Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Vegan at a Long Island Wedding

Yesterday, G and I went out to Long Island for his cousin's wedding.
The ceremony was at the Vanderbilt mansion and museum, which was gorgeous! I didn't bring my camera to the ceremony but I wish I had. The grounds were beautiful, and right on the water. There were fountains overlooking the bay and the day was gorgeous and the sky was so clear. (Also his cousin looked really beautiful.) After the ceremony we were shown on a tour of the house. I'm a history nerd, so I loved it.
Later we drove out to the reception in Long Island's wine country.


Here is Greg limbering up to twerk on the dance floor:

Peep those purp socks. He is a stylish man.
Cocktail hour plate:

FRUIT. Olives. Balsamic roasted vegetables.
Cocktails:

G's whiskey soda, my gin and tonic.
We talked with his cousin, I talked to some lady about books, there was a first dance, there were more cocktails and a champagne toast, dietary restrictions were mentioned, and then we ate salad:

Arugula, radicchio, cucumber, and a balsamic glazed mushroom. There was cheese on top of the salad when it came out but I picked it off.
Palate cleanser:

Lemon sorbet on top of a berry granita-y thingy.

Table Twelve! Kids table aka best table!
The vegetarian entree:

Grilled balsamic vegetables. Definitely solid. The sauce was tangy and sweet and zesty. It was supposed to come with cous cous, maybe? But it didn't. That's okay though because there was already plenty of food.

Prior to the reception, Greg said, "All I want is a cannoli!" The servers brought out trays of mini pastries including cream puffs, tarts, chocolate poofy things, and G ate like 5 ("Wait, but should I try this one?") but saw no cannoli. So he ran across the room to another table, grabbed their cannoli and enjoyed it.
I enjoyed the coffee.
The cake:

It looked very pretty. It was a vanilla cake with chocolate icing between layers inside. Served with ice cream in a little cup that G thought he broke, until we realized the cup was made of chocolate. So that was a nice surprise.
G and I caught a late train back to our respective boroughs and fell the f asleep.
So thank you to G's family for shuttling us around and for making me feel like part of the ever-growing family. I had a really fun day and night under the Supermoon. Congratulations to the newlyweds...
Also, hi Ben. You're a good person.

25 comments:

  1. Great socks! When you come home from a wedding feeling happy and included in the family, you know that both the family and the event were pretty great. Sounds like a wonderful event in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It was pretty low key, too, for how much work was probably put into all of it, so that was really nice too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was beautiful! I have a lot of critiques of marriage/the wedding industrial complex, but at the end of the day, I love a good wedding. Especially if you like the B&G (or G&G or B&B). Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the wedding industrial complex, completely. But the families seemed happy, so I guess that's what matters. I really haven't been to all that many weddings so it was kind of interesting to be there from an anthropological standpoint, haha.

      Delete
    2. Haha I agree with you both, I have a lot of critiques as well and I work in it!

      Delete
  3. Cheers to the socks, and the gin and tonic, and the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was windy but warm and damned if I wasn't going to make it a G&T day.

      Delete
  4. Fancy Schmancy!!!! Greg's family knows how to do it right. Hope you gave a gift of appropriate value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. We gave them a spiralizer, ha!

      Delete
    2. 'We'? This must've been one helluva Spiralizer....

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great time! I love the picture of Greg stretching - too funny! It looks like a beautiful setting for a wedding, and the meals looked really elegant as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful! The shots got darker and harder to get as the night went on but everything was really lovely. I only wish I'd gotten a shot of the supermoon, too!

      Delete
  6. OMG I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the Vanderbilt Mansion!!! It is so gorgeous, the view there is absolutely incredible and the mansion itself is amazing. I'm also obsessed with the sun dial and the cobblestone courtyard. I didn't know that they did ceremonies there, I've only been there for portraits.. What a beautiful choice!

    Which Vineyards did you go to? I can't tell from the photos. I love Vineyard Caterers but from what I can see it doesn't look like it? Rafael's maybe?

    Anyway, sounds like you had a really lovely day and I can understand why you'd be exhausted after it! Congrats to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thought about you a lot when we were out there! You probably would have done a nicer job than the professional photographers they hired.
      Yeah, the ceremony was in the cobblestone courtyard, it was a beautiful setting.
      The reception wasn't actually at a vineyard, but nearby at Giorgio's way out in Calverton. Dunno if you've been there.
      You must see a lot of this stuff shooting weddings! It looks like hard work!

      Delete
    2. Now I'm curious about who they hired ;) I can only imagine how gorgeous that ceremony was.

      Ahhh yes Giorgio's! I haven't worked there myself but I've edited jobs from that hall.

      Oh yes you see a lot! I've learned a lot too... I can button a bride into her dress in 1-2 minutes flat, haha! I always laugh at the irony considering I am not sure I want to get married and if I do I definitely don't want a big, extravagant wedding... or a traditional wedding in any sense :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like some highly respectable food options for a non-vegan wedding, but more importantly, it looks like it was a whole lot of fun. Congratulations to the happy couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I don't know what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  8. The vanderbuilt mansion is so gorgeous!! Great that the veg options included the two most important food groups: roasted veggies and cocktails :)))
    Greg has some legit style- what were you wearing?? Sounds like a fun action packed day
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! A lot of stuff on LI is really pretty and I ought to take more trips out there. I would have been happy enough with cocktail hour but then there was SO much more food!
      Ha, G and I kind of matched... I had a mauve drop waist dress that he said I actually looked nice in, and "not weird like you usually do in dresses."

      Delete
  9. If only everything I'd even broken turned out to be made of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! I wish! Queen midas over here.

      Delete
  10. Ahh, I've never seen Greg before! He's a good looking dude (even though I can't see his face, ha ha). Seriously though (well I was serious before), tall, skinny and stylish is a good combination. :) At least you got lots of veggies at the wedding! And at least the cheese was pick-off-able.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why is it that every omni wedding that (thankfully) caters to vegans has the fruit/olives/balsamic roasted veggies/something missing from the entree going on? Hilarious! Glad you had a nice time. I've never been to the Vanderbilt but it sounds pretty awesome. Too bad you hadn't smuggled in some Vegan Treats' cannolis. Maron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're right. I haven't been to many weddings (or any? post vegan?) but it sounds like it's the case. Whatever, I like roasted vegetables :)
      Now you have me craving vegan cannoli....

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.