Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Extras, Extras

I don't know how I always end up falling so far behind on posting food I eat, but here is more.

I didn't have any hot dogs on July 4th, but I had hot dog buns. Filled with mashed avocado, homemade pickled jalapenos, and zucchini slices. Random as hell but I am short on groceries. Green is the new color of independence, dontcha know.

Collard salad with raw broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and apple. Dressed with coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.

Leftovers of the above collard salad, to which I added spinach noodles from the Whole Foods cold bar.
Red leaf lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber, sunflower seeds with Braggs, nooch, and black pepper.

                                         Raw broccoli, tofu in sriracha and ginger juice.

                       Fattoush salad, 3 falafels, tabbouleh and hummus from Whole Foods.

                                 Spinach, tomato, avocado, tofu with sriracha and Braggs.

Then it got really hot and I just wanted liquids for meals. Kind of a virgin Bloody Mary. The empty spot in the back is where the vodka bottle would have been.

                               Apple cider vinegar, orange juice, orange flavored seltzer.

    Cherry Brandy, lemon juice, seltzer, and a sprig of fresh rosemary from my folks' garden.

An incredible smoothie! 2 cups of spinach, 1 frozen banana, about 6 oz. coconut milk, 1 scoop of raw protein powder, about 5 cubes of frozen mango, and a splash of orange juice. This was one of the more decadent smoothies I've made - it was so smooth and thick! It was also on the sweeter side. Feel free to swap in 3 oz of water instead of all coconut milk, or do all water. It would have been great with some lemon juice in it too. It's probably kind of high in fat because of the coconut milk, but considering that with the heat I'm eating one or two meals a day, I'm okay with that.

 It looks like the creature from the Black Lagoon is going to bubble to the surface any minute now....

29 comments:

  1. You are winning at life right now, my friend. Winning at food life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What! You ate a pineapple sandwich!!

      Delete
  2. All vegetables all the time! I could really go for that bloody mary right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it so hot where you are? This is an ridiculous question, but do you not have air conditioning?

    All around, people looking half dead
    Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a ridiculous question? A more ridiculous question is why are my shorts in the freezer? There's a long answer to that.
      No I don't have air conditioning. I just bought a fan yesterday and already am afraid of the electric bill. I also live on the top floor of a building and the roof makes it hot hot hot.
      Air conditioning, she says...

      Delete
    2. No ac thru this heat?? You crazy. Fyi coned does this thing where they average out your bill over the year so you're never hit with an obscene one. In the meantime freezer shorts sound uh.may.zing.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. You don't have AC???? Are there any homeless shelters you can go to till September????

      Delete
  4. You've got to be the healthiest girl alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really know your way around a salad. When I see the pics I think I should eat more salads. With more ingredients. I still can't get with green smoothies, though, especially when they are green. I like green juice, and kale in a smoothie when it still appears in a fruit color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok guys, I had my first green smoothie this morning. I didn't die. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. How else would I have gotten 2 bananas, cinnamon, flax, almond milk, and all that spinach in me at 7am? Still, I'm on the fence.

      Delete
    2. Andrea, you eat well enough the rest of the time I think! Green juice is really delicious. I should probably drink more of that.
      Abby, I'm very proud of you.

      Delete
  6. Your salads are seriously enviable. They all look so delicious and I'm especially loving the mediterranean themed meal from WFs. Can't go wrong with avocado either :) Great looking drinks, the acv, oj and seltzer drink sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mediterranean mix is always a favorite. Their hummus is so creamy!

      Delete
  7. I love your hot dog bun assembly, ha ha. I am both excited and nervous to be living by a whole foods soon - it is an expensive but awesome store to have within walking distance. Also, decadent smoothies ftw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking distance to a WF would be very dangerous for me. When is the move??

      Delete
  8. I think the hot dog bun & fillings are perfect. Green should be the new color for the 4th. I like it!

    You ate some really great summery meals. So many colors & veggies! Love the thick green smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looooved the smoothie, seriously! If you are a fan of them, I'd really recommend it.

      Delete
  9. Your salads are so inspiring! And the whole foods box looks soooo good- not sure i've seen fatoosh salad there before and now i want some!
    I feel like all i make lately are juices and smoothies..... Love the rosemary cocktail pic and funny narration comments.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which WF do you usually go to? Uptown? It's funny how all the options are different. The cocktail could have been better but I love the flavor of rosemary.

      Delete
  10. So many delicious and fresh meals! I want to eat them all! The collard salad, both original and re-purposed with noodles look phenomenal. And those are some seriously great chunks of tomato and avocado in the last salad!

    I agree, heat makes me not want to chew. Or move at all. Ha ha! I didn't have ac for most of my life, and now that I do - I want everyone to have it. I'll box some cold air and send it to you - Harry Potter style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collards are my new kale. I haven't bought kale in a long time - these just seem heartier.
      Haha yea, going heavy on the avo lately.
      I would like anything you can send Harry Potter style. I wish I knew a spell to create a cold bubble around me.

      Delete
  11. The fact that the slurry looks like a toxic slurry of nuclear waste makes me want it even more. I'd top with a half-immersed lego figure for full-on peril diorama.

    Your bloody mary looks broken though. Ever tried it with gin instead? Also tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah yeah! It's always toxic radiation that will turn you into a superhero, right?
      GIN in a bloody mary sounds awesome! I love gin. my friend has also recommended making it with tequila, which sounds a little more dangerous...

      Delete
  12. I mean, seriously; it never fails. I visit your blog, and I become determined to eat wiser. I mean, even when I think I'm eating okay, I look at your food, and I realize I have fallen so short. This move has created a lot of frozen dinner purchases. I hope to fill the fridge with more salad fixings soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always disappointed by frozen dinners but maybe the move has located you to a place where wonderful food of all kinds abounds.
      I hope to see yr fridge pictures soon!

      Delete
  13. What delicious eats! I like that - green IS the new color of independence:) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Independence frommmm ummmmmm....fiber depletion.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.