Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Aimee Hughes' The Sexy Vegan Kitchen

Crossing Food Project #1 off the list: reviewing Aimee's new cookbook, The Sexy Vegan Kitchen!!
First of all, congratulations to Aimee on publishing her book. She has incredible, healthy, delicious recipes over on her blog but it's always nice to have a tangible collection in hand. It's also easier not to get overwhelmed with making EVERYTHING!
She sent me the PDFs of the book and I wanted to make a ton of recipes from each section (smoothies, soups, salads, drinks, desserts, snacks) but limited myself to four:
First was Carrot Dip with Olives:

This was awesome, and easy to make. I ate it on toast with tomatoes. I also ate it straight from the jar. It's really versatile, which is kind of dangerous because I want to put it on everything.
Aimee has a ton of smoothie recipes in her book,which is great especially for the summer. This is Blueberry Seduction: brazil nuts, collards, frozen blueberries, a few other things.


This Celery salad with Garbanzos was awesome:

Besides the obvious ingredients, there are dates and garlic-stuffed olives in the salad, which gave it an incredible flavor. The parsley was also nice, since it's so detoxifying.

Finally, today, I briefly turned on the oven to make these Almond Butter cookies with Dates. These were good, but kind of difficult to work with. They are very soft and crumble easily so they aren't' exactly the transportable-eat-nine-at-lunch kinda cookie.
Overall, I really liked the book! It has a unique perspective. I feel like eating a clean, vegan diet is best for yr overall health anyway, so it only makes sense that these recipes will increase sexual appetite and pleasure (I won't get into what doing a raw vegan cleanse did for me, BUT!!)
As befitting lovers (unless yr into three+somes) the recipes serve two people, which is cool because I hate to have a ton of leftovers to slog my way through tediously. If you enjoy that, you could easily tweak the recipes to make more. I also appreciate that Aimee uses a mix of "superfoods" and super easy to find foods. Even the ingredients that I wouldn't normally buy (like stevia for the blueberry smoothie) repeat themselves in other recipes, so it's not a buy once and have the exact same amount when you move three years later kinda thing. *Vegans should take note that certain recipes do contain honey. You'd probably be fine swapping agave in.
Aimee provides a very thorough introduction to the ingredients, detailing what each will provide, nourish, and stimulate yr body with. The more you know.
Other recipes I wanted to try in the book: raw brownies, a Bellini, broccoli salad, a Green God/Goddess smoothie, and so on.... I'm sure we've all heard that the way to a person's heart is through their stomach. I honestly do love cooking with a person: it's sexy to see them moving confidently around a kitchen and producing a meal made with love. To then share it with someone you really like can be incredible. Let's move oysters off the top of the aphrodisiac list and eat more greens. Nothing more attractive than a compassionate partner.

23 comments:

  1. I agree about nothing being more attractive than a compassionate partner! Aimee's recipes sound great. I'll be checking out her site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll probably like them! They're pretty simple.

      Delete
  2. That carrot dip sounds really unique and delicious! The collards were ok in a smoothie with a regular blender? I've tried to use kale before but no matter how long i blitzed it the smoothie was always a bit....chewy. Bleh. I'm excited to check out this book and her blog, i need some new ideas lately.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I chop the collards into ribbons first and then blend for a really long time. It's actually worked better for me than kale ever has.

      Delete
  3. Nice review. I've got a copy too and as soon as we get home and start cooking again I'll be posting a review. You've got me really excited to try the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, can't wait to see which ones you've made.

      Delete
  4. I concur with you about cooking with a partner, and a compassionate one at that! I am definitely going to head over and check out her blog. The carrot dip with olives sounds really interesting! The cookies, as they are not portable, must be kitchen sink cookies - you know, the ones you eat over the sink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The tastiest things are eaten over the sink! Drippy peaches, food you just can't wait to get a plate for....

      Delete
  5. Holy smokes, a celery salad is something I'd usually skip over, but dates and chickpeas and olives? Lemme at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The olives sealed the deal for me.

      Delete
  6. Loved your closing sentiment! That chickpea salad has really caught my eye; I happen to have all of those ingredients in my fridge right at this moment...any chance you could share the dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sexy book indeed! I agree with everyone, cooking with a partner is the best. I'll definitely have to check out her site because the recipes sound and look so delicious!! Great review! Oh and that smoothie sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoothie was interesting... I might have enjoyed another one more.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, I especially like the sound of that chickpea-celery salad. And high five to that well-spoken last paragraph, I agree with everything you said there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The salad was great. *High five*

      Delete
  9. Looks like a good selection of recipes to me - I agree that celery salad looks pretty darn tasty. Let me know how the bellini goes too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree. Cooking with another person is extremely annoying. They totally get in the way and try to do things their way.

    On the plus side: extremely impressive *chomp* outta that slice of toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it in my tiny NYC kitchens, you should be okay.
      Thank you!! I was pretty proud of that chomp.

      Delete
  11. Haha, Shen! I can only cook with certain people. Lucky for my sweetie, he's one of them. We have our kitchen "dance" perfected. I know when not to stir his pot, hehe.

    Cooking and sharing a meal with someone can be the best. Especially when the food is healthy and makes you feel good. The recipes look good. I'm interested in that celery salad, for sure.

    Hey, I'm just catching up on some blog readin' and noticed your hunx reference a few posts back. I love me some hunx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, October 19th in Portland! And looks like this week for you!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.