Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

Food Bank Challenge, day 3

Variety is the spice of life, for sure.
Another b-a-n-a-n-a--n-a-na- for breakfast. A carrot for a snack. Leftover collard salad. THEN MY FRIEND GAVE ME A GARLIC SCAPE and dinner was fun again.


Thanks Jon! After wearing it around my neck for a while and petting it like a snake, I cut it into little pieces, like I would never do to a snake.
Chickpeas mashed with tahini, Braggs, olive oil, cayenne pepper, and the scape made a nice filling for a collard wrap. Tomatoes on top.


So far my advice for interesting, healthy food on a budget is to cook up a large batch of something that will last a while in the fridge and play around with it during the week. Chickpeas, for example, are good on salads, can be roasted, can be smashed into a sandwichy filling, made into hummus, or using ingredients that are most likely found at any given time in a well-stocked vegan pantry (buy bulk to save more!) turned into chickpea burgers or falafel!
And ya know where you can buy garlic scapes now? The Farmers' market! (Though this one was from a local co-op.) I walked through the Union Square market today (briskly, so as not to be tempted to spend the rest of the budget at once on a pint of blueberries) and saw the EBT stand.


You don't need to use up yr food stamps getting canned beans and chips from the bodega. A lot of farmers markets will accept them and change them for tokens you can buy on fresh vegetables.(Though I assume this would still be a splurge for most people.)
Speaking of garlic scape usage, after a night that somehow became Jon and I drinking at 2 am at weird bars in Ridgewood and him, starving, we stopped at his apartment to get his groceries that we would cook at my place. He grabbed mustard greens, a garlic scape, and a carrot. I provided chickpeas, spinach, Braggs, and a pan. I drunk-chopped and he drunk-peeled the skin off all the chickpeas (!!!!) and picked up what I dropped on the floor, haha.


It's not a fabulous picture (beer, 2:30 am) but it's a funny story and a filling, tasty meal that hopefully soaked up some of the Spaten. ALSO SORRY RANDALL FOR COOKING AT 2:30.

14 comments:

  1. Your food is still looking healthy and delicious on a super small budget. Good tips about the chickpeas. I especially think that your wrap filling looks good.

    I'm glad that farmers markets are taking food stamps. I just did this project for my community health class, and part of it was assessing food access in my area. Not surprising, Portland has easy access to fresh food/produce in almost all areas, but not sure that the smaller farmers markets take the food stamp card. Also, not sure how far the $$ would go at our markets. Fresh produce,yes. Low prices, not always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really got to visit Portland. That sounds like an interesting project, something I'd definitely love to hear more about. It's easier in the richer parts of NY to find fresh produce, but not so much where its especially needed. Prices at the markets here are not really all that low, either. It's too bad.

      Delete
  2. tee-hee, i love yr drunk cooking story. i'm glad you didn't lose a finger.

    i'm so glad farmer's markets accept EBT. that doesn't solve everything, but it's a decent start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I didn't lose a finger either! I think it's about confidence, haha! I've definitely hurt myself more while sober, ha.
      It doesn't solve much, really. A lot of undocumented workers don't have ID and can't get food stamp benefits, and a lot of food stamp recipients don't have time to fill out the paper work or other necessary work to get to the EBT station. But yes, it's a start.

      Delete
  3. I like that your drunk cooking looks better than my sober cooking!

    I'm pretty impressed how healthy all your food is even on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think healthy food really isn't all that much more expensive than less healthy options. maybe if I bought tofu or nuts or a different protein than beans.

      Delete
  4. Oh man your food looks so good. Lol I love the drunk cooking story! I'm impressed and fascinated that he was able to peel chickpeas while drunk at 2:30 am. My mind is blown by that, ha!

    So jealous that you got to the Union Square market. It's so beautiful there and I can see how you'd be tempted by yummy berries :) Very cool about the EBT stand too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was like "just throw them in the pan" and he was like "but... I like to peel..." It was really hilarious.
      The US market is great! I'm curious about the ones on Long Island! Have you noticed an EBT stand there?

      Delete
  5. Does the Spaten count towards your budget?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really impressed at your inebriated coordination. Random bars are the best kind. And mystified because drunk food for me is either fried or ice cream- never something so healthy....! The farmers market has awesome deals when they are closing, lots of $1-2bags of awesome produce that was full price hours earlier.
    Love your apology to "randall"! Hahahaha
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream drunk! Never done that. You could make a Guinness ice cream float :)
      THANKS for the tip on the end of day far mar produce! I will have to try that.

      Delete
  7. Glad to know the budget challenge is going well! That is one healthy meal after a few brews. I'd be much worse. Like a breakfast burrito. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was almost time for breakfast.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.