Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

FOOD FRIENDZ

As I sit here writing this post and looking out the window instead of leaving my house and interacting with other humans (oh hey, crippling social anxiety!) it is sometimes hard to imagine that I could ever possibly have some very, very lovely (and kind and talented) people in my life.
Without the prospect of meeting my friend Tara at this weekend's Vegan Pop-Up Shop (at Pine Box Rock Shop, previously mentioned all-vegan bar), I probably would not have left my apartment at all and been way too up in my roommate's steez. But to the Pop-Up Shop I hie'd:

            Outdoor vendors! She grows! Also note the Cinnamon Snail truck in the background!
I took a couple photos inside the bar but, honestly, I was so awkward and terrified of being in public that my hands couldn't stop shaking enough to get a clear shot.
A "Holiday in Cambodia" Bloody Mary helped calm me down. This version has soy sauce in it, and is garnished with pickled mango, pickled ginger, an olive, and lime. Liquid courage.


A couple of sips in, I made my way over to the Gone Pie stand (luckily right by the door so I could flee if necessary.) But I did not need to flee: Barbara was very nice and as usual had an array of treats worth...not fleeing.
                          Peanut butter caramel cup. This thing is gigantoid. And gooooooood.
Caramashew cup. This thing was so pretty. Guess I should have bought the chocolate as I was leaving, and not stashed it in my warm bag for later. Still tasted bomb though. Yeeeah.

I thrust a copy of my new Maramalade Umlaut zine at Barbara and ran away. She dealt with the situation with much grace. So thank you and sorry!! (She later found me out: "You're FoodFeud!" "Yeah, sorry, I don't know how to introduce myself to people.")
A couple more sips of Bloody Mary later and I summoned the strength to say hello to a very familiar dog and her companion.
THEN TARA GOT THERE AND EVERYTHING WAS CALM AND BETTER YAY. Unfortunately, I had to cut the date short as I had a new friend (yes, count them - that's TWO FRIENDS I HAVE!!!! Jealous?) coming over to cook.
Antonia and I were, like, awkwardly friend-courting for a while: I give her zines and bake vegan blondies, she gave me gloves she knitted and an awesome magic stone, it works. I don't know what all this rambling is about except to tell you I am very weird and don't know how to talk or relate to people, especially females, but female friendship and community is SO important. It also takes A LOT for me to be comfortable enough around people to eat in front of them (oh hey, leftover teenage eating disorder!) but I sense Antonia's cosmic coolness. Anywhooooo, crushtime over, I'll cut to the chase.
"Umm...so...do you like tacos?"
"Who doesn't like tacos?"
"That's what I was hoping you'd say!!" *cue starry eyed heart explosions*
We made black bean, zucchini, and olive tacos from Appetite for Reduction, splitting the prep.

                                                                     Unadorned.
                           With scallion, avocado, tomatoes, and lime. I'd say it was a success.
Moral of the story, making friends is scary and hard but worth it. Also food helps. There is a potential THIRD friend food date in the near future (Stella, my Groupon awaits you.)
And um yeah, grrrls rule.

35 comments:

  1. YAY. this makes me real happy. i gotta say, the tacos were so damn tasty, and the leftovers were delicious the next morning too--> breakfast tacos! lets go to that vegan drinkspot and toast to new buds.
    see u soon !!!
    antonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. Nice job cutting the zucchini. It was all very uniform.
      Toast, yes!

      Delete
  2. This is agonizing. I WANT ALL OF IT (even the Bloody Mary!) You are so lucky to have access to these talented artisans. At least GonePie.Com actually ships to us folks in the boonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bloody mary was the best part. Just let mom watch the animals for a couple days and hustle up here.

      Delete
  3. Oh I want to visit that bake shop so badly now! Thank you for sharing (and for ruining dinner...all I want is dessert now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life's too short...eat dessert first. That's what they say, right?

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a great experience! I can be hesitant and shy (and anxious) when making new friends (funny how I can turn that part of me off in the classroom, but I guess I'm not trying to make small talk or be their friend). And you got such deliciousness out of it all! Bloody Mary! Chocolatey treats! Tacos! Why haven't I made those from AFR?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can turn those parts of me off sometimes too, but it's the first steps of getting out there that are the hardest.
      make the tacos! They good.

      Delete
  5. Friends are awesome! YES TO LADIES. Yay! Also, I would totally be all over one of those bloody marys right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that's an exciting bloody mary. Still probably wouldn't order one, but I'd be game to try a sip. Also ermigerd, that peanut butter caramel cup. Also, making friends IS scary and hard. I just moved across the country and we know two people here. One is Michael's cousin, and the other is a dude who hitchhiked across Canada and stayed at our place back in Saskatchewan (random but awesome), but he's moving to South Korea. My social life is mainly confined to Skype these days...but I'll try to find a vegan potluck to go to. Or something. Still not sure of a strategy. But ramble aside, I'm glad your friending has been successful as of late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you visit New York, another friend will be in store!
      I am so proud/in awe of you just moving clear across the country like that! Now THAT takes guts - not leaving the apartment to drink, haha.

