Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer So Far

We're only eleven days in, but the heat has been so intense that the days lag and stick to you and yuck yuck yucko. Here's some stuff that's been cooling me off lately.

                           LOVED this book. Especially good with a cold beer on a fire escape.

Bedford avenue in Brooklyn. We don't have lawns, so we take what we can get - in this case, sod on the street.

                                                                 Blackberry season!!
Spinach, 1 frozen banana, frozen strawberries, blackberries, raw protein powder, lemon juice, water, almond milk, cacao nibs. Coconut flake garnish. I love that you can kind of see the purple of the blackberries creeping into the coconut.

        I let Paradis cook for me. Curried quinoa with roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes.

Tofu and CSA sugar snap peas in hot chili sauce and ginger juice. Still going strong on the ginger juice, Shen. Thanks again and also for the cookie:

       The goldenberry chunks were really fun. They're like...sour raisins. In a good way.
Additional Shenfluence: PPK banana bread. I made the marbled version, though, because it had chocolate in it, and I didn't want to buy chocolate chips for the plain banana bread but also, there are only 2 Tbs. of oil in this version. It's only slightly more work than the original.


I like this juice because it's vegetables AND fruits, so it's not super sweet. Had it for breakfast over two mornings.
And I think we're all caught up.

22 comments:

  1. I come off really well in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Greg was like "hm, maybe Shen is a nice person after all?"

      Delete
    2. We're still trying to determine that down here.

      Delete
  2. You are right, the summer is young and it is already brutal. I am dreading August lol! Love the sod in the street and hooray for blackberry season! Does that mean someone is getting a new tattoo soon? ;) I want to cram that whole banana bread in my face immediately ha! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the sod in the street is pretty awesome! A lot of the meals look amazing, but that banana bread. . . it looks so decadent! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banana bread ruled. I did manage to cut it into thirds and share some. It was difficult, though.

      Delete
  4. yeah i was like "hm, maybe shen is a nice person after all?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is there sod in the street!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was, like, croquet day?? There were stands in the street, I was very confused.

      Delete
  6. Hah, sod on the street! Best idea for an urban area ever! And, ok, now I know of two bloggers endorsing Swamplandia--definitely need to add it to my list. I've been tearing through fiction lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth between fiction, poetry, and nonfiction but Swamplandia was wonderful. I'm a big fan of the author's short stories, too.

      Delete
    2. I rotate my fiction, non fiction, and poetry... swamplandia was the best book recently (besides poetry) and I also like the author's short stories!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, heart blackberries. And goldenberries! They're seriously like candy. Enjoy the vitamin D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially dried. Dried mulberries were my ish for a while.

      Delete
  8. Sod on the street? I know you're not kidding because there's a photo. Brooklyn really is in another Universe, isn't it? :)

    I've been meaning to make a GF version of the marbled banana bread but we never can seem to leave enough ripe bananas in the bowl. One of these days I'm going to buy way too many bananas and they get to it. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah. Williamsburg especially is really out there. It's entertaining at times.
      It was hard not to eat all the bananas, but when there's a sweet bread at the end of the tunnel...you can do it.

      Delete
  9. Earn Money Launch a New Earning System on Facebook, the best Social Media Website where you can share some fun and earn with us, Share some pictures on Facebook and earn on every pictures you post or share. Unlimited Facebook Wall Sharing and Unlimited Earning.
    Earn with Making Facebook Ids, Make Unlimited Facebook Ids and Get 10$ on Every FB Id.
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I were you, living near Bedford, every morning would see me at Mast Brothers, stealing samples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking bread right there. Goldenberries are actually a real thing? Turns out every day's a school day over here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sod on the street - that's funny. What's not funny is that banana bread; that's serious.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.