Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Food Bank Challenge: Having Fun on a Budget

AYYYYYY. Okay a couple of days thus far have acutally been a challenge because I had pre-made plans. On Thursday G and I went to a queer comedy show at BAM. I met him in the area after walking around Ft. Greene Park for a while and we went to a Mexican restaurant, Habana.

Outdoor seating!!! This was before it started to POUR and I slipped on the floor bruising my arm.
It's not especially expensive for a Mexican place but I didn't want to drop the rest of my dollahs on the second day, cuz duh. So we split a guacamole burrito (no queso) and got a side of sweet plantains.

                                                        served with pickled jalapenos


This was about 6 dollahs for me. The burrito was good, the plantains not so much. Also a couple a dese:

Kelso (local Brooklyn) beer for 3 bux each, not bad. I am NOT counting beer on this challenge, though!! For one, you can't buy beer with food stamps anyway and two, I drink a lot of beer.
Batmobile ride in the seating area:

Yeah!!! Anyway the show at BAM was pretty funny. Below is a picture of Tig Notato, who was hilarious.


Phew. Then, Saturday, I went to a Mets game with a friend. I started the day with the usual coffee and almond milk, and then ate some overnight oats soaked with a spoonful of peanut butter. I mashed a banana in in the morning.


This kept me full enough through the game.


It was a gorgeous day for a game, even though the Mets lost. Even when I'm not on a tight budget, I don't often buy food at a ballgame because the prices are insane. I did have a couple beers, though, because in the words of Homer J. Simpson, without beer, "I never realized how boring this game is."
I got kinda buzzed and since the day was so beautiful, I walked the last third of the way home.




Unfortunately I got kinda lost.... these are some photos I took along the way, but turns out I was in the same area my roommate actually INTENDED to be last week, and she wrote a pretty crazy post about that, with better pictures than I take.
NEEDLESS TO SAY when I finally got home I wanted to eat everything but instead took a nap, haha. And THAT's how to save money on food. Drink beer instead and sleep it off.

20 comments:

  1. I'm in Williamsburg right now! I ate an enormous pickle at the Brooklyn Flea Market today! I saw macro sushi and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! First of all, you pictures are so pretty! I love the ones you took on the way home from the game. The one with the reflection of the clouds in the puddle is amazing! The oatmeal looks delicious and the burrito sounds really delicious. Bummer about the plantains though. I used to like sweet plantains but now I only like the savory ones.

    It's nice to see someone else with Mets pride! I don't follow baseball anymore but I was bred to be a Mets fan as a kid so it always makes me smile when you mention them :)

    " And THAT's how to save money on food. Drink beer instead and sleep it off." LOL that is so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sky was so clear that all that nasty polluted water reflected the light really well, haha. I'm pretty sure I actually never liked sweet plantains; I'd much rather have them savory. Or in chip form :)
      Gotta love the mets. Even though they consistently stink. It's no wonder you don't follow them anymore.

      Delete
  3. First of all, I love Tig Notaro! That bit about Taylor Dayne. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it. Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you...

    I love grilled burritos. And I miss flour tortillas. Too bad the plantains weren't that great, because great plantains are pretty awesome.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she was so funny! She didn't do the Taylor Dane just but I just listened to it; it's great, haha.
      I think this is the first time I've had a grilled burrito. It was good! I ate the plantains with hot sauce and it helped.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was delicious. Perfect size to share, too.

      Delete
  5. HA! When faced with sleep or hunger, I usually choose sleep too. There's not much better than a great snack after a great nap.

    I think both days sound pretty amazing, and beer is absolutely exempt from this budget challenge. I have approved it, so it makes it okay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the go-ahead. I'll take that and run with it :)

      Delete
  6. You are so awesome! I do not believe I've read anything like that before. So great to find someone with some original thoughts on this issue. Seriously...thanks for starting this up. This site is something that is needed on the web, someone with some originality!

    Tig NotaRo not NotaTo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the plantains, although I'm glad the burrito was good. Both look excellent, though!

    You had a busy time with the show and game! Looks like an interesting walk home, especially with that cool graffiti. I love the bike, too.

    lol @ Shen. Gotta love those trolls! Although, I've got to agree that you are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty busy week. It's nice to get some downtime in every once in a while, though.
      The bikes are pretty cool but it's kinda of sad because they're ghost bikes commemorating where bikers have been hit and killed and they are all over the place.

      Delete
  8. +1 for a beer-filled weekend! I may have done close to the exact same thing this past weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those damn sweet plantains get me every time. It's the tostones I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's certainly what I was expecting. Where have you gotten tostones?

      Delete
  10. First of all, I really like your photos. Second of all, I'm pretty sure you can't exclude beer from the budget. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.