      Delete
  7. I'm so proud of you that you got out despite your anxiety! As you know I'm in a pretty similar boat and I know how painful it can be to get out that door. It seems like you were able to enjoy some pretty amazing food and beverages as well as the company of some really lovely people! I want to cram that pb caramel cup in my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one day you too can get out that door... I mean, caramel cups await :)

      Delete
  8. Well, it's only fair that I now admit that I was consciously trying to prevent myself from being totally loud and over-excited or otherwise make it completely obvious that I was thrilled to finally meet you. I was, and I apologize retroactively if my efforts failed and I was scary. Perhaps one day we can be RLF; Barbara and I would love to grab lunch with you!

    Also, I totally love your glasses.

    PS I would never be daring enough to order that Mary; I can't deviate from the "regular" one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was thrilling! RLF for sure...! Any time. I also wanted to pet 89 but I thought it would be too forward, haha. It's a good thing the Pop Up Shop is only once a month; anything more would be toooooo overwhelming.
      I was looking back at yr old pop up shop posts - my friend ordered that Doornail too. It looked really good.

      Delete
    2. Oh, the Doornail is a classic; so too the MoCo cooler. I love that no matter how busy they are, the folks at Pine Box always make each drink as pretty and delicious as it would be if you were the only one there.

      89 was in rare form that day; she may have nibbled someone...twice. We're still in training! And I mean that literally; I am mostly to blame for any bad behavior, but I'm totally uncoordinated and lose track on the consistent sounds and movements I'm supposed to be making to avoid such things.

      I just invited you to Saturday's Integral Yoga event. No pressure!

      PS I LOVED Marmalade Umlaut! I'm so inspired by it's creativity and tangibility (vs. a blog); thank you so much.

      Delete
    3. Was the cooler one of their frozen drinks? I really wanted to get one of those; someone next to me had one and it looked really refreshing but I, uh, had to make it back home!
      I work on Saturdays usually, but I'll try to walk over on my break. Love Integral.
      And thank you, haha! It's kind of a hot mess of a zine...I try to keep that off the more public blog :/

      Delete
  9. the pop up shop sounds like such a cool event! the food & drink sounds/looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for friends! I totally feel you about having no way to not awkwardly try to socialize--I suck at it. You did some major winning this weekend. Also, can you send me everything you ate at that pop-up stat?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was terrible and did not eat hardly anything!! I just bought the candy! Haha. But I am pretty sure you can make yrself a pretty killer Bloody mary.

      Delete
  11. This is all completely and utterly magnificent and I am over-the-moon happy for you. You did the only thing that helps defeat anxiety (in all its forms): staring it in the face, acknowledging that it's trying to squish you, then going right ahead and doing what makes you anxious anyway, because that's the only way to make the suffocatingpounding a little less strong next time. YOU DA BOMB. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely. Next time you're in NY let's be not weird friends. I oughta take a tip from you and jump into the unknown with glee, if a little trepidation.

      Delete
    2. I would really, really love that. We can even send each other texts the night before saying "All will be well! We both don't bite! All will be well!"

      P.S. Thank you for your lovely words. Means a lot. The trepidation is what lets you know that you're really doing something worthwhile, and it makes the joy SO joyful. x

      Delete
  12. Sigh, I know that anxiety well... And I didn't even make it to the pop-up in the first place. So bummed I missed out, since it sounds like such a good time. Besides that, bloody Mary's are the only alcoholic drinks I actually enjoy, and that one looks seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't we all just have shirts at this point that say "I'm awkward: That's why I blog" ? It happens every month! Come sometime and let's not be scared!

      Delete
    2. I would totally wear that shirt.

      Delete
  13. I really would love to try this Bloody Mary, it sounds so good including the pickled mango & ginger and soy sauce. Oh my gosh, the peanut butter caramel cup looks like my ideal dessert especially the caramashew cup. I need both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea the pickled ginger was awesome. A chocolate cocktail would have been the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  14. I think you did a pretty good job kicking the social anxiety up the wazoo - long may it continue. Ditto on the caramel cups, though I predict they'd have a short lifespan once I got my grubby mitts on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke!
      Once I remembered out of the booze induced haze that I did indeed buy chocolate, I ate them both in maybe like 15 minutes flat.

      Delete
  15. I really enjoyed your post (except I couldn't drink the bloody Mary or eat the peanut-butter caramel cup) and I think you hit an issue that a lot of us can relate to. Being social isn't so easy — so many worries. Food seems like a good way to break the ice, if you can get up the courage to issue an invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maude-

    You know what my t-shirt says? "I'm awkward: That's why I'm scared of people I think are cool." I see you multiple times a day; I've been reading this blog (which I revere, in a liteweight co-dependent way) for MONTHS; G laughs at me for being too afraid to talk to you; I sat two chairs away from you JUST last Saturday, and I STILL couldn't muster up the courage to talk.

    Can we kick the t-shirts and get the eff over this hump? It would be an absolute, sincere privilege to hang out with you. If you can't already tell, I think you're...you know...AMAZING. Let's put that groupon to WORK!

    See you in the stalls (it's more likely than the stacks),
    Stella

    P.s. I've never commented on a blog before! This is like getting a tech stamp in my passport!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.