Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mighty Miso

It's been a while since I've made a miso soup but I was sorely lacking in groceries the other day and a friend was feeling ill so I was inspired to make a simple and healthifying soup.
It's been a while since I've done a raw cleanse, but I'm still of the mind that the less cooking one does to a food, the more unadulterated the nutrients.



                  makes 2 large servings
1/2 onion
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into coins
1/3 cup peas (I didn't have any other protein and they kind of look like edamame)
large pinch of seaweed: wakame, hijiki, arame, etc.
1/2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled + sliced
About 2 tsp pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp anise seeds

1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I used fresh button mushrooms, rather than dried shiitake like I usually do, mostly because I wanted to use them up)

2 TBS mellow miso paste

Boil water. Prepare vegetables and place in a large container. Pour enough boiling water over vegetables (minus mushrooms), seaweed and spices to cover. For me this was about 2 cups of water. Let sit about 5 minutes and add mushrooms. Let sit 5 more minutes.
In the meantime, prepare miso paste with enough water to blend into a thick liquid. Pour vegetables with broth equally into two bowls and divide miso liquid between them.

Obviously this is totally easy to adapt to taste, or to use up what you have. I wish I'd had spinach or broccoli to add. Edamame would have been more traditional than peas. Some people don't like anise. Some people need less spice. Noodles would have made this a more filling meal. But my only goal with this soup was to make my friend feel better, thus - heavy on the healing spices and as veggie heavy as it could be... without having to go shopping. I would do anything for a friend, but I won't do that.


22 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have been miso-ing daily, it's good stuff. And yours looks so exciting! What with the peas and everything! Yes, peas are exciting. Sending your friend healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you put in yr everyday miso? It's supposed to be really good for you - I ought to do that too. And yes, peas ARE exciting.

      Delete
  2. That does look beautiful. Wish you'd been near when I came down with a nasty cold two days before plane travel the other week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeck, plane travel is the worst, and so germy. Hope you are over the cold by now.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your miso looks so delicious! I love that you put tons of veggies in it. It makes the soup so hearty and definitely increases its healing power :) I hope your friend gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crammed full of a lot of seaweed, mostly :) I hope YOU get well soon.

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking about miso soup! This sounds like a great way to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cooling down here. It will be more regular miso soup season soon :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like just my kind of miso soup. I used to be a purist, accepting only tofu and seaweed in the mix, but now I can't get enough of those goodies in each spoonful. Mushrooms are the best, no matter what sort, since they add such depth of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soft tofu in miso, but there's really no bad way to make the soup. mushrooms are really a must for me.

      Delete
  6. There's just nothing like a bowl of miso soup stocked with tons of fresh veggies when you're feeling down. Kind of you to offer some to your friend, who probably felt much better after consuming it. (Hahaha about the shopping limits to your friendship!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when one is ill almost any food gift is amazing and much appreciated. Hopefully this helped!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with the colors too :)

      Delete
  8. I have been craving miso lately. I am so glad you shared this post! There is nothing like homemade miso. I love adding all the veggies I have on hand. Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part about soup - just throw any old thing in there and it RULES. I hope you enjoy some miso soon.

      Delete
  9. You missed your big opportunity to title the post 'Miso Horny!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit!! Can you be my copy editor? Or teach me to look for the underlying dirty quips?

      Delete
  10. That looks superb! Mine never comes out as good as yours. I'm a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I maintain that miso can only make the world better. I'm dispatching it to the MIddle East - i'm pretty sure it can fix that too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.