Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Peacefood Downtown

Despite having a pretty awesome (if occasionally frustrating and smelly and expensive and anxiety inducing) city at my disposal, I'm a very territorial person and rarely venture out of my geographical comfort zone (which unfortunately has to include work, though not very comforting a place to be.) This means that, right now, I'm one of those "I don't go above 14th street" people, which UGH.
It has long been a plan of mine to visit a particular exhibit at the Museum of Natural History and stop at Peacefood, a vegan cafe, on the Upper West Side but it is SO HARD for me to get out of the house, let alone the comfort zone. Anyway, lucky for me (?), now I can be lazy and territorial and give up on plans and just visit the new Peacefood Downtown since it's only a block away from work.
I'd previously just been in to grab a vegan cookie or mini brownie (why don't I have pictures of those?) but always eyed the menu.
G and I went on lunch the other day. It's very spacious and light inside and there was plenty of seating. The waitress was attentive and the food came pretty quickly, which is nice because I always get anxious "getting lunch" that it'll take longer than my hour and suggfkgfra it ruins the whole lunch. Maybe I should just, like, breathe or something.
ANYWAY G got the Tempeh Avocado sandwich, a pretty standard vegan sandwich:


Served with jicama slices. He wasn't especially impressed, although he often says he doesn't like tempeh soooo maybe that was part of it?? Apparently it was cut a little to thick for his liking and would have been better sliced like tempeh bacon. I tried a bite and it was good but nothing special. It was a little flavorless and the bread was maybe a bit too dense for the sandwich.
I got the Caesar salad, also something that shows up on vegan menus pretty frequently but is never quite done exactly the same way.


There were thin tempeh chunks in the salad, that added a good bit of flavor, but isn't really traditional. The inclusion of tomatoes was also kind of weird, especially since they were just regular, watery, not yet summer tomatoes. The croutons on top were good and garlicky, though, and overall, I liked the salad.
Maybe we didn't order especially well but there isn't exactly anything that stood out on the menu as "must try" or "will never see on any other menu ever." I HAVE heard good things about the chickpea fries, from a reputable source, and the juices sound good.
The chocolate chip cookies are a different story. Greg has deemed them the "new best cookies in the neighborhood," ousting even his favorite Paradis! I will have to go back and get shots of those for youseguys.
Also of note, G tossed me the check and said, "Yeahh.... I think I'm gonna let you  buy me this one." (Not that it was especially expensive - I paid it without complaining BUT STILL GREG)
One of these days I'll get up to the AMNH. And now, it is HOT and I must bid you good evening.

23 comments:

  1. Maybe the other Peacefood cafe is better.

    A friend tried to get me to follow her downtown in my car so she could take me to a great grocery store and then get on the Interstate to go home without having to come all the way back to my house (she lives sort of far from me) but I said, "but then I'd have to drive back home." I couldn't quite do that. I understand your dilemma. I, too have my boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to try to get up there!!
      When will we invent teleportation? I would go then, maybe.

      Delete
  2. NYC can definitely be a full-on sensory overload. I found it so much harder to visit than to live there because that meant no home base to retreat to. Although I also always worked way, WAY above 14th St., so I couldn't ever stay all that close to home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. A person's home is their castle.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of awesome vegan food everywhere...I had it so good in Austin but I think I took it for granted! Luckily Toronto is soon. :) Oh Greg, such a gentleman. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I shouldn't really be complaining about how I have to take a subway ride to eat delicious vegan food.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a regular place, if you aren't looking for wowee. Sometimes it's good to have just simple, normal food. My husband loves to hand me the check! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad, I just expected better. The decor almost makes you think it would be. The prices are decent.

      Delete
  5. Alright then, Greg, you need to take Maud out to dinner! ;) At least you know that you can always come for dessert! If you pop in again, perhaps it'll be more flavorful?

    Did you make it to the exhibit at the museum? I don't know why, but I always feel at home in bookstores and museums - like I could be there for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, I owed him this, probably.
      I still haven't been to the exhibit. It's about food! It closes in August... I will report back if I get up there.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you got out a bit! I can become easily overwhelmed when there's too much sensory stimulation, so we tend not to stay in busy areas too long. Thus, my love of nature (aka quiet solitude).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to New York City? I can imagine its a huge change of pace for you guys. But there are nice parks for the dogs :)

      Delete
  7. Really, you bypassed the chickpea fries!? I agree with everything you & G said about the sammie(s) and your salad looks- sorry: pathetic. I highly recommend the Asian Greens salad; it's so good that I can forgive the few pieces of cilantro hiding inside. I notice you mentioned the chocolate chip cookie, but not the chocolate chip cookie SANDWICH; please be on the lookout for it. My friend mailed me one when I was in my 8th day of no power during Hurricane Sandy . They're macaroons are delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alhfsihd I know!! I didn't really want to go too crazy on food at lunch, and wanted something kinda substantial and healty, LAAAAMME.
      I haven't noticed the cookie sandwich, but I'm not really a fan so maybe I missed it. WILL on the Asian greens though.

      Delete
  8. That is one lame looking Salad. I can see why G wouldn't want to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely understand the boundaries. I've always felt very overwhelmed by NYC and funny enough I tend to spend all of my time there below 14th Street. And let's be real, it's very little time lol.

    I've only tried Peacefood Desserts as well. The first year I went vegan my brother was so nice and got me like 10 desserts from there for my birthday. The cookie sandwich was so yummy!! Never had anything off the menu, now I don't think I'd bother trying anyway. Bummer the food wasn't better but I remember being intrigued by the chickpea fries when I saw the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's less hectic above 14th and we don't even know it.
      That's really nice of him to have gotten you so many treats! Do you remember which one you liked most?

      Delete
  10. I live by the OTHER one. I'm not impressed either with all the other choices we have. Make yourself a socca or faranata and you'll have the flavor of their chickpea fries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the important lesson here is just eat more desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg- ?!? I assume you will return the "favor" back to him at some point....i went to peacefood on the uws a while ago and the tofu scramble was good, nothing newsworthy tho.
    I always end up at angelika's kitchen or quintessence downtown-the "thai me up" at angelikas is crave worthy.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.