Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2013

DIY or Die

Hey okay so yesterday was cool! It was the second annual Brooklyn Zine Fest at Public Assembly in Williamsburg.

I volunteered to help set up in the morning so I was there at 9, fueled by coffee and gf toast with almond butter.

Did not eat the apple. After and hour and a half or so, I walked to the Williamsburg waterfront. It was a gorgeous day.

I schmoooozed for a while at the zine fest with another food zine editor from DC (Shen, go find them - Runcible Spoon!) and a couple friends, got some zines and headed home.
Zinesters love pins, if you didn't know. Now you know.
Lunch:

Romaine, tempeh, broccoli, tomato, red onion in a thinned hummus dressing with nooch and turmeric.
Greg came over and we walked the hood, got a couple groceries and, unsatisfied with the local pastry shop’s vegan offerings, came home and make our own cookies. DIY was the theme of the day, obviously.
Picture heavy, here is how you (I) make Pecan-Ginger Cookies from Ripe from Around Here by Jae Steele:
Okay first ya gotta choppity chop fresh ginger.

make yr first and only YouTube hit kitchen cooking show.

Then, look really angrily into yr bag of flour.

Next, dump a little too much salt into the bowl with the flour.
Check, and check again that yr doing everything wrong, then check again to make three times and three is the magic number so that makes everything yr doing right.

make sure yr little babycat is fed too or else she’ll jump onto the counter in a jealous food rage.

(Interlude – you do whatever you want, maybe put on some B-52s and dance while yr partner takes pretty pictures)

Oh yes I forgot to mention, this is my first time buying and using barley malt. Lookit that pretty barley malt.

Choppity chop some pecans, watch them fly all over the counter.

measure out the dried cranberries.

Give yr partner something else to do. “Are you okay? Are you mad at me? Are you bored? Here, stir this dough. But not too much! That’s too much! Just until the flour is incorporated! I'm gonna dance to the B-52s now!

Dollop out some dollops.

Add chocolate chips at the last mo cuz “everything is better with chocolate chips,” yr partner insists.

Step whatever, bake fer 14 minutes NOT 16 cuz THEY WILL BURN not that I ever burn anything I always do everything exactly correctly, then cool and eat ya cookies!

Cookies taste best while reading zines. Speaking OF (how serendipitous of me to steer the conversation in this direction!), not having internet means you can finish a new zine in like two weeks, rather than two months.
And....Happy Earth day.

40 comments:

  1. Best recipe post ever! I think vegans and anti-war-ians must love buttons as much as ziners. Love all the pics of you, yay! And the video? What can I say? I was held in suspense every second that I watched, wondering if you would be able to pile all of the ginger pieces into that spoony and dump them into the bowl. Thank goodness you were successful before the video stopped! The end result looked fab. And, I agree with your partner: everything is better with choc chips. Think I'm gonna go grab a handful right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PINS FOR THE WIN! Hahah I know, we should have made the ginger scooping a cliffhanger for next time. Grab some chocolate chips for me too.

      Delete
  2. You're the Teamster Zinester! (or is it Zinester Teamster?)

    'Runcible Spoon' sounds unnecessarily pretentious.

    Wish I'd thought to add Tempeh to my Salad last week. Would've really helped.

    Those Cookies look like a ton of work. Were they good?

    Most importantly: Is G going to move into the new apartment with you. Maybe your zine readers can vote 'yay' or 'nay' in the next issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, gonna make a new union-powered zine and print up buttons that say Zinester Teamster (I think it's the latter.) The cookies weren't too much work but that's because Greg helped.
      Greg is welcome to come visit whenever he wants.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, but I might make another video and say it's me but have a different person in it. So ya never know.

      Delete
  4. I wish you'd been cooking in the magazine kitchen last week instead of Curtis Stone.

    Also RUNCIBLE SPOON!! I was reciting Owl and the Pussycat to myself two days ago. Because I am THAT cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are cooler than I am - I had to look up the runcible reference. But I LIKE IT!

