me to bring some Tofu Pup's back from the US this time, I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.