Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

FOOD FRIENDZ pt 2: Lunch Date!!!

If food brings friends together, Groupon brings friends together in fancy places.
Stella is another super awesome friend from work that I am always too stressed or scared or rushed at work to talk to which is a shame because she mad cool. G works more closely with her and is always telling me how much we have in common (like being totally fantastic and so, so pretty and like really smart and junk and liking Batman comics and rap and reading food blogs, etc.) so hopefully this is only the beginning of a wonderful friendship.
G also played a part in getting us together because that weirdo doesn't like Quintessence. I've been there enough at this point to say I really like Quintessence and thankfully Groupon has offers for them fairly regularly. So I bought one recently and took someone who would appreciate the meal. Not to mention it was another hot as Hades summer afternoon so raw food sounded perfect.
Stella is from Oakland and as soon as we sat down, said "I feel like I've been transported back to California." It IS really sweet inside the restaurant, maybe next time I'll get some interior pictures.
The server brought out complimentary shots of some refreshing apple and green juice with our menus to start. Since the Groupon was worth $40 worth of food, perhaps influenced by the freebie, I got a small green juice with a shot of ginger to go along with my meal:


Stella got the Gomen-ae appetizer: chilled kelp noodles with spinach in a sesame sauce. I think she liked it. I've never had kelp noodles but Stella is more adventurous than I am, so she apparently makes them a lot. Sometime I'll try em.

PHOTO CREDIT STELLA'S OWN HANDS.
I am totally boring and got a salad. But a delicious salad! This was Quintessence's version of a Caesar salad.


Romaine, cucumber, tomato, and avocado in a pignoli-miso dressing. With olives and "caramelized" dehydrated onion. It was delicious. The onions were the best part - kinda crunchy and very um...pungent.
The only thing I didn't like about this trip to Quintessence was that the service was kind of slow. It's hard to tell how much time we can take on lunch when we have to get back to work, but G and I have come before on a lunch hour and made it back in time. Whatever, time flies when you're having fun. Anyway, it was a fun lunch out and I'm so happy to have another dining partner who I can have a good conversation with. Thank you, thank you Stella. Also we have to-be-determined plans to cook together! I love it! 
This lunch was meant to be part of a raw cleanse week but I already screwed that up. However, even off of one meal, I walked back to work feeling like I was floating. I was energized and happy and nourished and please let this be a reminder to me to eat better (and go back to Quintessence) (and have good friends.)

22 comments:

  1. The photo of the juice is stunning! I always go for a Mexican-inspired dish at Quintessence, but I think you made the right call. A few weeks ago when it was still so hot out I ordered a Caesar salad at V-Note for goodness sake. On a normal weather day I would have order the BBQ platter for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way to take a bad picture of juice. I am on a mission to taste all the vegan Caesars I can.

      Delete
    2. I don't think there is anything better to me than vegan caesar.

      Delete
  2. Cool! Hope this is the start of a beautiful friendship!

    That juice is such a pretty colour. I want that on my walls or something. Failing that in my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make the juice and splash it all over yr walls and THEN lick them!

      Delete
  3. ah, quintessence! love that place. your salad looks incredible! gotta love groupon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww how fun!! Stella sounds awesome, I'm sure your friendship will blossom :) Looks like a perfect lunch too. I've always eyed the caesar salad on their menu and now that it has good reviews I'll definitely have to order it when I eventually get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella is bomb! I hope you make it to Quintessence soon.

      Delete
  5. Quintessence is one place that I am not jealous of my NYC vegan brethren eating at...eat there all you want.

    So how often do people yell at her: " STELLA!!!!!"? Cool name. I once had a chicken named Stella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say I see her 5 days a week and I want to scream it every time I see her, so I'm pretty sure it never gets old for other people. I've never had a chicken but I have had yet another friend named Stella. It's a really pretty nice. Cat-worthy, even.

      Delete
  6. To food, friends and fun! I think I need a shot of the green juice right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely perk you up! I wish I had another.

      Delete
  7. Haha, I like your writing! "Mad Cool..." I wish I can use GroupOn here, I don't know if that exists here in Spain. Man, that green juice with a shot of ginger sounds so delicious including the Gomen-ae appetizer. I love kelp noodles! Nah, you aren't boring, I would have orered the Caesar salad, too! I love the salty and cheezy tones from the salad! Glad that it was delicious! Simple dishes can be delicious! Aw, sorry to hear that it wasn't part of the raw cleanse week, but the salad looks yummy and fresh, though, plus nice company with Stella ;) which is the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are enough benefits to being in Spain that you don't need Groupon! The kelp noodles were pretty interesting. Gotta try them soon.

      Delete
  8. Even with the slow service, it sounds like great company and great eats! How cool that they brought over complimentary juice shots! One day, I also will try kelp noodles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they are kind of crunchy. I feel like I would like them better than shirataki noodles, which are weirdly watery and slippery, no? Don't know why I'm so scared of buying kelp noodles.

      Delete
  9. Yay for a budding friendship! I think she must be especially cool, and therefore qualified to be your friend, because she took the photo! Not everyone takes pics of their food and puts in online, so if she's accepting of that, that's just another good point in her favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! Props to Stella! Sometimes I'm weird about taking food photos in front of people, including this time but she totally embraced it.

      Delete
  10. This looks like a great place and I like the look of the noodle dish as well as your Caesar salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE quintessence!! Especially with a groupon! The Peters Pot cold soup is a must for me, otherwise i try to change it up some, but their chia pudding dessert is un-real. It's made with cashew cream and magic and i have yet to recreate it properly......

    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.