      Delete
  5. I loved that post and I was excited to not only see pictures of you but a video to boot! It's always nice to put a face with a blog. :)

    Looks like a fun day with the zine fest and cookie making. Dancing to the B-52's sounds like a great time, too! I love their music & used to dance to it a lot "back in the day" when I was teen.

    I've only used barley malt in pup treats. Now that Rowan can't have it anymore, cookies might have to be made with it..... they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with being able to put a face to the anonymous internet persona, that's really the only reason I did it - hoping other people will reciprocate!
      Barley malt is pretty interesting, I don't know what else to use it in...

      Delete
  6. You are the CHARMING-EST! Love this post and yr cute video. Those cookies sound delish. Wonder if I can gluten-free-anize them?

    Yay zine fest! I have so many pins! Boxes full o' buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you :D I'm sure the cookies would be great GF, or you could just eat the pecans and dried cranberries straight...

      Delete
  7. Love, love this post! "As you notice, I'm not using my hands because that's unsanitary," ha ha! Just like a cooking show! I loved feeling like we were together just hanging out in your kitchen one afternoon. Tell Greg "thank you" for me - I appreciate his camera skills in capturing the awesomeness that is Maud. :)

    Congrats on finishing another 'zine! What sort of feedback did people give you on yours at the 'zine fest? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some pretty good feedback about this zine! I'm pumped. G and I might make another show so stayyyyyy tuned.

      Delete
  8. You are adorable!!! That must be the smallest knife ever though- it must have taken forever to do your mincing and chopping with such precision.... I assume you just skipped the "eat some of the dough raw because vegan cookie dough you must eat raw" step in that recipe :)
    Did you forget to announce major news on the blog??? (Left hand ring finger jewelry!!?)
    Ttrockwood(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'aw thanks. The knife was definitely not the best choice. There are actually a lot of missing steps, haha, so eat as much raw dough as you want.
      I wouldn't say I forgot to announce anything...

      Delete
  9. I <3 Barley Malt syrup and DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Do you sew yr own? Is that why the jerseys are so cheap?

      Delete
  11. Looks like a great day! And it's been so long since I've had cookies with pecans - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome day :) Go grab some pecans!

      Delete
  12. I love this post! Your kitty is super adorable and I love your 'staring angrily at the flour' picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haxancat thanks you for yr compliment.

      Delete
  13. Ahhhh yay for this post!!! OMG I love everything about it! Zine Fest sounds like so much fun and I bet there were so many great people there! Congrats on finishing a new issue of your zine!! Sounds like you've been a busy bee :)

    OMG I love love love the step by step recipe + pics! The cookies sound so delicious and yes, everything is indeed better with chocolate. I've never tried barley malt syrup, I'm intrigued. Lol I like the staring angrily at the flour pic too. So good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been trying to keep busy. The cookies would probably have turned out better if you made them.

      Delete
  14. Aw, use your hands. It's not like you're selling them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I did at the end. It took freakin forEVA.

      Delete
  15. The zine fest sounds so rad--I bet it's full of mostly awesome people having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would even go so far as to say all the people were awesome :)

      Delete
  16. Nothing can go wrong with a bit of B52s on loud (alright, maybe something can go wrong - those extra two minutes on the cookies, maybe!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, I know! The CD ran just a little too long! But it was worth it.

      Delete
  17. Great post! It was so much fun to read, and I loved seeing you in the cookie-making bit. The leap from no photos of yourself to a video is pretty impressive. I haven't been brave enough for that yet. So, were the cookies as good as they look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. The cookies were very good. Very gingery. And...I was able to scrape off most of the burned parts.

      Delete
  18. your kitty is pretty! i want the new issue of your zine! i am working on my next issue for june. i kinda want to go with a birthday theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a beauty! I'll send you a copy. Tradesies again?

      Delete
    2. i got it! thank you! omg - i can't believe my old address labels got mixed in with the last zine! thanks! i will send you the next issue of my zine when it is finished!

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.