Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Recent (Or Not So) Roundup

Hey guys. Thanks for reading that long review of Peaceable Kingdom, and thanks for all the comments. If you get the chance to see it if it comes through your town, tell everyone they should go!
Meanwhile, here's a kind of catchall post I started a week or so ago.
I missed Cinco de Mayo (well, I mean, I existed on that day but I missed celebrating it properly) so here is a lunch I ate to celebrate way after the fact:


Spinach, red cabbage, tomato, scallion, carrot, and lots of avocado. Properly doused in lime juice and salt and peppered. I enjoyed a handful of these Food for Life jalapeno tortilla chips on the side. As with Cinco de Mayo, temps have been increasing. Thusly, iced coffee:

(full disclosure, my roommate has heart-shaped ice cube trays. It didn’t just melt like that.) I brew the coffee double strength and add almond milk and plenty o ice.
Also a cooling lunch, this beet-berry smoothie from Gena at Choosing Raw.

I’ve made it before and remember liking it slightly more, but I may have accidentally added less orange than the recipe called for. I used a blood orange (more color coordinated and same price as the navel), frozen strawberries and fresh blueberries, and added spinach and protein powder. Speaking of,

Boom! I had a 5 dollar off coupon for this brand. I figure it’s cheaper than buying the occasional single packs of Vega. This is the vanilla chai flavor and it doesn’t blend as smoothly as Vega, but otherwise I have no complaints.
Other raw stuff:

Picked up the blueberry-acai flavor of the raw sprouted cereal from the bulk bins at Whole Foods.
Other salads:

Spinach, tofu, red cabbage, tomato, scallion, carrots. Later to be doused in the leftover pad thai sauce.
Spinach, tofu, sprouts, and some cauliflower I roasted with coconut oil and pav bhaji spices. So great.
Spinach, raw broccoli, chopped pickles, Dr. Praeger burger.
 
Haxafrass enjoying the sunshine:

You can tell this is an old post because now there is no more sunshine. Out I trek into the rain, to check out a vegan stand at a fair in ye olde Ridgewood (okay it's in a beer hall so that's added incentive.)

25 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your never-ending variety of salads. You always make them look so good, and they are always different from the last one. Gorgeous pic of kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have similar ingredients a lot of the time but I try to keep things fresh, and not just the produce. :)

      Delete
  2. It may be post cinco de mayo but I detect a decidedly red/green theme going on here. Not that there's anything wrong with that. How can you eat just a handful of Food for life chips? I have a hard time stopping my hand from going back into the bag. My last Dr. P burger was too, too mushy. Seriously mushy, and I cooked it in a frying pan to make it firm. It will take me a while to recover before I can eat another one, but burgers in salad is a favorite lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens a lot! I just love tomatoes. Although I bought some orange ones recently, so maybe the salads will look more.. Irish or something.
      I tried to control myself with the chips... maybe it was a LARGE handful.
      Been eating Hilary's burgers on salads recently - they hold up much better, but not as inexpensive.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all of the salad inspiration! I can't wait to get on it this week. :) Leftover pad thai sauce sounds pretty awesome. I want to make a peanut sauce (all of my Whole Foods locations have stopped carrying the version I liked. Boo hiss!) and douse salads / vegetables / everything in it.

    Haxan! Remy is not much of a sun-worshipper, but it is adorable when animals do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my pleasure on the salad front. When we blog about delicious salads, everyone wins. And yes EVERYTHING is so good in peanut sauce! There are probably a lot of great recipes out there.
      Good thing Remy isn't a sun worshipper, since it seems like it just keeps snowing in Colorado!

      Delete
  4. The salad queen strikes again!! Such a beautiful assortment of bright, colorful salads. Hooray for iced coffee season! I may have enjoyed a few iced coffees so far this season ;) Decaf of course! The beet berry smoothie is such a gorgeous color and isn't that cereal the best?!

    Haha cute pic of Haxan! My brother's cats stretch out in the sun too :) Boo for the gross weather now! Definitely not iced coffee weather today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like iced coffee all season round... I wanna make some cold brew soon!
      The blueberry cereal was good - I think I prefer the chocolate more, though.

      Delete
  5. Does idyllic Ridgewood have potholes? If so, watch out.

    It's neat when cats stay in the sun so long it burns your hand to touch their fur.

    I agree with Andrea, I will never buy another mushy Dr. Praegers burger again. He's probably not even a real doctor. I want to see his diploma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No potholes, everything is perfect in Ridgewood. I love the many other colors you can see in cats' fur when they sit in the sun! Haxan gets kinda stripey and reddish.
      Been reading about quack doctors recently. If Dr. Praeger is the worst one I ever encounter, I'll be okay with that.

      Delete
  6. Are you coming to VVC, o salad-y one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No :( But I'll be reading the coverage... I assume you are?? Lucky! I think I'll wait til next year (Chicago?)

      Delete
    2. Oooh! They're doing them yearly from now on? ZOMG! Yep Imma be there in just a few sleeps!

      Delete
  7. Oh man, all those salads! Now I just want to go chop up all the vegetables and eat them immediately. I also missed Cinco de Mayo--it was the day after my MIL's wedding in Michigan, and there is just not much Mexican food at all two hours north of Lansing, shockingly enough--but at least we had some classic beer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer is a good way to celebrate most holidays. And most normal days.

      Delete
  8. The stock of your new place just increased exponentially with those heart ice cube trays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? Pretty sure it made the coffee taste cooler.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a delicious way to celebrate!! Love your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burgers in salad? Why have I never tried this before?!

    Such a pretty smorgasbord of salads - the colours are like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty easy protein addition, and more fun than my usual boring tofu. Though, if you really like the flavor of a burger it sometimes gets lost in the rest of the ingredients.

      Delete
  11. Awesome salads and a cat picture. That's why I come here.

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.