Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Food Bank Challenge, day 1

THE CHALLENGE HAS COMMENCED.
The groceries I bought thus far (collard greens, spinach, 4 bananas, dried chickpeas, a bag of carrots, peanut butter, tomatoes, and oatmeal) have cost $19.46 alreadyyy. I'll start taking bets on how long before I waste away starving or cave and order an entire vegan pizza.
Luckily I'm never super hungry in the mornings so I just had a spoonful of peanut butter with my coffee (and almond milk.) (Does coffee and milk count?) (Sorry no exciting pic.) (Sorry all the parentheses.)
Banana at work around 12:30


Lunch was a third of this raw collard salad: onion, collards, olive oil, salt, apple cider vinegar, and tomatoes with nooch.


We can use condiments and spices that we already had, so thank goodness for that. Otherwise I'd be gnawing on a raw leaf.
Two carrots as a snack later.
And dinner. I had soaked dry chickpeas in the morning and was pretty hungry by the time I got home but luckily the chickpeas cooked up pretty quickly.


Raw spinach, cooked chickpeas with pickled jalapenos and cumin. Way, way too spicy and not enough salt but I wasn't going to let that get between me and my dinner.
Also here is a picture of Haxan from monday. I didn't get much accomplished that day because it was raining so much but I think my proudest and most productive moment was getting her to stay still for this abuse. Bandana Baby!!!

13 comments:

  1. $19.46 for all of that is pretty terrific. I think it's great that you're doing this challenge!

    Love the bandana pic. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, molly! I'm not actually sure how well I'll do, especially with father's day this weekend... But I'll do my best.

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, I'm never complaining about food prices AGAIN. $20 for only those items? Seriously, how can anyone live on the suggested challenge of $31/week/person in NYC? Horribly sad.

    On a lighter note, +1 for the bandanna cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I could have bought more sensible items or shopped around a bit better. A different brand of oatmeal could have made a big difference. BUT YES prices here are insane for everything. Rents to match.

      Delete
  3. NYC food prices are the worst! Ugh, I remember the bad produce at too-high prices all too well. (Would it be cheating to use the working discount at a co-op for this challenge?) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haxan in a scarf? I love it!

    I'm not entirely sure this looks much different than your everyday eats, but I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she chic? (Not as chic as 89 in Moo Shoes, though.)

      Delete
  5. The first day is probably the easiest, but you seem to have a good ability to stay within a budget, and the food so far looks good, but I know it will be more and more challenging as the month rolls on. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily it's only a week but I have no doubt it'll get tight towards the end of the challenge.

      Delete
  6. I guess this must have something to do with the previous post that I never read. Anyway, I have too much food down here. I can mail you some. Additionally, don't forget to mooch off G and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff notes on last post: anti-hierarchy.
      Apparently I'm not supposed to accept "handouts." Also my mom is not talking to me so that is moot.

      Delete
  7. oh mah gahhh that cat looks so CUTTEEEE

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.