Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Vejibag

It is awesome to get sent free stuff in the mail, but it is especially awesome when that stuff is practical and eco-friendly.
The kind folks at Vejibag sent me their product to review and, unlike a food item I don't usually eat or will eat but not exactly want to buy again, the Vejibag was a product I'd buy.

                                        It comes with instructions and how-to-use graphics

To be honest, I had seen similar products on blogs for a while and kind of thought it was unnecessary but the bag really does make a difference in keeping vegetables fresh. I especially like to use it with herbs, which wilt so quickly before I can think of how to use up the whole bunch.

                      Parsley looking - dare I say - more fresh than when I first put it in the bag

I feel like I also put a less than fresh head of lettuce in the bag and it came out looking even better than when I bought it. The website says the vegetables stay fresh for up to a week but I usually use the produce before then. The bag definitely helps cut back on wasted food that's gone bad.


The vejibag is also great with greens you simply forget about, or even farmer's market produce that always looks so enticing that you buy too much of (guilty as charged.)

                                          FarMar scallions and kale I had to grab. So green.

It's also nice that it's cotton and easy to wash and I appreciate that it's made by a small *women-owned* company.
Thanks to the folks at Vejibag for the opportunity to try the bag out. I would definitely recommend it to people who don't always have a chance to use up their vegetables in a timely fashion. Though I got the bag for free, it retails for 16 dollars, and I think it's worth it if you consider how much money (not to mention natural resources) get wasted when we trash vegetables that have gotten slimy.
The only problem now is that I still don't know what to do with the rest of those scallions. Ideas?

11 comments:

  1. How cool that you got to review this product! It sounds really great. Produce spoilage can be a big problem for me so this bag would definitely be a huge help in my kitchen! The scallions would probably find a good home in one of your gorgeous salads, a soup or even a salad dressing. OR SCALLION PANCAKES! Omg please make scallion pancakes, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the vote for scallion pancakes!

      Delete
  2. Now this is interesting. We always have something wilting slowly in the crisper, and I'd definitely like to put a lid on that. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was just at Whole Foods and said they took away the plastic produce bags and have paper towels instead. I think we're going to need bags like this to replace the plastic as more retailers become eco-concious. It's cool that they prolong the life of their contents as well as replace the throw-away bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, that's actually a great idea. I hate how my produce gets all sweaty in those bags.

      Delete
    2. They look easy enough to make at home out of a loose weave muslin.

      Delete
  4. Ah that's a great idea, I always get annoyed when my Basil wilts....that sounds rude. Hope there's some sort of UK version :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely need something to keep produce from wilting away when I can't use it up right away. I'll have to check it out, thanks for the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have to admit that I got sucked into those (not) green bags, but I've washed and reused them a zillion times already so I don't feel so guilty. I assume you can throw the vejibag into the wash; I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay yes, I was totally skeptical of the need for this when I started reading, but herbs DO go slimy pretty quickly...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.