Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

BS BD

Today's is G's mother's birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Apparently she'd been very interested in going to Beyond Sushi since seeing on it the blog and hearing the raves from G and I every time we went. But she was at G's brother's house babysitting when we celebrated on Sunday. G, his dad, and I were in the city and brought Beyond Sushi to her instead.
They offer a catering menu for bulk orders, so we got that: Ten pieces of all of their regular eight offered rolls. Here in its excitedly blurry glory:


It came with tiny bottles of sauces and accompanying cards so we knew which went on top of which roll. It worked out that all seven of us got one of each roll, plus a fair amount of extras for whoever wanted.
On my plate:

This was cool because I tend to order the same rolls every time we go; here I had a chance to sample some that I might not want to buy a whole roll of, but were surprising favorites. From the top right next to the ginger going clockwise: Haricat, Mighty Mushroom, La Fiesta, Crunch n' Munch, Sweet Tree, Green Machine, and in the middle, the Spicy Mang. Missing from the photo was a Pickle Me, to be remedied as soon as I noticed. I still love the Spicy Mang but new favorites were the Sweet Tree (Six-grain rice, avocado, sweet potato, alfalfa sprouts with toasted cayenne sauce) and the Haricat (Black rice, grilled haricot vert, carrot, mango with sweet soy mirin sauce.) G especially liked the Crunch n' Munch, which has tofu and kiwi in it! Pretty sure Gerri was quite pleased and surprised.
After adjourning and retiring, though perhaps in a different order, we divvied up a vegan chocolate cake that we picked up at Whole Foods. You're probably aware of how amazing the food that Andy and Maritza make is, as they do an incredible job each time everyone gets together, but they were at a wedding in the afternoon and didn't have time to bake. Thus, Whole Foods cake.

All black everything. Chocolate icing, chocolate cake, chocolate chips inside. It was a little on the dry side but nothing can really compare to a Maritza cake, so.

Not bad, though. Aided and abetted by some vegan whipped cream. And that was that. I hope it was a happy birthday, Gerri.

20 comments:

  1. Holy smokes! That is some sushi. I'd take seconds of that over the cake any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. making my own cakes from now on. Or at least letting others take care of that.

      Delete
  2. This puts all other birthday celebrations to shame. I wonder if they deliver. (Just kidding.) Maybe I should celebrate my next birthday in New York. Happy birthday, Gerri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.. you might be outside of the delivery zone ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Gerri!

    Ordinarily, I'd say something snarky about three people delivering one platter of Sushi. But, in this case, I can see why it took three people to deliver that.

    The Cake looks incredible too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I dunno. Subways or something.

      Delete
  4. That looks so good! What a beautiful platter! I've only had cake once from Whole Foods, but it was decent. It sounds like an enjoyable birthday for Gerri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was between that and mini cupcakes, maybe they'd have been better.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to Gerri! What a gorgeous and perfect birthday meal! The rolls all sound and look delicious! I agree with Ingrid, WFs cake is pretty decent. The chocolate chips are a welcome addition ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate chips were the saving grace.

      Delete
  6. Sushi platter birthday! Dang, what a good dinner for G's mom--rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to "Gerri!" and who is Gerri? Yum, I love sushi! I had sushi platter on my birthday, too :) it's always nice to have a light and refreshing meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my partner's mom! Sushi is sooo great.

      Delete
  8. The sushi is absolutely stunning! I wish we had a sushi restaurant around here with such a wide variety of vegan offerings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really lucky to have something like this here. The whole shop is 100% vegan.

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a great birthday meal!! Is G's mom vegan? If not yet i'm sure she is ready to convert now :)
    I'll have to try that sweet potato roll next time i go
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G's entire family is at least vegetarian (his older bro and sister in law AND the new baby are vegan) except for his father. A very compassionate family :)
      DEFINITELY try the sweet potato roll! Their rolls of the month also are always incredible.

      Delete
  10. If I say that it's my birthday will you wire me sushi and cake as well? You can get that stuff down an internet pipe right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I find this magical pipe I certainly will.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.