Search This Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bla Bla Bland

Been busy this week and kinda stressed out, blah blah who cares, haven't been eating as well or as much as I should as evidenced by these few photos and dearth of vegetables:
Breakfasts:

So Delicious Vanilla coconut milk yogurt with trail mix (almonds, goji berries, golden mulberries, golden raisins.)

22 Days PB + Chocolate Chip protein bar. Not the best flavor, but filling.
Lunch was mostly leftover potato salad this week. When I ran out I bought a Macro Vegetarian "Peking Duck with Shiitake mushrooms," which, blaergh.


I wrote "Peking Suck" at first and that seems more appropriate. I googled the name to find out what it was called and found a funny review (among other entertaining reviews - scroll almost to the bottom to read about the Peking Duck) of the product. I'm typically bored/annoyed with omnis hating on vegan meat analogues but this was just not good, so whatever. "Their delusions make them pitiful, like thirteen-year-olds with imaginary friends, and people who see Jesus in their toast." Bad vegan food does us all an injustice.
I attempted to supplement the chewy "duck" with another chewy vegetable to trick myself into believing I was eating food, thus:

Another lunch to finish out the week:

Santa Rosa pizza from Viva. Roasted garlic, kalamata olives, shredded miso tofu, sundried tomatoes. It was good, even though I meant to order a different slice, whatever.
G is kind and shared his sweets from Body & Soul from the farmer's market:

                                                                     Half a brownie.
1/3 of an oatmeal raisin cookie. This was awesome. Soft and cinnamon-y. Reminds me I ought to bake more.
I ate those as dinner, I guess, along with half a bottle of wine with my friend as we watched THE CRAFT in McCarren Park.
A sky befitting the movie, under an almost-full moon:

                                                         (photo credit, Tara's iphone)
Okay, maybe I'll be less grumpy next post. Or maybe I'll have found a spell that makes meals for me. Tell me something fun, guys.

17 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a film outside in years! It looks like a great evening for it. I'm hoping with the cloud cover came cooler weather (hey, look at all that alliteration! Ha ha!).

    Brownie and pizza, I'll take both. For that horrible Peking Suck. . . we've all had those moments. Never again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great, evocative sentence :) It actually got almost chilly that night.
      Never again, for sure. Now I know.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about the Peking Suck. It doesn't look so good. But the trail mix sounds yummy, and I'm really intrigued with your pizza that had shredded miso tofu "cheese". I wonder how they shred it...freeze it first or something? Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail mix was good! You're probably right about the freezing the tofu. They put a lot of work into making inventive vegan pizzas for a not-totally-vegan place.

      Delete
  3. Not only bake more, but eat more than a third of a cookie. YEP. ;)

    That Peking Duck is my absolute least favourite of that brand of creations. Well, tied with the edamame tofu one, which gave me food poisoning alone in a hostel in New York, but I digress.

    Something fun: I had mung bean-based vegan ice cream in Toronto today and it was my favourite flavour, black sesame, and it was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge cookie! I didn't want to take all of G's treats.
      Yuck, I thought it was you who had mentioned it. maybe it didn't register that you mentioned DISLIKING it.
      mung bean ice cream sounds awesome! Was it dark in color?

      Delete
    2. Hannah Kaminsky told me to try it because it's her favourite, and while I didn't abhor it, it's still my least favourite. If that clears anything up :)

      Nope, not dark in colour! (Except for the black sesame, of course.) According to Lisa, it's made from mung bean milk, like soy milk, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. This made me laugh really hard :)

      Delete
    2. It worked. You must have some special powers.

      Delete
  5. How fun to see the film in the park! I bet that was definitely a lovely night. The baked treats are definitely jumping out to me. I'm craving comforting sweets in my blah times too. The pizza looks incredible as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice night! Hope you are eating the sweets as well as healthier things and feeling better.

      Delete
  6. I'd be bummed too about the crappy yuba — in fact I AM bummed. Yuba should always be good — no excuses. Next week has to be better — at least I hope it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen yuba anywhere else that I've noticed, not sure I'll try it again for a while at least. Unless you want to send me some of those rolls you made :)

      Delete
    2. I have a feeling they wouldn't be so great by the time they reached you. You'll have to come pick them up.

      Delete
  7. Something fun? The collective noun for jellyfish is a smack. Always seemed fun to me. Gutted on the yuba front - I love that stuff. Kind of a revelation that it can in fact be grim as you like. Handy when I have two packets in the cupboard! What was so nasty about it? Texture or taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I never heard that but that's great. A smack of jellyfish. Sounds...tasty. Yuba IS grim. Someone described it as "flabby old person underarm skin." Texture was...flabby and the taste was just not there.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.