Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Viva Vegan: Not Just an Excuse to Buy Beer

Viva Vegan was another awesome cookbook I've had since it was published and had not made a damn thing out of. That HAD to change. First up was salads, because, you know, I gotta.


This is Spinach-Brazil Nut salad (it was supposed to be served with gazpacho dressing but I was hungry and unprepared and just threw tomatoes in there and hoped it'd be okay. It was.) Also in the salad are hearts of palm, black beans, and sliced onion. A nice change. Hearts of palm are kinda creepy, though, no? Just me?
This is the gazpacho dressing, once I finally got around to not being lazy. Really pretty pink color.

Not exactly sure what the difference is between "gazpacho dressing" and "putting soup on my salad," but I'll take it. Very garlicky, just how I like it. Here I put it on kale salad, with avocado and raw tempeh.


It's been hella hot recently but I braved the oven and made Quick Red Posole with Beans:

Garnished with sliced radishes and avocado, both of which were incredible additions texturally. Looking forward to eating the rest of this soup later this week. It was my first time ever eating or buying hominy. That stuff is bizarre.

The posole liquid is diced tomatoes cooked down and beer! So of course I had to sip on a couple of these Pacificos with the soup. Nice contrast.
I later rewarded the sweating in the kitchen with Real Brown Sugar Limeade (Agua de Papelon.)


So perfect! I added sliced jalapenos, inspired by Jackie's post here. I think it's worth noting that although my corner bodega does not sell pickles or unscented cat litter, they do sell papelon.
Today it cooled down a little, so I cooked Swiss Chard with Raisins and Capers, apparently a classic Spanish combination, and paired it with Zesty Orange Mojo Baked Tofu, based on Cuban flavors.


I kinda overbaked the tofu, but both dishes were really delicious.
I had underestimated how warm the kitchen would get, though, so I was lucky to have saved uhh...two of the Pacifico six-pack. They went to good use in a Michelada, a spicy, salty beer. I had never had one but Terry writes they are "especially suited for fans of beer, Bloody Marys, or salted margaritas." Yes, yes, and yes, thank you!


All these dishes were awesome successes and it was cool to get a taste of Latin veganism. I have a ton more recipes from Viva Vegan highlighted, including the Coconut Tres Leches cake, but that needs a serious celebration, like a wedding or something.
That said, Latin food is pretty heavy and not really my normal food preference. I'll probably skip the entire empanada section due to the insane oil usage and the tamale section because I'm lazy. I really, really wanted to make tostones because plantains are awesome but I can't justify frying. My loss, I know. The Micheladas, though, that I can do. Ya gotta pick yr vices.
This definitely reminds me I still want to pick up Vegan Eats World. Anyone have that and want to recommend certain dishes?

26 comments:

  1. The posole with beans looks so great with the radishes and avocado. I've never cooked posole but I've had it and it's really weird, I agree. I ended up subbing corn in my posole recipe — not the same but still good. The chard and the tofu look really good too. I think overbaking sometimes improves tofu. Both the posole and the gazpacho dressing are bookmarked in my copy but I never made them.

    Before you put the book away, make the green onion salsa on page 44. So amazing. Also maybe the pine nut crema on the next page. I just bought a copy of Vegan Eats World but haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definiely check out the green onion salsa! I'm kinda scared of pine nuts though after Amy's Pine mouth Incident!

      Delete
    2. Pine mouth? Off to Google.

      Delete
    3. That's never happened to me with pignoli cookies.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh everything looks so great! Your salads are beautiful as always. The brown sugar limeade sounds DELICIOUS. I bet it was the perfect treat on an unbearably hot summer day. Oh man, tostones would be SOOOOOOO good but I know what you mean about the frying. I've been loving baked plantain chips from Trader Joe's lately. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love plantain chips! I have to check those at at TJs.

      Delete
  3. I hope this isn't the beginning of a long, hot summer! While it sounds sexy, when we're all red-faced and grumpy everyday, there's nothing sexy about that. Luckily, you've had some refreshing beverages and meals along the way! Jalapenos in beer sounds scary. Ha! "No thank you" to hearts of palm and hominy in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh it is already so gross and sweaty! Didn't know you were anti-hearts of palm!

      Delete
  4. I love hearts of palm, but now that you mention it- it is kind of creepy. Terry did a great ceviche with it on Vegan Mash-up, if you're interested.

    Hominy, huh? I've never had the guts.

    If you like mushrooms, try the feijoada(sp?); it's amazing.

    The Terry tomes are the most under-utilized in my arsenal. It's a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HoP remind me of, like, sliced up bone marrow. Geck. I'll look for the ceviche though. Feijoada was one of the recipes I definitely want to make...maybe when it's cooler.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many things here that I had never heard of until reading American blogs and cookbooks, but which I now love (heart of palm! they're like artichokes!) or very much want to try (hominy! just like... what?).

    Also if I was putting soup on salad, I'd want it to be tom yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was all set to comment on this post and then read Anonymous' comments and said, 'why bother?' They said it way better than I ever could. You definitely managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect. Not only can people take a signal, I'm taking a signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been missing the weird boost of confidence lately that comes from spam. Take the signal!!

      Delete
  8. anything cooked in booze you KNOW is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, plus sometimes there's leftover :)

      Delete
  9. Ok, I know I'm going to be the dunce of the class here - but what's hominy? And you put lime and worcestershire sauce in your beer? Wait, what?

    Cooking with beer, that's good any way you slice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what hominy is! It's just hominy! Although, looking it up, it's maize? That's been treated somehow? Hopefully you'll have googled it by now.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Viva Vegan is a book I often go back to because I love all the Latina flavor combos. Wish I liked beer, though. Spicy limeade is more like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hominy! I love that it has a corn-ish taste, i often add to salads and soups. The gazpacho dressing sounds delicious.... I lovelovelovelovelove gazpacho. The chard sounds so good too! I did have greens made that way a few times in spain, often with spinach and crushed almonds ontop
    Glad you are getting comfortable in the new apt kitchen
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On salads, huh? Very interesting! Gazpacho IS so great! Probably gonna make it a lot this summer. my sister lives in Spain, the only recipes she sends me are for lentils! I'm like, where all the greens at?

      Delete
  13. Gazpacho dressing sounds awesome, but so does pouring soup on your salad. Not gonna lie, I actually do that, and often... It's all about adding flavor to me, so if it's thick enough and taste good, why not? A recent favorite has been creamy (cashew) tomato soup, so this idea would fit right into the standard rotation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.